Udon curfew

General Udon Thani topics only!
sgt
udonmap.com

Udon curfew

Post by sgt » June 23, 2014, 11:35 am

Does anybody have in info on the re-establishment of curfew in Udon? The farang bars are having to close at midnight, I did hear Thai clubs are open until 0200. Maybe something about a shooting? Police involved? I did notice on the way out last night that most of the little Thai sidewalk restaurants etc. that are usually open most of the night (and the customers block at least one, sometimes 2 lanes of the highway) were closed at 2330. I saw relatively early night before last Thai tourist cops, but real ones, you know the kind with guns, walking around looking at the bars. They all had their cell phones out and appeared to be looking at something on the screen, picture of somebody perhaps. I asked the wife and she knew nothing of it.

noosard
udonmap.com

Udon curfew

Post by noosard » June 23, 2014, 12:43 pm

Was told the curfew got reintroduced a week ago after gunshots downtown

sgt
udonmap.com

Udon curfew

Post by sgt » June 23, 2014, 12:52 pm

Essentially what I heard, with the addition of police involved and one person shot. Still unconfirmed and I think we all know about rumors and gossip here. I would think if true, it must have involved 'politics' not just a couple of people having a shoot out.

Barney
udonmap.com

Udon curfew

Post by Barney » June 23, 2014, 5:30 pm

These are weekly updatse our company provide to all employees who may be required to travel through Thailand, we get them for many trouble spot countries
I know It's not Udon but maybe security forces are looking for copies of 1984. Not sure what language they are read in.
Quote:

Police arrested eight people Sunday for demonstrating against Thailand's military junta, including a
man who was dragged away by undercover officers for reading a copy of George Orwell's "Nineteen
Eighty-Four" outside one of Bangkok's most luxurious shopping malls. Handfuls of anti-coup protesters
have staged several silent readings of the classic book elsewhere in the capital in recent weeks because
they say its indictment of totalitarianism has become relevant after the army deposed the country's
elected government in a May 22 coup. All the arrests took place in and around Siam Paragon, a
crowded, upscale mall in downtown Bangkok that is one of Southeast Asia's largest. It was the world's
most photographed location on Instagram last year.
The United States has eased its travel alert for Thailand after the ruling junta lifted a nighttime
curfew. In updated advice Friday, the State Department just reminded Americans "to be alert to the
current political and security environment". Despite last week's lifting of the nationwide curfew,
Thailand remains under martial law, and individuals have been detained for publicly criticizing the May
22 military takeover, the junta and the monarchy.

2. Political Background and Analysis
 Council for Peace and Order’s (NCPO) performance is approved of by most people, according to a
recent poll. Since the coup on May 22, the NCPO has been busy stamping out criticism, launching
populist measures to appeal to the public, and fighting corruption. The poll results suggest that one
month after the coup, the public is grateful the junta has brought a peaceful atmosphere back to the
country and ended the six-month People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) street protests in
Bangkok. It also averted the prospect of violence when the red shirt United Front for Democracy (UDD)
against Dictatorship escalated its rally to counter the PDRC.

According to a Suan Dusit Poll released Sunday, the public gives the NCPO a high approval rate of 8.82
out of 10 for its first month. Asked what they thought about the overall performance of the NCPO,
72.79% of respondents said the country is peaceful and without quarrels; 69.6% said the NCPO has
tackled important problems including paying farmers for their pledged rice and cutting the cost of living;
and 65.4% want the NCPO to stay on until problems are solved properly. The survey was conducted
among 1,614 people nationwide between June 17 and Saturday.

3. Advice
 You should take extra care and avoid all protests, political gatherings and demonstrations.
 If you’re travelling to the airport, allow extra time to take account of possible transport
delays, and consider using the airport rail link.
 Monitor local news and social media for developments.
 Take into account the curfew period and its many consequences for yourself and others.

parrot
udonmap.com

Udon curfew

Post by parrot » June 23, 2014, 5:36 pm

I've searched Thai website/Udon News, but found nothing about a new curfew. I suspect the ruckus at the technical school led to some crackdowns around town......there are a number of Thai news websites showing student leaders meeting with the city's leaders.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”