Passport query for Thai minor national/Aussie citizenship

General Udon Thani topics only!
trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » April 29, 2014, 8:56 am

Hi,

My grandson came to Australia on a Thai passport, without the approval of his father (as his father attempted to demand money from mother ) Australian Immigration therefore waived the requirement for father's approval for the boy to exit Thailand.
Our grandson has since become an Australian citizen and we are planning a return visit to Thailand. On applying for the Australian paasport, the agent (Aus. Post) has demanded a document from the boy's natural father supporting the application. This is obviously not going to be forthcoming, has any board member been in this situation and been able to successfully make the passport application without the fathers signature of support? Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 29, 2014, 9:55 am

Slightly different situation but we had to get a (Thai) court order acknowledging the father had deserted the child. Quite a long drawn out process requiring the services of a lawyer AND that was before we could bring the child to Australia in the first place.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 29, 2014, 10:07 am

Have you talked to Aus Immigration ( rather than Aus Post ) as they let the lad into Oz without the general requirements, and therefore, they have some history with your case..Aust Post seem to be a newcomer, and well arent they just a postal service

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 29, 2014, 10:15 am

As an agent, Oz Post would just be going by the rules issued to them by Immigration.

As suggested by maaka, get yourself off to the closest Immigration office, and sort it out there.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 29, 2014, 10:48 am

I assume the child had the Thai Passport prior to being estranged from the his father. No way will the Thai Passport office issue a passport to a minor without the i's dotted and t's crossed.

Can't quite understand how the boy gained Australian residency then citizenship in the first place?

Definitely a trip to Immigration is required.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 29, 2014, 11:24 am

I agree with previous posts. If the Austgraslian Immigration office have granted him citizenship, then I would have thought that would NOW override any requirements for a Thai authority to grant an Australian Passport . As they regard the mother I expect as the SOLE parent.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”