Nation wide crackdown

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
noosard
udonmap.com

Nation wide crackdown

Post by noosard » July 18, 2014, 11:08 am

: Police officers throughout Phuket are ready to dish out fines for motorists who violate traffic laws as part of a nationwide crackdown on road safety starting today.

The Royal Thai Police identified 199 intersections throughout the country known for being traffic-heavy and dangerous, three of which are in Phuket, said Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Sakchai Limcharoen yesterday. They have ordered that officers be stationed at these junctions to be on the lookout for any law-breaking motorists.

“The three intersections in Phuket are the Tesco Lotus junction in Kathu, at Thepkrasattri Road and Rassada Nuson Road near Rajabhat University and in Koh Kaew on Thepkrasattri Road,” said Col Sakchai.

“However, we will be monitoring all intersections throughout the island.”

Five types of drivers will be targeted and fined for violations in the clampdown: drivers who cross multiple lanes of traffic will face a fine of 1,000; those who obstruct traffic will pay 500 baht; ghostriders, or motorists who drive against traffic, will be fined 500 baht; motorists who stop at an intersection but cross over the line will be fined 1,000; and anyone caught using fake licence plates or driver’s licenses will be charged 2,000 baht.

“In addition to having officers stationed at intersections, we have CCTV footage to capture video of motorists who break the law. This allows us to send a ticket straight to the person’s house if we an officer does not catch them in the act,” said Col Sakchai.

“Last month, we had 5,000 traffic violation cases. About 70 per cent of them involved Thai nationals, and most of the violations were motorcyclists not wearing helmets. - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-new ... ad-image-0

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Nation wide crackdown

Post by Aardvark » July 18, 2014, 11:16 am

There are going to be some very unhappy Locals. Imagine a life time of bad habits having to change over night :?

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Nation wide crackdown

Post by jai yen yen » July 18, 2014, 12:07 pm

This is a very good thing, long over due in my opinion. If they stay with it they will save many lives. I have always believed in democracy but I have to say the military has done a very good job so far.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Nation wide crackdown

Post by papafarang » July 18, 2014, 1:05 pm

very good ,less accidents, and the cost of fixing bones for the goverment will drop . and yes this is my second coup here, last time was great, as is this one. democrocy is not what its cracked up to be , i like the military running things, things get done and the squabbling politics are out the window, democrocy only works if coruption is eradicated first. i see yinluck is leaving and they wonder if she will return ?
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

udonthani
udonmap.com

Nation wide crackdown

Post by udonthani » July 18, 2014, 1:51 pm

Very good if they can enforce the law. What really pisses me of is traffickers who has entered the wrong lane and then crossing 2 lanes to get in proper position for a right turn, I am always trying to place my car in good time before making a turn, and I am still keeping my EU habits in driving this means trying to read the traffic and foresee any problems that may occur, and I have never had an car accident here despite 15+year driving, and I am driving in both here and in right driving countries. It also pisses me of when mc, special young people is taking over outside in right turns, no helmet, 2 or 3 on the bike, they live an dangerous life.
Moon

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Nation wide crackdown

Post by stattointhailand » July 18, 2014, 2:21 pm

Hope this "getting into the right lane" doesn't involve driving in the OVERTAKING lane for over a km at about 50kph :evil:

One of my pet hates when making a "U" turn are the guys that can't wait 10 secs, and have to drive up outside you and block your view of the oncoming traffic. The other day there were 5 vehicles side by side at the U turn near my house, there were plenty of chances for the right hand one to pull into the "fast lane", but couldn't see to do it .... second third and fourth one's couldn't see or wouldn't risk going in front of the guy on the inside in case he moved out. The truck on the outside had to wait for all 3 lanes to have a big gap so as he could go. [-X

pomps
udonmap.com

Nation wide crackdown

Post by pomps » July 18, 2014, 11:23 pm

Easy to spot ;)
30194795-01_big.jpg

tutone
udonmap.com

Nation wide crackdown

Post by tutone » July 19, 2014, 9:24 am

There will be no improvement of the traffic situation here until Thai police start routinely patrolling and stopping violators and that won't happen until they are equipped with police cars and/or bigger motorcycles. On the other hand, the lack of police presence sure makes it a lot easier for me to drive here as I no longer strictly follow the rules of the road as I once learned. Driving efficiently here is for me a combination of American and Thai practices. What bothers me most about Thai drivers is their lack of anticipation of what they are going to do or might have to do ahead of them.

Udon Map
Admin

Nation wide crackdown

Post by Udon Map » July 19, 2014, 9:09 pm

We have removed some posts and edited another. I remind you all that any comment which could possibly be interpreted as criticism of the military government is prohibited and could result in severe sanctions. Don't assume that cynicism and sarcasm are not understood.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Nation wide crackdown

Post by stattointhailand » July 19, 2014, 10:08 pm

I think it must be into 3 figures now ....... the amount of times that I pull up at traffic lights (right hand lane so as traffic turning left can do so) behind two or more other cars. Nobody is indicating, then as soon as the lights turn green, the guy at the front doesn't move an inch, and puts his right hand indicator on. Guy number two has stopped inches from his bumper and ditto several others ...... I have stopped 3 or 4 feet short of the guy in front expecting someone to want to turn right, so I can easily turn into the left hand lane and proceed past all the others stuck in line waiting for guy number one to get room to turn.
How many times do these people need to get caught before they start to THINK AHEAD :roll:

Only problem is the idiot coming from the other direction who thinks he has some god given right to turn in front of oncoming traffic :evil:

Return to “Travel & Transport”