Police active at old Tesco's crossroads

General Udon Thani topics only!
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 20, 2014, 3:49 pm

Just a heads up for drivers. I got fined today for the first time in years. The police are really pulling in the money at the old Tesco's crossroads.
I'm driving down from Nong Khai direction, wanting to turn right and go past Tescos. I've done it dozens of times and, seeing the inner dedicated right hand turn lane has a long tailback , choose the middle lane which has few cars lined up at the lights, put right blinker on. Around the corner the police are pulling over everyone who has turned right from that middle lane. 200 baht, but I receive a proper receipt. Must be pulling in thousands of baht.
Strictly the police are right. The middle lane is arrowed for 'straight on', but turning right from there is not dangerous and I think, at that time of day, probably helps with the traffic flow (ie two lanes rather than one, most cars turning right, go in or past Tescos on the carriageway and away from the junction).
The policeman caught me by surprise and I started to argue, in spite of living here years, being at fault if one really wants to dot i's and cross t's and that the money was being taken officially. He got a bit stroppy with "This is Thailand" , whilst I nearly responded with "in my country, the police are not corrupt". Fortunately, wife was with me and I'm not in nick! 8-[
Wife suggested this might be leading up to Songkran, whilst I thought fulfilling their fines 'quota'.
Not sure if the police are operating at each direction, although turning right from Nong Khai is probably the busiest right turn of the four.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 20, 2014, 4:03 pm

I've done the same thing lots of times.......and been fined once...the day we were taking a sick dog to the vet. The cop had no mercy, of course....and I couldn't argue as the lane is clearly marked for straight-ahead only.
That particular intersection is a favorite of the police.....for good reason. There are a great many folks who run the red light (rather than wait for the next green one)......large trucks that use the straight-ahead lane to turn onto the Nongkai highway....but slow down the flow of straight-ahead traffic......along with the helmet, registration, unmarked extended load violators.
In cases like this, where I've been caught, I'm always thankful that the penalty is so light.....200 baht and a mere few minutes of your time.
But then, maybe I've been here too long.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 20, 2014, 4:15 pm

I am always happy to read stories about when the BiB do their job, and properly enforce the law.

As a driver who uses the correct turn lane at that intersection, it is always galling to see those who are jumping the queue.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » March 20, 2014, 4:38 pm

This instance is being done more,many lazy drivers think it is good to use an inappropriate lane at the juction of kutchup near Chris bar,to save time especially if coming from airport way turning to go into town.
Correct ticketing,suprise so many people still think they can get away with it,Thais generally,it is just like driving with no helmet or insurance,seems never ending here :roll:

hippo
udonmap.com

Post by hippo » March 20, 2014, 5:37 pm

to celebrate the upcoming Songkran and their "gig" :-" :-#

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 20, 2014, 6:15 pm

jackspratt wrote:I am always happy to read stories about when the BiB do their job, and properly enforce the law.

As a driver who uses the correct turn lane at that intersection, it is always galling to see those who are jumping the queue.
Goody Two shoes strikes again,Hey Jack :lol: :lol: Never Done a Wrong in your life.... :^o :^o

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 20, 2014, 6:19 pm

hippo wrote:to celebrate the upcoming Songkran and their "gig" :-" :-#
Whoa ! Yer Can't say things like that..... :shock: :lol:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 20, 2014, 6:36 pm

747man wrote:
jackspratt wrote:I am always happy to read stories about when the BiB do their job, and properly enforce the law.

Goody Two shoes strikes again,Hey Jack :lol: :lol: Never Done a Wrong in your life.... :^o :^o
If you mean I use the correct turning lane at an intersection, you are (uncharacteristically) correct. :roll:

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 20, 2014, 7:37 pm

Agree with you Jack, I don't like queue jumping. I find it particularly annoying at u-turns, when someone comes up on the inside, swings round in front of you, blocking your view of oncoming traffic.

But, if the idea of traffic control is to keep things moving as efficiently and safely as possible, in the example I gave and at that particular time, I see little point in having say a 200 meter or longer line of cars on the inside lane( of which only a limited number will get through the lights) when the middle lane has only a few cars wanting to go straight over. Using the middle lane will mean nearly all waiting cars will clear the lights, without any danger involved, as long as drivers keep their 'line'.
Bit like turning left at traffic lights even if red. Ok to do so as long as it's safe. Why delay traffic if it's unnecessary?

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » March 20, 2014, 7:46 pm

Brian Davis wrote: I've done it dozens of times and, seeing the inner dedicated right hand turn lane has a long tailback (with people patiently waiting for their turn) , choose the middle lane which has few cars lined up at the lights
parrot wrote:I've done the same thing lots of times.......

So it's YOU GUYS! I always thought it was only Thais who did this. I must apologize. I would have given you a different salute if I had known.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 20, 2014, 7:51 pm

jackspratt wrote:
747man wrote:

If you mean I use the correct turning lane at an intersection, you are (uncharacteristically) correct. :roll:
Had a Dictionary for Dinner again,Jack ?? :lol: :lol:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 20, 2014, 7:52 pm

BigBubba wrote:
Brian Davis wrote: I've done it dozens of times and, seeing the inner dedicated right hand turn lane has a long tailback (with people patiently waiting for their turn) , choose the middle lane which has few cars lined up at the lights
parrot wrote:I've done the same thing lots of times.......

So it's YOU GUYS! I always thought it was only Thais who did this. I must apologize. I would have given you a different salute if I had known.
Now would that be ONE or TWO Fingers Bubba ?? :lol: :lol:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 20, 2014, 8:17 pm

Bless me father........yes, I've been caught speeding a few times, once without a seatbelt while pulling out of a parking spot, ran a red light, had my mobile phone in my ear while driving once.....among a few of my transgressions. The biggest boner was driving the wrong way on a one-way street in Pattaya.....much to my surprise.....but in all the cases, I broke the law and the law won........whether the money goes into the city coffers or into the cops lunch fund doesn't matter to me. Oh yeah, got the boot once for parking in a bus stop. Oh wait.......paid 200 baht for having a red flag on an extended load that was less than the required 30x30cm. I've never had to pay a fine for anything that I didn't break. All things considered, I guess that's not bad after all these years.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 20, 2014, 8:28 pm

Well that little lot would have amassed you a tidy few points in UK ........ and of course the BAN (S) that would have accompanied them [-X

I doubt that you would be behind the wheel for a few years :lol:

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » March 20, 2014, 8:54 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Well that little lot would have amassed you a tidy few points in UK ........ and of course the BAN (S) that would have accompanied them [-X

I doubt that you would be behind the wheel for a few years :lol:
... SEE! Its not bad living here is it?In fact it's GRRRRREAT! init \:D/
Mai mee tahng !

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 20, 2014, 9:02 pm

Thank you TONY the TIGER .......... not tooooooooooo much milk on your frosties next time Morti

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 21, 2014, 12:14 am

definitely a ramp up in vehicle stop points.. Today I saw the police with one set up on Rte 22 about 3km east of the Big C over pass across from the Talad Thai Siri Market. The absolute only time I've ever seen a checkpoint their in 12 years is during New Year's or Songkhran as a drunk checkpoint. The cops normally seem to have a number of habitual stop points with Nong Khai ring road intersection being one (as pointed out), Nong Sai stop light intersection on the Ring Road, Just past Big C by the overpass heading into town, Nong Bua Market going into and out of town just to name a few...
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 21, 2014, 12:15 am

I also saw two cops walking down the street today near Haa Yak circle ticketing numerous illegally parked cars.. something I've rarely seen...
Dave

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 21, 2014, 2:18 am

Quite some time ago I posted ( forget where ) that the new incoming Police Head actually appointed more Police for the Udon Province .

It was the wife of a local Police Officer who told me, and the intention was to increase the revenue for the Province ( AKA The Split )

So seeing more road stops, was my point ages ago.

Jack S is 100% correct, if you break the law and don't use the correct lane, u pay

Just as you would in the UK, Aust, US etc,

If you do accumulate fines and don't pay etc, the licence can be cancelled but "Blocking " the renewal , but easy to get a new one, but the Udon Province does have tracking on the licence numbers.

I wonder if the Udon Police have got SCMODS ??.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 21, 2014, 3:49 am

Must admit I'm guilty and DO NOT plead forgiveness from the righteous! Fortunately have not been pinged.
Any road management co-ordinator with half a brain would have made the right lane bi directional for several reasons:-

They can, the feed is into 3 lanes, why not use 2 of them to accept traffic and ease congestion.
Public buses as well as Baht buses turning right there have a stop on the left just after the intersection.
Vehicles, especially trucks, doing U turns there slow progress.

Oh I forgot, finding half a brain anywhere when it comes to Thai roads - designers, administrators, law enforcers, users, etc. etc. is hard work.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”