Samaritans of Thailand

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
jingjai
udonmap.com

Samaritans of Thailand

Post by jingjai » March 31, 2014, 12:38 pm

Hope none of us ever needs to use this service. However, it is good to know there are caring people out there, willing to lend an ear, and listen, and perhaps offer some solutions to ones problems...
For many years back in Hawaii, I was a telephone volunteer at a Crisis, Information & Referral Center Hotline. I felt I, and the Center, provided a valuable service.

http://www.samaritans-thailand.org/About.aspx
An international Non-Governmental Organization founded in the UK in 1953, by Reverend Chad Varah. Presently, with more that 350 centres spread in 40 countries, the head office, under the name of "Befrienders International" (BI), is located in London. With the aim of increasing awareness of suicide as a social problem and reducing the incidence of suicide, volunteers from various walks of like will take turn to provide unconditionally free emotional support on the telephone. "Samaritans" is non-political and non-sectarian and the trained volunteers will not seek to impose their own convictions on anyone.
Collaborated by a group of 40 expatriates and Thais, Samaritans of Thailand was established in 1978.
http://www.samaritans-thailand.org/Contact.aspx
When to contact the "Samaritans"?

Anyone who feels depressed, lonely, or needs to talk to someone who will listen without prejudice, can call a service number and speak anonymously.
We have trained crisis intervention volunteers to listen.
HOTLINES:
Bangkok:
(02) 713-6791 (ENGLISH)
24 hours/day, 7 days/week

(02) 713-6793 (THAI)
12 noon - 22:00 hrs, 7 days/week

Chiang Mai:
(053) 225-977/8 (THAI)
19.00 - 22.00 hrs
(Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat)

pompui
udonmap.com

Samaritans of Thailand

Post by pompui » April 1, 2014, 4:30 am

It is good,shame when a Thai is suffering or depressed they have to remember to only call in certain hours to Bangkok,less so time and days to Chiang Mai :-k Should have more staff in Chiang Mai :-k :badteeth:

trubrit
udonmap.com

Samaritans of Thailand

Post by trubrit » April 1, 2014, 6:32 am

pompui wrote:It is good,shame when a Thai is suffering or depressed they have to remember to only call in certain hours to Bangkok,less so time and days to Chiang Mai :-k Should have more staff in Chiang Mai :-k :badteeth:
Would point out that all staff are volunteers and it's not always possible to spare time at certain points of the day or night to give full coverage, however in the UK we did manage to have full phone coverage, but it was a struggle to man the office permanently .I would suspect the same applies here.
More volunteers are always welcome of course. :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Return to “Notice Board”