Immigration questions?

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Airportwo
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by Airportwo » July 8, 2014, 2:54 pm

I am planning a first visit to Udon immigration department in the next couple of days, if there a "good" time to go?

I want to find out first hand if I can convert my work permit which expires soon, (I don't want to renew) into a retirement visa without leaving the country.

I have had retirement visa's before in Thailand, then I ended up working for the past two years.

Are they helpful, I have been in quite a few immigration offices around Thailand and generally they are both helpful and friendly.

Thanks for any help
Cheers

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by merchant seaman » July 8, 2014, 6:35 pm

Best time to go is hit and miss. They open at 0830 in the morning break for lunch 1200-1300. Best to get there first thing in the morning. They seem to be most busy on Mondays and Fridays. I would say they are helpful and friendly. I'm sure you know how to conduct business with Gov't officials.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

parrot
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by parrot » July 8, 2014, 6:56 pm

We've always had good luck going around 2PM. But most any time of the day is hit or miss. Mornings seem to be busiest.

arjay
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by arjay » July 9, 2014, 12:36 pm

I tend to avoid mondays and fridays.

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by Airportwo » July 9, 2014, 5:06 pm

Thanks for the help, went along today, got there at 13:15 out again at 14:00 complete with cancelled work visa, a retirement visa and a multi entry visa, great service - I was the only person in there.
I called in at the bank on the way there and got a statement letter, more to see if the bank could do it than for visa, it's a small branch I use, very pleasant surprise to get everything sorted.

Shado
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by Shado » July 10, 2014, 1:13 pm

Must have set a new record today. We were on the way to Villa Market. About 10:20 we decided to stop at immigration and, as the wife was driving, I hopped out of the car, into the office, straight to the 90 day officer, handed him my passport, he hit a few keys on the computer asked me to sign a printout, stapled the next report date paper to my passport and out the door I went. I swear, the whole thing must have taken only 3 or 4 minutes.

I certainly don't miss the those "good old days" when it was a half day trip to Nong Khai and back just to do a 90 day report. The more I use Udon Thani immigration, the more pleased I am with their service. =D>

pomps
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by pomps » July 22, 2014, 11:28 am

Was a little bit longer for my 90 day report,wanted my address.mobile number since I had a non automated printout from before when I renewed my visa.Very quiet this morning there.all imm officers seated just one farang renewing his extension for marriage.
On left as you walk in is the photo set up if anybody has forgotten to get some done,tables have gone alongwith the young college lasses :shock: ,ticket machine seems permanently dead \:D/ ,back to numbers on plastic =D> :D 8)

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by bamakmak » July 22, 2014, 11:47 am

I also set a personal best time last Thursday. Walked in the door at 13:00 and walked out the door 25 minutes later with my one-year retirement extension AND a multi re-entry permit.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by mortiboy » July 22, 2014, 7:00 pm

Went there two days ago. I changed my address so along with "report" filled out the form
Bolt out the blue" Need copy House book"
OOer!.... I rent house.Pay money into Owners bank account. Can never get her answer fone!
I said"Ok I try get her answer fone later"
"No No I help you" he said. He copied details on the form into computer
Said.... "Done!" Then pointed to an empty cardboard box and said sternly.... "TIP" !
Also I asked the lady on the left as you enter the office, about my next Visa renewal.
I only have one page left in passport.
"Is that ok for a retire Visa?" .... "No one page not enough "
After, I went to the real guys. and asked them
The guy with the glasses said . after good check," yes no problem!"
Say no more!
Mai mee tahng !

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by BobHelm » July 22, 2014, 7:15 pm

Morti you need to get a new passport fairly swiftly.

Having only 1 page left in your passport limits you to 1 option only if the proverbial should hit the fan in Thailand - you would have to go back to England as no neighbouring country would accept you with a passport in that condition.

It is better to plan ahead than panic when you are left with zero choices... :?

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by mortiboy » July 22, 2014, 8:33 pm

I will apply for new passport as soon as I get my retire Visa
I dont think much disturbance will happen here to warrant making a quick exit.
Only a couple of months then I will apply (pain in the but that it is)
Would I need to go to a neighbouring country? for what purpose.
UK would be my option any way
Mai mee tahng !

goodison
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by goodison » July 23, 2014, 7:27 am

This is how I did it back in 2012. I went to UK renewed my passport at L'Pool passport office. From there went around to Thai Consulate where I applied for and received a Non Imm. 'O' visa. Done & dusted in one day. On my return to Udon applied for and received my Retirement Visa. Hope this is of some help.

rick
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by rick » July 23, 2014, 7:52 am

A lot has changed since 2012. Consulates in UK are now restricted in the visas they can provide.

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by BossHogg69 » July 23, 2014, 7:59 am

Yes, as I understand all the UK consulates now have to send all docs to the Thai embassy in London for permission to issue anything other than a tourist visa.

hairyharry
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by hairyharry » July 23, 2014, 1:03 pm

Just been advised by a UK colleague that Udon Immigration are refusing to extend a single entry (90 day) non imm O (marriage) Visa (issued in Vientiane) that expires on 27/7/2014 to the end date of a new just issued work permit (31/3/2015).

He has been told "cannot do anything with this Visa, must go to Vientiane and get a non-imm B Visa".

I believe it is utter b************s but I have to visit them for an identical purpose next week .................

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in anticipation

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by BobHelm » July 23, 2014, 1:33 pm

Sorry Harry I am a bit confused as to what your friend was trying to do.

He could (in theory & at the discretion of the Officer he saw) extend his single entry Non O by up to 30 days for a fee of 1,900 baht. I have heard that Udon Immigration are reluctant to do this though, although they are happy to do the same for Tourist Visas.. :shock:

Presumably he could also have applied to have his stay in Thailand extended for a year by reason of marriage. He would then have had to provide all the documentation & information necessary to do that - 400,000 in the bank for 2 months, photos etc.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by nkstan » July 23, 2014, 2:24 pm

I renewed my passport and got my income statement.Now I realize that the passport number on my IS is my old passport number.Anyone know if this is a problem?

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by BossHogg69 » July 23, 2014, 4:33 pm

How old is the income statement? Over 30 days no good any more, If all ok just take both passports with you.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by BobHelm » July 23, 2014, 4:45 pm

30 days is not true.
It is up to 6 months old.
There is a post on the Forum somewhere from the American Embassy stating that cut off time..

Ah...here.
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/u ... y%20letter

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Immigration questions?

Post by BossHogg69 » July 23, 2014, 5:05 pm

I can assure you 30 days is the limit at my immigration office.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”