Nong Khai Taxi Scam

General Udon Thani topics only!
Eagles

Nong Khai Taxi Scam

Post by Eagles » June 20, 2014, 9:09 pm

Well old head got scammed on the way to Laos. Had to make a visa run to Laos to renew my visa. Made the bridge crossings may times in the past 14 years. Was approached by a well dressed Thai man as I was coming out of the 7 Eleven. Mister are you going to Lao, So I take the bait...Yes, I reply. Where are you going? I'm going to the Thai Consular. Okay, I can take you over the bridge and there for 300 baht. VIP Taxi Service. He continues on they open at 8:30 till 11:30 so I'm thinking cool no crowded buses, no looking for a taxi on the other side great.. So me and the missus jump in the car and begin the journey. Nice enough fellow has the TM Cards for us to fill out as we begin the drive.Again, I'm thinking this is cool, why didn't someone thing of this service before? So we are over the bridge at Lao Immigrations, and as we exit the car and line up for our Lao visa he says take your bags. I'm thinking why, just hit the remote power lock ( we only have a change of clothes in the bags anyway). So as we're filling in our visa applications he says OK that will be 300 baht. I'm focused on getting the forms filled out and the wife tells me our ride is over and asks if she should pay the 300. I don't want a scene so we pay the guy and realize suckers us. I should have said," I'll pay you when you drop us off at the Thai Consular office as agreed"!, The guys apologizes saying sorry you misunderstood I said I will take you over the bridge for 300 baht. Yeah yeah right thanks buddy, my Thai wife and I don't understand your English or your Thai.
Chalk it up one of life experiences , me trying to avoid shuffling through the lines on exit from Thailand and entering Laos. Beware of this scam.

panick
udonmap.com

Nong Khai Taxi Scam

Post by panick » June 21, 2014, 12:07 am

30฿ taxi fare to Vietnianne city (You can be dropped off on the way at the consulate) This is on a typical soi rat ... Suzuki carry P/Up truck .... 100฿ opposite the consulate for filling in/checking your paperwork .. If you're paying more than this ... HELLO FARANG!!! ... 600/night (in the city, 5 mins walk from the Mekong) for a hotel, and as an example .... 4 people in an air-con taxi back to the border from Viantianne ... 200฿!! .. If you're paying way more than this? Welcome the W.B.U. 555+
Bring back Saint

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Nong Khai Taxi Scam

Post by rickfarang » June 21, 2014, 3:29 am

I am sorry for your loss and I am glad you posed your experience as a reminder for the rest of us.

This reminds me of the saying "Don't go with the one who is waiting for you." Which usually refers to waiting taxis, but also applies to any salesperson who finds you.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”