Is the BK airport likely to close ???

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » January 7, 2014, 7:34 am

Hi Folks

We are due to travel out on the 26th of January Glasgow-Dubai-Bangkok and back on the 21st Feb, with all the potential unrest is there likely to be flight disruptions or cancellation, ive not really been keeping up on events but my wife keeps asking everyday if we can still go , all the airline said is that the flight is still planning to fly.

I guess its maybe just a case of seeing how things develope but if anyone has any advice , it would be much appreciated , cause no doubt the wife will be asking again tommorow , she seems to be getting snippets of information from friends but not sure how accurate it is

Cheers

SJP17

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » January 7, 2014, 8:21 am

Er....my advise is, you need to see how things develop.....unless you have a crystal ball.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 7, 2014, 8:39 am

Impossible to know how things are likely to develop.
Both sides seem to actually care little except getting their noses in the trough & to hell with the consequences.

Currently they are both saying that the Swampy will not be isolated, but who knows once it all kicks off.

Sorry can't be more positive but at least you have a gap between the potential start of the issues & your flight time.

Until after the 13th. & we can see how things are developing it can only be complete guesswork.

I do think that the authorities will be better aware of the possibilities available to them if the main airport is blocked than they were on the last occasion. What they will be willing to do is another act of guesswork though...

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » January 7, 2014, 8:46 am

Ok thanks , there is a possibility of going before the 13th but it means more shift swaps and paying extra to change the ticket , something i cant really afford at the minute.

Ill try and explain the situation with the missus :)

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » January 7, 2014, 8:50 am

Read an article on Bangkok Post that said government has located 12 companies of police and 2 companies of soldiers to provide security at Swampy. Don't know if this info helps in your decision.

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » January 7, 2014, 9:03 am

Well we arrive at 18:40 so were gonna have to stay a night in Bangkok anyway , maybe get a hotel close by and den get da first flight up tae Udon in da morn

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » January 7, 2014, 9:13 am

Nobody can say for certain what will happen but I would certainly be wary of useing Dom Muang which was blocked recently.
But you will be flying into Suvarnabhumi where I would say the chances of disruption are less.If you are coming up to Udon I would use either Thai or Bangkok Airways who fly from Suvarnabhumi and not chance a taxi or bus ride to Dom Mueang for the internal flight.

I see you are staying a night in Bangkok.....definitely get a hotel close to Suvarnabhumi airport and not the city centre.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » January 7, 2014, 9:14 am

Yes it might, hard to say exactly how though.

Also consider your entry to the country also depends on immigration being on duty, as does your exit.

The current PM's so-called "soft approach" by the police won't matter as Red & Yellow seem set to clash. The red shirts remember 2010 all too well, and some will be out looking for payback.

Luckily you've planned on staying at a nearby hotel.

Best move is to keep up to date through this and other outlets, -Jon noted in his 3DM thread what he saw in BKK on his latest run:
Drunk Monkey wrote:A few things i noticed while in Bangkok today a definate wiff of trouble in the air ........... and the trip itself.

Convoys of police/Army personnel with riot gear / shields etc.
Heavy police presence at most large road intersections
Many of the numerous U turn points on major Bkk roads are blocked off.
Thousands of election posters with Yingluck and various others on ALL of the red variety of course .
Bangkok appears to be a ticking time bomb with folks trying to go about their daily life as best as possible despite huge traffic delays ... and the very real chance of chaos and confusion OR WORSE!!.
Just opinion. No matter what, hope you & the fam. have a nice trip regardless.

RW
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » January 7, 2014, 9:42 am

Thanks guys i appreciate the advice

Yeh it was when i read Jon's posting i realised how serious things were, hopefully we can still go , worst case senario is that we have to cancel but if its about our own saftey then just have to accept it and go again sometime.

To be honest after 6 months of Shetland weather and dark nights we are in need of a break.

Just seen on BBC news that the tourism industry is starting to feel the heat with a big drop in visitors for December , if things kick off that will get much worse , they were also talking about big companies and investors pulling out of thailand if things get too violent

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » January 7, 2014, 10:26 am

SJP17 wrote:Well we arrive at 18:40 so were gonna have to stay a night in Bangkok anyway , maybe get a hotel close by and den get da first flight up tae Udon in da morn
SJP17, I can recommend a great hotel just 5 minutes from the airport. I've stayed there twice already and it's perfect for a one night layover. You can book it on booking.com for less than 900 baht including a nice breakfast ( just over 700 without brekkie). Round trip shuttle to the airport is free and very reliable.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/th/thong-t ... d-spa.html

Hope everything works out well for you!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 7, 2014, 10:54 am

I must be in the wrong part of BKK, walk a few Kilometers to and from the office, haven't seen any problems or security presence. In an office full of Thais and they are all happy and no talk of protests. Maybe the calm before the storm.

We have more concerns about getting our Expat and Thai people out of that exact mirror image of democracy Bangladesh. That's where I will fly 24th Jan.
Will keep you posted if I hear any news here in BKK.

You could always fly into Laos and cross the very friendly bridge into LOS .

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 7, 2014, 11:57 am

semperfiguy wrote:
SJP17 wrote:Well we arrive at 18:40 so were gonna have to stay a night in Bangkok anyway , maybe get a hotel close by and den get da first flight up tae Udon in da morn
SJP17, I can recommend a great hotel just 5 minutes from the airport. I've stayed there twice already and it's perfect for a one night layover. You can book it on booking.com for less than 900 baht including a nice breakfast ( just over 700 without brekkie). Round trip shuttle to the airport is free and very reliable.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/th/thong-t ... d-spa.html

Hope everything works out well for you!
Semper,I Stayed at Thong Ta Resort on Christmas Eve ( 24 December ) I've also stayed there on a number of other occasions Basic,but clean rooms ( Beds are very HARD Though ),SMALL Breakfast ...I Book at http://www.bangkokian.com (800 Baht ALL In.) Good Food Court approx 100 metres from resort....

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 7, 2014, 12:03 pm

SJP17 wrote:Hi Folks

We are due to travel out on the 26th of January Glasgow-Dubai-Bangkok and back on the 21st Feb, with all the potential unrest is there likely to be flight disruptions or cancellation, ive not really been keeping up on events but my wife keeps asking everyday if we can still go , all the airline said is that the flight is still planning to fly.

I guess its maybe just a case of seeing how things develope but if anyone has any advice , it would be much appreciated , cause no doubt the wife will be asking again tommorow , she seems to be getting snippets of information from friends but not sure how accurate it is

Cheers

SJP17
SJP, Why Worry about Swampy being closed.....?? If it IS Then the Airline simply WON'T Land there...And you will be informed well in time BEFORE you depart Glasgow.....I Do understand you're anxiety and your wish to get some warmth though after spending such a long time in The Shetlands in Winter....

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 7, 2014, 12:12 pm

I am back in Bkk again Wednesday night / Thursday and will comment on what i see first hand ... as usual going in the truck so cant comment of airports etc . I must stress it was very much life as normal on the streets EXCEPT for the things i mentioned on the 3dm thread.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 7, 2014, 12:20 pm

You could always fly into Laos and cross the very friendly bridge into LOS .......Barney Why / How would he do THIS, He still has to get into Swampy to fly to Laos ???? No Direct flights from ANYWHERE Else....

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Post by Sakhonnick » January 7, 2014, 12:28 pm

This kinda worries me to, I'm flying back on Friday from London then have to get to Don Muaeng to connect to Sakon on it's the 10th hope it's ok,

Then 12th I'm back down for 2 days in Siricha back up 14th all from Don Muang

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 7, 2014, 12:35 pm

747man wrote:You could always fly into Laos and cross the very friendly bridge into LOS .......Barney Why / How would he do THIS, He still has to get into Swampy to fly to Laos ???? No Direct flights from ANYWHERE Else....
I think you had better check your sources 474.

Wattay International Airport (ie Vientiane) has numerous direct international flights to and from places other than Bangkok, including Malaysia, China, Vietnam and Korea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wattay_Int ... stinations

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 7, 2014, 12:50 pm

747man wrote:You could always fly into Laos and cross the very friendly bridge into LOS .......Barney Why / How would he do THIS, He still has to get into Swampy to fly to Laos ???? No Direct flights from ANYWHERE Else....

Wow that would surprise me no direct fights from any where else, was just a suggestion anyway.

Sorry jack just red your post,

it does prove that I am not always correct but never wrong :D

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 7, 2014, 4:45 pm

in answer to the topic question.. who could possibly know what further measures the anti-government elements might decide to take if their "closing of Bangkok" doesn't force the PM and caretaker cabinet to resign?? I would say depending upon the situation, anything could happen.
Dave

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 7, 2014, 5:41 pm

Very true ,,, without an accurate crystal ball its impossible to say just what the outcome of the up coming rallies and elections will be ,,, bear in mind troops on the streets and beefed up security are every day occurances and common in many countries around the world as is gridlocked traffic .

As for disgruntled supporters of any side or party ...again you can this this in most countries now and in recent years ,,, it must also be noted that every other Saturday huge numbers of unhappy supporters rally in North West England ... its called Old Trafford :-# !!!!!

Time will tell in the case of the next 2-3 months in LOS

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Return to “Open Forum”