Thai Driving Licence.

General Udon Thani topics only!
Mudguard
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence.

Post by Mudguard » January 31, 2014, 9:53 am

Hi Australian members...I have a problem with my OZ licence...When I go back for holidays, can I drive on my Thai Licence? I have just read about a chinese who was booked for traffic offences on his Chinese licence,,Cheers Mudguard.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence.

Post by jackspratt » January 31, 2014, 10:58 am

I guess it will depend on the laws in the particular state(s) you will be driving in - I understand there are differences.

google is your friend.

maxeboy
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence.

Post by maxeboy » January 31, 2014, 11:42 am

U need an International Driving License issued in Thailand along Yr Thai Driving Licence.

Kind regards from

maxeboy
GreatDane born free taxed into slavery

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence.

Post by ting_tong » January 31, 2014, 12:30 pm

thats a good way to start the chinese new years!

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence.

Post by Mudguard » January 31, 2014, 3:33 pm

Thanks fellas, for the help... International plus Thai licences....Cheers Mudguard

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence.

Post by jackspratt » January 31, 2014, 3:39 pm

Couple of issues there, Muddy:

1. I am not sure that an International Driving Permit is valid in your home country

2. if the "trouble" you have with your Oz license means that it is suspended/cancelled, it could also mean further grief if you are caught offending, or have a prang.

As I said above - google is your friend. :D

Harpo
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence.

Post by Harpo » January 31, 2014, 4:23 pm

Hi Mudguard

When in Aussieland I go to Victoria.....I have checked at VICROADS for a Thai friend coming to stay a month or 3....VICROADS tell me if the friend has a valid and current Thai driver's licence, then an International licence can be granted to drive on for a period of 6 months (I think)......the RACV issue International licences.....however (there's always an however) if you have a "problem" with your Aussie drivers licence, as Jackie S said....be careful....if pulled over by the police no good to say "like so sorrie officer I no understand" [-X [-X [-X ..won't cut the mustard with the boys in black (Vic police now have the black uniforms and dark sun glasses).....hope that helps.....cheers harpo.... :D :D :D
Great Southern Land

pompui
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence.

Post by pompui » February 1, 2014, 8:53 am

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Lic ... cences.htm

Check your local states webpage :D

And while on the subject,if any Pom wants to know,including myself :D can use our 5 year Thai d/l back in UK if not having a valid UK d/l,one year ones are viewed as provisional,might not do it :-k ,can always get a Thai to drive for me on the UK roads with their d/l :shock:

https://www.gov.uk/non-gb-driving-licence.

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence.

Post by Mudguard » February 3, 2014, 8:13 am

REPLY TO ALL MEMBERS WHO HELPED ME ON THE ABOVE SUBJECT.....
I just found this info on the web re; nsw regulations...
Note: Australian citizens who reside overseas and are not permanent residents of Australia are allowed to drive in NSW on a current overseas licence as an international visitor. There is no need to apply for the issue or renewal of a NSW licence....Cheers and thanks to all...Mudguard.

rreddin
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence.

Post by rreddin » February 3, 2014, 3:36 pm

pompui wrote:http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Lic ... cences.htm

Check your local states webpage :D

And while on the subject,if any Pom wants to know,including myself :D can use our 5 year Thai d/l back in UK if not having a valid UK d/l,one year ones are viewed as provisional,might not do it :-k ,can always get a Thai to drive for me on the UK roads with their d/l :shock:

https://www.gov.uk/non-gb-driving-licence.
There is a fly in the ointment! When we were living in the UK, my Thai wife had a valid 5 year Thai drivers licence for a car and a Thai international driving permit. My insurance company would not insure her on my 7 year old 1.7 ltr diesel Vauxhall/Opel Astra because they did not accept the driving test she took as being sufficient proof of competence to drive. Based on my 5 years' experience of driving in Thailand, the insurance company might have a valid point.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”