Chiang Mai / Rai

General Udon Thani topics only!
Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Chiang Mai / Rai

Post by Sakhonnick » May 24, 2014, 9:11 am

Any of you guys been to Chiang Mai or Rai?

i have been to Chiang Mai one time before enjoyed it but i like the idea of Chiang Rai,

Your Views Please? nightlife? bars/girls? cost? Hotels? worth buying condo there? etc etc Golf would be a big thing there for me

glalt
udonmap.com

Chiang Mai / Rai

Post by glalt » May 24, 2014, 9:36 am

I don't like the city of Chiang Mai at all but outside the city is OK and quite scenic. I do like Chiang Rai and I could easily live there. The nightlife scene is less than Udon but there are some farang oriented bars. I'd say that you would be able to find whatever you are looking for. I'm not a golfer but I do know that there are a number of local golf courses.

socksy
udonmap.com

Chiang Mai / Rai

Post by socksy » May 24, 2014, 9:46 am

Don't know if you are a member of Thaivisa.com Nick but they have a list of Golf Courses there with a tee time booking facility plus if you are a member you get discount on your green fees. You can sign up free to join the site
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

ISSAN_NISSAN
udonmap.com
Location: Near the big tree past the light on the left opposite the 7-11

Chiang Mai / Rai

Post by ISSAN_NISSAN » May 24, 2014, 10:06 am

I agree with Glalt. It is pretty kicked back outside the city center. I lived in Udon for 3 years and liked it, but people change and values change. I moved to ChiangRai 8 months ago and I love it.

There is bar scene but about 1/5 of what it is in Udon. All your major companies are here---McDee--Pizza Company--MK--Sizzler and a recently completed Central and of course a night plaza.

The city center is busy like Udon but a few clicks outside the city center is paradise. Tons of coffee shops and plenty of farang cafes. There is a ChiangRai specific web site that I am not allowed to post so I will send you a PM.

As all Thai cities have their own special environment---I would highly suggest spending a few weeks here to get a feeling of the area---before taking the plunge.

I have to admit, the locals are far more friendly here than Udon (my opinion)----but that is most likely because the locals are not overwhlemed by the farangs----at least not yet.

I will also say that if you are into the nightly bar scene and picking up different girls every night, you will be sadly disappointed here in ChiangRai.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

I.N.
I. N.

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Chiang Mai / Rai

Post by Sakhonnick » May 24, 2014, 10:44 am

Thanks, seriously looking into Chaing Rai for a holiday getaway

GT93
udonmap.com

Chiang Mai / Rai

Post by GT93 » May 24, 2014, 11:03 am

I know 2 Chiang Rai girls here in NZ. OK, they're 31 and 23 (sisters). Not really girls. They're really friendly and no I'm not banging either of them. If other Chiang Rai girls are like them, the place will end up with heaps of farang. I understand it was damaged by the earthquake and the White Temple is beyond repair. I have never been there. Youtube has some videos on Chiang Rai.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Chiang Mai / Rai

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 24, 2014, 9:21 pm

I visited Chiang Rai and Chiang Saen back in 1977 or 1978. I did not pay much attention to either of them at the time as they were quite small and quiet. Chiang Rai was a jumping off point for me to visit various hilltribes.

The only thing I can remember is that a Chiang Saen girl was flirting with me at a restaurant much to the chagrin of my wife at the time. What am I saying? We did not marry for another three years. 555+

I will be going to Chiang Rai in July as a stop prior to going to Luang Prabang, Laos. The thought of periodic earthquakes dampens my enthusiasm for thinking of that town as a retirement residence. Nan or Phayao might be worth a visit.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

seagulls
udonmap.com

Chiang Mai / Rai

Post by seagulls » May 25, 2014, 11:56 am

We returned to Udon after spending three years in Chiang Mai primarily because of the Dreadful pollution
during the "Burning period" .Chiang Mai is similar to Los Angeles with surrounding mountains that trap the
pollution within the basin .I personally loved Chiang Mai and wanted to spend the rest of my life there ,but our
health was far more important and we moved back here .Ironically I lost half my home in the Whittier narrows
Earthquake of 1987 and moved from Los angeles to retire and escape Smog and Earthquakes .I would think
twice before moving there ,or at least visit when you are unable to see more than 50 metres ,don,t make my
mistake
Rod ( Harpman)

rjb
udonmap.com

Chiang Mai / Rai

Post by rjb » May 27, 2014, 2:53 pm

I agree with most of the foregoing info with a couple exceptions.
I drive the shortcut from Udon thru Loei and on west. I keep the foot on the floor as much as possible and 8 hours is , well, with a stop for gas and a brief lunch my wife prepares it takes closer to 9 + hours and that is hitting 120 and up consistently. In the past there was a lot of road constuction and in an area west of Nakon Thai the highway has been prone to erode and caution needs to be taken.
The past year or so we have flown directly on NOK successfully, no cancelations or diversions. A check with a good travel agent like Journey Travel or even NOK's web site will give you the best days to fly cheaper. We have made it round trip as low as 2,000 baht each.
I like Chiang Mai, lots to do and good restaurants plus accomodations that are reasonable. The down side was expressed in another post, smog and terrible traffic in town.
On the upside if you like Mexican food, Miguel's has 2 locations and the food in quite good.
I have a friend in Chiang Rai and have been there a few times but for me there was nothing much to do to inspire wanting to live there.

seagulls
udonmap.com

Chiang Mai / Rai

Post by seagulls » May 28, 2014, 11:08 am

I should have mentioned in my previous post that on the 23rd of March four flights from Bangkok were
unable to land at Chiang Mai airport .The visibility was so bad from the pollution that the flights were
diverted back to Bangkok .The MP-10 was at 283 per cubic meter .That is twice the level of 120 what is
construed as the "Safety" limit for Thailand

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”