Watergate, 40 years ago

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
parrot
udonmap.com

Watergate, 40 years ago

Post by parrot » June 18, 2014, 7:59 pm

As we come up to the 40th anniversary of Nixon's resignation as president (Aug 9, 1974), there's sure to be a flood of press reliving that time (it's already beginning). I was stationed in Taiwan at the time.....no access to American TV (not even AFRTS).....but could tune in to a radio station covering the Watergate hearings. Since the hearings were on the other side of the world, I often stayed up until the wee hours of the morning listening to the proceedings. It was an amazing time in American history....being played out live....sort of like the OJ trial many years later. The drama being played out was better than any movie.....or book......this was the real deal. House of Cards on steroids! At the time, it was enough to almost make you feel sorry to be an American.....but now, looking back 40 years, I look at it as a proud moment in American history.....that a pair of young journalists and a man known as Deep Throat could bring down an American President.......and send several of his compadres to prison.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Watergate, 40 years ago

Post by stattointhailand » June 18, 2014, 8:34 pm

Now if you had said that you stayed up to the wee small hours for the Linda Lovelace version we may have believed you parrot (42 years ago .... my how time passes :roll: )
215px-Deep_Throat_poster_2.jpg
215px-Deep_Throat_poster_2.jpg (16.28 KiB) Viewed 784 times

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”