Outlook security code

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
maaka
udonmap.com

Outlook security code

Post by maaka » April 17, 2014, 10:42 am

are any of you old Hotmail, or now Outlook members, receiving in your email account a request from Outlook for you to fill out a security code thingy, so your account is better protected..

tutone
udonmap.com

Outlook security code

Post by tutone » April 17, 2014, 11:08 am

Yes, but it was over two years ago that I got this request. It's like another password that is sent to you via an alternative email address or perhaps SMS (not sure) that allows you to access your hotmail account if there are security concerns or perhaps losing your original password. I have it but have never used it.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Outlook security code

Post by BobHelm » April 17, 2014, 11:13 am

I haven't.
But I think that when I opened the outlook account I may well have done.
It depends what it is asking you for really.
I know that when I set up the account I supplied an email address that if I ever requested Microsoft to re-activate my account that they would send messages to.
Some time after I had set up the account they also asked me for a phone number that they could SMS for the same reason.

If it has a web address for you to contact or is asking you to confirm any current details (like password) then I would be very suspicious of it.

phen
udonmap.com

Outlook security code

Post by phen » April 17, 2014, 1:16 pm

I also do it this week and they only ask for a telephone number or 2e email address.
After you give the telephone number they call you (or mobile a sms) and give a code.
Problem the tape only speak Thai and I have to listen very good to the code.
But everything goes OK and the mail service works as normal.

maaka
udonmap.com

Outlook security code

Post by maaka » April 17, 2014, 2:01 pm

thanks fella's..
yup its asking for a second email address in case my original address crashes, or is hacked..

parrot
udonmap.com

Outlook security code

Post by parrot » April 18, 2014, 4:01 pm

I haven't used Outlook in years.....but when I log in to my gmail account (after I've entered my user name and password), I occasionally receive a notice from gmail asking me to update my failsafe phone number/second account in case my primary fails.
I would have no problem responding to that request.

But, if I received an email supposedly from 'gmail' (or paypay, or netflix, or lots of other scams) asking me to click on a link and provide updated info, I would toss the email into my trash bin. I never ever ever ever click on an email like that.....and know quite a few people who have and have ended up with problems.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”