Number plate for scooter

General Udon Thani topics only!
Philrjones
udonmap.com

Number plate for scooter

Post by Philrjones » January 17, 2014, 4:13 pm

Is anyone else having problems getting a number plate for a new bike?

We bought a new Honda about 3 months ago and have still not received a red plate for it. Contacted the Honda shop and they've done their bit and sent off to Bangers. I've told the missus to get the number for Bangers and ring them to chase it up.

Previous one we bought, we hardly waited at all. As a consequence, we have a new bike and it's hardly used as the wife is scared it will get stolen - much easier without a number plate I suppose to get rid of it.

Cheers
Phil

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Number plate for scooter

Post by BobHelm » January 17, 2014, 4:29 pm

My understanding is that the red plate is actually a 'trade plate' owned by the dealer. However they cost money so the dealers are reluctant to hand them out without you pushing.
Technically it is illegal to drive without a plate & it is certainly an open invitation for BIB tea money.
There are (quite severe) restrictions on use of the red plate - can't be used after dark & out of the province I think - but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

The official white plate is only available ex-BKK & there are often delays because of volume...

faranginUTH
udonmap.com

Number plate for scooter

Post by faranginUTH » January 17, 2014, 5:03 pm

the place that makes plates made a whole lot of them shoddy, so many got recalled, it takes 6 months more due to their ---- up

my bike came with the last 2 numbers dyslexic so I am going be renewing my bike without a license plate! a 1 year wait!
I ride with a license plate frame and fake paper plate like when they sell the frame, I also have the pink receipt that I paid and a copy of my green book

papaguido
udonmap.com

Number plate for scooter

Post by papaguido » January 17, 2014, 6:20 pm

There's a shop on Phosi Rd (opposite the former Mitsubishi dealer) that makes license plates. Only seen in passing and have no other info.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Number plate for scooter

Post by BobHelm » January 17, 2014, 6:31 pm

I think they make replacement plates Papa.
If one falls off your registered vehicle then you need to make a police report & I think they give you some authorisation document so that a shop can make you a replacement...
But....TIT...

faranginUTH
udonmap.com

Number plate for scooter

Post by faranginUTH » January 17, 2014, 6:40 pm

papaguido wrote:There's a shop on Phosi Rd (opposite the former Mitsubishi dealer) that makes license plates. Only seen in passing and have no other info.
I seen them too, it was near my old house and close to yellowbird.
I am tempted in getting an old style plate made for my old motorbike, thanks for the reminder!
I was also tempted in cutting down my new plate to the small size ones of 10 years ago.

I'll take a spin past there and inquire.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Number plate for scooter

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 17, 2014, 11:29 pm

Bob IS SPOT ON .... delays are common as all new plates NATIONWIDE come from Bkk central vehicle licensing office , lost plates take at least 3 months to replace and a police report must be produced if stopped by the BIB to show the new plate is in the process of being replaced ,,,FACT ... cos im in that process now with a truck .

Failure to show a police report for a missing plate is min 2000 bt on the spot and or a court appearance .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Number plate for scooter

Post by Prenders88 » January 18, 2014, 8:22 am

I got the red plates when I rode away from the showroom, after paying a deposit for the "rental", which I got back when the white plates arrived after about two months. There is a number now in front of the letters to provide more combinations.
Used to get stopped all the time with the red plates, the record, four times in one week, now not so bad with the white plates. Why are there so many bikes in Udon Thani with no plates or tax?
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Number plate for scooter

Post by Earnest » January 18, 2014, 4:42 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:Failure to show a police report for a missing plate is min 2000 bt on the spot and or a court appearance .
Ouch!

That explains why so many drive about town without plates, although there will still be a fair view who can't be bothered.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”