Building a new house in Nongkhai

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Khunchai

Post by Khunchai » May 18, 2014, 6:09 pm

We are going to start building our new house in Nongkhai, 2 storey, living area 126 sq.m., large terrace on the 2nd floor.

We have been quoted 9,000 Baht / sq.m. (materials + labour).

But we want to separate the cost of materials from the cost of labour because we are going to buy all the construction materials on our own.

Any advice will be appreciated.

By the way, what is the cost to prepare a bill of materials estimate and what is the best way to do it?

Khunchai

Post by Khunchai » May 18, 2014, 6:20 pm

Khunchai wrote:We are going to start building our new house in Nongkhai, 2 storey, living area 126 sq.m., large terrace on the 2nd floor.

We have been quoted 9,000 Baht / sq.m. (materials + labour).

But we want to separate the cost of materials from the cost of labour because we are going to buy all the construction materials on our own.

Any advice will be appreciated.

By the way, what is the cost to prepare a bill of materials estimate and what is the best way to do it?
Check out this website: Estimated House Construction Cost in Thailand

My understanding is that this price is for Bangkok.

For a 2 storey cement house the labour only cost in Bangkok is THB 4,500 – 5,000 Baht per square meter according to the above article.

In Nongkhai and Udon Thani the labour only cost is probably 30%-40% lower, that is about THB 3,000 - 3,500 per square meter.

Please correct me if I am wrong... :oops:

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 18, 2014, 7:17 pm

not sure I can give a quote in regards our wee 600,000bt build as shown on here..I dont think we had a sq/metre price, just a price..

first question would be, ' how old is the information on the website you mentioned '

and then I say the price would depend on each different builder..

and I have found that by keeping completely out of the picture when it comes to the builder, and just letting the wee woman front the whole show, with me giving directions in the back, price was Thai price, not farang price..

Our / her man is an ex Bangkok builder, and is quite meticulous..

perhaps ' Bahtman ' or ' stantheman '( I think it is), who are doing builds, or renovations of various degree's, and who have posted on here too if you search about, can help give some guideline in respect their individual positions..

I will try and find out if our man has a sq/ metre way of costing...might take a couple of days for an answer..

good luck..

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 18, 2014, 7:21 pm

PS. ' alanthebuilder ' was a member here with a team of builders, but havent seen his comments of late..he would be able to answer your question..

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » May 18, 2014, 8:44 pm

I will contact wife to see if she got labor estimate separate from materials but if I remember her quote from builder included most material along with labor. Some things like windows and door were not in estimate as wife wanted to pick those out herself.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 18, 2014, 9:07 pm

coxo may also be able to offer some advice.

In my case, I spoke with a builder, who then prepared both perspective drawings and floor plans, and we agreed on an all-in labour price, and time. I then paid for materials, based on quantities estimated by the builder, as the job progressed.

He presented a contract in Thai (which I was happy with), and I presented a further contract in English (with google translated Thai), which he was happy with.

He finished about 3 days early (wanted to get away for Songkran), and I paid a small bonus as I was quite happy with the result.

Of course, this is really only feasible if you are going to be at the job just about every day, and have a bit of an idea about building.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 20, 2014, 12:06 am

Suggest u if you are going to buy al the materials etc, get a Credit Card and it gives you a bit of breathing space on your cash flow for the month.

Then use the points that you accumulate and buy products for the house, Home Pro Udon, have good deals with Krungsri Credit Cards as well as using their own rewards programme, u end up, getting double points, when u pay with you credit card, I saved approx. 60,000 Baht in hot water units , vacuum cleaner and taps.

Khunchai

Post by Khunchai » May 20, 2014, 9:31 am

Wazza, thank you for your advice!

Is it easy for a foreigner on an non O/A visa to obtain this kind of credit card? What are the bank's requirements?

I have always avoided credit cards and used only debit cards to be on the safe side...

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 20, 2014, 11:28 am

Wazza Says............... get a Credit Card............Now THAT May prove VERY Difficult.....Yer Can't get a Thai Credit card If you are a Falang,Does'nt matter how much money you have in a Thai Bank Account....

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 20, 2014, 11:34 am

747man wrote:Wazza Says............... get a Credit Card............Now THAT May prove VERY Difficult.....Yer Can't get a Thai Credit card If you are a Falang,Does'nt matter how much money you have in a Thai Bank Account....
Sorry to disappoint you 747, but I have 2 Platinum Cards ( Bangkok Bank and Krungsri ) , in my name, attached to my accounts and a 2nd card on the BKK bank one, just in case...

No other people or interests attached ......

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » May 20, 2014, 11:37 am

wazza wrote: by wazza » May 20, 2014, 11:34 am

747man wrote:
Wazza Says............... get a Credit Card............Now THAT May prove VERY Difficult.....Yer Can't get a Thai Credit card If you are a Falang,Does'nt matter how much money you have in a Thai Bank Account....

Sorry to disappoint you 747, but I have 2 Platinum Cards ( Bangkok Bank and Krungsri ) , in my name, attached to my accounts and a 2nd card on the BKK bank one, just in case...

No other people or interests attached ......
I also have a SCB visa credit card, bloody handy. If you have a work permit you can get one, not sure what visa type will allow you to also get one.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 20, 2014, 11:40 am

Perhaps KP could update his Home Pro credit card issues from this thread:

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/s ... 33715.html

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 20, 2014, 11:41 am

Non Imm O Visa , and yellow book,

Khunchai

Post by Khunchai » May 20, 2014, 11:57 am

wazza wrote:Non Imm O Visa , and yellow book,
That is sufficient, isn't it?

No work permit, no proof of income is required?

What if some foreigner is retired?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 20, 2014, 12:14 pm

The various Banks will put restriction on this & the various individual branches will further interpret those restrictions.
To be honest the only way to find out in your area for certain with the documentation you have is to make a round of the various branches & see what they say.
You already have some 'pointers' towards banks that will do it if the wind is in the right direction, so those are probably the best ones to start with...

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 20, 2014, 12:22 pm

Take your visa, any marriage docs, proof of income, copies of drivers licence, and anything else you have in your name in Thailand, to show the junior bank officer ur long term settlement

If u look at the link that was put on here, U will also, see that 65 years of age, maybe cause your application to be rejected.

I know Sanukjoe wa sgoing down this way a week or so ago, Pm him also

good luck,

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 20, 2014, 12:35 pm

Wazza, So O.K I'm turned 65 now,So I'm an Old Git.....
But I remember when I Came here to have my WIFES House built,I Had Over 2 Million Baht at my disposal & EVERY Bank that I or My Wife asked in Nong-Khai about me obtaining a THAI Credit card ALL Politely Declined my Application..

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 20, 2014, 12:50 pm

Its still with every banks branch discretion, don't see Big C or Tesco branches... Need to see a large Branch Manager.

U really need to have a Non Imm O and yellow book or even better a usufruct to get it over the line. IMO

Work Permit , is acceptable, as proof of income, is with the contract etc....

Khunchai

Post by Khunchai » May 20, 2014, 1:17 pm

BobHelm wrote:The various Banks will put restriction on this & the various individual branches will further interpret those restrictions.
To be honest the only way to find out in your area for certain with the documentation you have is to make a round of the various branches & see what they say.
You already have some 'pointers' towards banks that will do it if the wind is in the right direction, so those are probably the best ones to start with...
Than you BobHelm, your information is giving a hope, I will give it a try...

The goal is to obtain HomePro credit card in order to save money buying the construction materials and furnishing to build a new house in Nongkhai as Wazza has suggested.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 20, 2014, 1:46 pm

hey Wazza, I need some extra nails, can you lend me your card Mate...
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (8.86 KiB) Viewed 1906 times

Return to “House & Land”