Take away coffee rip off

General Udon Thani topics only!
Arosolius
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by Arosolius » July 14, 2014, 10:20 am

I was at the Wattana hospital after the coffee kiosk was closed and the nearest place to the hospital that might have sold coffee was the White House pizza restaurant. My girl asked if they did take away coffee and they said "yes".

I ordered hot coffee. Here's what I got - see pic.

1 take away food container
1 plastic knife
2 sachets of sugar & 1 of creamer
1 container of hot, weak instant coffee.

All for 60 baht and I filled a standard cup 3 and a half times with the coffee container before it was full
Attachments
DSC01243.JPG

rct
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by rct » July 14, 2014, 10:32 am

I love White House for food.

A further 100-200 meters down the road from Wattana and White House is a very stylish coffee shop in purpose built modern buidings and garden. I do not recall the name.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by stereolab » July 14, 2014, 11:51 am

Arosolius wrote:I was at the Wattana hospital after the coffee kiosk was closed and the nearest place to the hospital that might have sold coffee was the White House pizza restaurant. My girl asked if they did take away coffee and they said "yes".

I ordered hot coffee. Here's what I got - see pic.

1 take away food container
1 plastic knife
2 sachets of sugar & 1 of creamer
1 container of hot, weak instant coffee.

All for 60 baht and I filled a standard cup 3 and a half times with the coffee container before it was full
When I walk in for a coffee, I look to see if they have an espresso machine, if not seen, I walk out. A number of outlets display very fancy "coffee" signs and yet they only serve instant, or that horrible 3 in 1 mix.

arjay
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by arjay » July 14, 2014, 4:09 pm

Yes, I've visited a number of places where the signs and/or menu showed pictures of cappuccino and cafe latte, and I've ordered one or the other, only to be served with a cup of black coffee accompanied by a small jug of evaporated milk. Needless to say, I don't usually go back..

Now I do as Stereolab says, -I look for the machine and evidence that it's used.

parrot
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by parrot » July 14, 2014, 4:17 pm

Back in the days, not so long ago, even a cup of coffee ordered in the Charoen or Charoensri Hotels looked like that.....and they didn't have the decency to provide a knife to cut the coffee.
Nowadays, I also look for the fancy imported-from-Italy 100,000+ machine....but I know there's more to making a good cup of coffee than a fancy machine.....or even a good grade of bean.

parrot
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by parrot » July 14, 2014, 8:56 pm

Were you sporting an Australian flag on your hat/t-shirt when you ordered your coffee?
Attachments
Instant-coffee.png

Shado
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by Shado » July 15, 2014, 8:24 am

That's an interesting map parrot. I'd not thought much about it before but it does reflect my personal travel experiences regarding coffee. Costa Rica provided the most enjoyable and memorable coffee experience. Visiting a plantation there we were served the best I've ever tasted. I took some of that back home as savored it for several weeks a little bit at a time. Really hated to use up that coffee.

I'm not a coffee connoisseur, just someone who enjoys a good cup. Can anyone explain "Modelled" that is shown on the map key? I tried a Google search and I still am not sure.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by Khun Paul » July 15, 2014, 8:47 am

For some reason, Thais cannot make coffee, well, they make it with little or no knowledge of how to make it. Even ' Bon cafe ' makes good coffee badly. Many years ago I was taught, by a Superior Coffee Roasting and grinding shop in Golders Green, London that good filtered coffee needed a pinch of salt in the grains to take away the bitterness that is normal in many coffees today. I do that at home and never have bitter coffee, Thais think that coffee has to be bitter the more bitter the better. So all coffee needs two to three sachets of sugar.

Thais should stick to tea or other drinks , when you consider that sales of three in one coffees is the norm for Thais then having Coffee and Milk and sugar separate completely confuses them. Even my Cleaner struggled, now she makes pretty good coffee with out sugar for me, after learning that boiling water is the best as is fresh milk.

rufus
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by rufus » July 15, 2014, 10:05 am

That is an odd map. Coffee in Australia is expensive but of good quality. The worst country for coffee in my opinion is the US. Their coffee tastes like dishwater, and please don't get me started on that Starbuck's rubbish.

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by Balthasar G. » July 15, 2014, 11:01 am

rufus wrote:The worst country for coffee in my opinion is the US
100 per cent confirmed true. Definitely the worst coffee I've been served in my life. :-&
I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

Zidane
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by Zidane » July 15, 2014, 11:20 am

rct wrote:I love White House for food.

A further 100-200 meters down the road from Wattana and White House is a very stylish coffee shop in purpose built modern buidings and garden. I do not recall the name.
Think the place you mean is N Galleria,rct ? Overlooking Nong Prajak it certainly looks a nice place.
N GALLERIA,Nong Prajak,Udon Thani.jpg
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by papaguido » July 15, 2014, 12:32 pm

Zidane wrote:
rct wrote:I love White House for food.

Think the place you mean is N Galleria,rct ? Overlooking Nong Prajak it certainly looks a nice place.
N GALLERIA,Nong Prajak,Udon Thani.jpg
One next door to N Galleria is named Cafe de UD and the posted hours are 9AM -9PM.

Barney
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by Barney » July 15, 2014, 4:13 pm

Strange the map only rates Vietnam as instant coffee. They have some of the nicest fresh coffee going around from the central Da Lat region, always bring back a couple of kilo when visiting my family.
They certainly know how to present a coffee shop. Their ice/ milk/ fresh brewed coffee(café Su Da) is my favourite on a hot day. Leave the Thais for dead.

Shado
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by Shado » July 15, 2014, 4:37 pm

Much of Africa, Myanmar, Thailand, Syria, Iraq, Mongolia and some other countries show a preference for neither fresh nor instant coffee. The map key shows colors for Fresh (medium blue), Instant (darker blue) and Modelled (gray). Does anyone know what "modelled" means? Perhaps not enough good data to make the call?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by stattointhailand » July 15, 2014, 5:40 pm

I'm sure Earnest would go for the "CAMP" coffee every time :lol:
Camp1.jpg

stereolab
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by stereolab » July 15, 2014, 7:33 pm

Khun Paul wrote:For some reason, Thais cannot make coffee, well, they make it with little or no knowledge of how to make it. Even ' Bon cafe ' makes good coffee badly. Many years ago I was taught, by a Superior Coffee Roasting and grinding shop in Golders Green, London that good filtered coffee needed a pinch of salt in the grains to take away the bitterness that is normal in many coffees today. I do that at home and never have bitter coffee, Thais think that coffee has to be bitter the more bitter the better. So all coffee needs two to three sachets of sugar.

Thais should stick to tea or other drinks , when you consider that sales of three in one coffees is the norm for Thais then having Coffee and Milk and sugar separate completely confuses them. Even my Cleaner struggled, now she makes pretty good coffee with out sugar for me, after learning that boiling water is the best as is fresh milk.
Would I be correct in saying that some "BonCafe" outlets, are not exactly what it says on the box. Some I have visited are serving poor quality coffee, certainly not Boncafe coffee, but a cheaper bean. A proper Boncafe outlet is well run, neat and tidy, with a wide range of foods and off course their own bean selection, there is an outlet in Udon which does not hit any of the foregoing standards.

tamada
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by tamada » July 15, 2014, 7:46 pm

I remember that awful Camp stuff on summer holidays at gran's in the early sixties. Probably about 5% coffee and 80% chicory and the rest all sugar. Bloody vile! Wasn't it a coffee 'substitute' during and after the war when the real stuff was scarcer than hens teeth?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by stattointhailand » July 15, 2014, 8:04 pm

one teaspoonful of camp, mixed with two teaspoonsful of sugar ....... mix well and eat
forget the hot milk ...... mmmmmmm :badteeth: luverlly

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by stattointhailand » July 15, 2014, 8:17 pm

camp mug.jpg
camp mug.jpg (8.63 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
CAMP MUG?

GT93
udonmap.com

Take away coffee rip off

Post by GT93 » July 16, 2014, 2:26 am

Holy smoke Stats. What's earnest Earnie going to think about that?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”