Indoor swimming pool

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
smellyellie
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by smellyellie » August 8, 2014, 6:14 pm

Are there any indoor pools in Udon open to the public?thx.

pomps
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by pomps » August 10, 2014, 6:42 am

Google search came up with nowt :(

The Bookhouse
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by The Bookhouse » August 14, 2014, 1:44 am

Don't know a Any indoors, but there is a little pool behind the Bookhouse, as long as not holidays or weekend u should get it to yourself mostly.

udonfox
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by udonfox » August 14, 2014, 2:33 pm

I don't know of an indoor pool but the Napalai Hotel has a huge outdoor pool,also food and drink service.Was 50 baht for an adult per day,30 baht for kids,but those prices were a while back.

dazzz
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by dazzz » August 14, 2014, 4:33 pm

Strange post ,who would build an indoor pool in a country where the temp is usually about 30c + most of the year. We have them in europe because it is cold and the pool would not be used most of the year.
I think Napalai pool has been gone a few yrs so no use given info that is that old.
I swim a lot in thailand and only book a hotel with a pool but in 7 yrs never seen an indoor pool. Might have them somewhere but i never seen or would want to use in such a hot country as it would be very hot inside without aircon,
dazz

udonfox
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by udonfox » August 20, 2014, 2:29 pm

Dazzz,when I said a while back,that was last year.Also why would The Napalai hotel get rid of its pool,a big attraction for locals in April,with poolside bbq's.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by fdimike » August 20, 2014, 8:10 pm

The Napalai pool is under renovation. It is not being eliminated.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

dazzz
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by dazzz » August 21, 2014, 8:58 am

Yes ok im just another farang giving out wrong info but i will tell you what i do know.
I first went to Napalai 7 yrs ago, lovely place room was 700baht had a pool and gym which you could pay 500baht a month for unlimited use.Excellent cheap food and beer by the poolside. Then they shut the gym ? I still went there just for the pool but the last time about 2 yrs ago it was shut for renovation , the roof tiles were falling off the high hotel roof into the pool area . The buildings around the pool were in a bad state of deacay with the small red roof tiles all falling off. The room then was 900baht and was dirty and smelly with sticky carpets and disgusting breakfast.
I phoned the Napalai about 6 months ago and was told the pool was not open and the rooms are now 1100baht. If it was opened and closed again within that 2 yrs i do not know. The hotel is typical of Thailand , beautiful when new but never maintained.Perhaps they have a ten yr plan or it may be open now.
I am in udon tomorrow and i will check as i never trust a thai receptionist to give any correct info on the phone. I looked at trip adivsor reviews and the last one jan this year he states that it is closed and the staff informed him it will be open some time in 2015.
dazzz

udonfox
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by udonfox » August 21, 2014, 10:58 am

Yes Dazzz,I have to agree with you you about the state of the rooms in the Napalai Hotel.The last 3 or 4 years they seem to have concentrated on conventions for their main source of income,while letting the rooms become more and more shabby.I had friends from Phuket stay there 3 years ago and they said their room was very tired and needed renovating.A shame.

dazzz
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by dazzz » August 21, 2014, 3:36 pm

Yes i have to say i really enjoyed my 3/4 months using their pool and gym but i never seen 1 person in the gym besides me so perhaps that is why they closed but the pool area was great and lots sexy girls there and just a good atmosphere.
Nowhere like it now.I was a lot slimmer when i went there :-"
I go to nakha burri on the nong khai road but the food is not good and over priced. There is a new place opposite but the pool is to small except for kids but the food is very nice but do not go when it is busy as not enough staff . I was there last week in the holiday got my curry after 20 mins and my rice 40 mins later , my boy got his khao pad 1hr and 20 mins. Took 15 mins to get a beer and 40 mins to get check bin and got fed up and was sitting in the car when they brought me the bill
Back to the topic , i do not think anyone would bulid an indoor pool in Thailand as the high price for thais stops many going to them and the massive extra cost of extractor fans to take the chlorine fumes out and trying to keep the place cool would be to expensive but good luck.
dazzz

parrot
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by parrot » August 21, 2014, 7:00 pm

A year or so ago there was a 9ish million Baht farang-built house for sale just off the Udon-Nongwahsaw Hwy (around kilo 15)......completely enclosed indoor pool.

GT93
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by GT93 » August 22, 2014, 1:55 am

Parrot doesn't miss much. Perhaps the farang thought Udon got a bit cool in the cool season. Maybe he was from Kuwait?

It's a shame to read what has happened to Napalai. I used to go past there almost everyday when I was living in LOS. I might inquire if the gym is still open there next time I'm in Udon.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

fdimike
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by fdimike » August 22, 2014, 6:04 am

I'm not sure why everyone sems to be lamenting what has happened to the Napalai Hotel. It has gone through extensive renovations to include many of the rooms. The renovations are continuing to this day with the goal of opening a portion of the hotel (building which used to house the massage & employe dorms) into a boutique hotel. The pool is indeed under renovation. The lobby has been completely renovated and is definitely more attractive than many other newer hotels in UT. The list goes on and on with a new restaurant etc etc etc. I was told by owner/manager Ms Oi that the fitness center will be restablished as well. The work is ongoing but takes time. I know all this because a very close friend of mine has been continuously living at the hotel for about 15 years and I have visited him at the hotel numerous times during this renovation period. I also know the owner/manager quite well.

dazzz
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by dazzz » August 22, 2014, 7:45 am

fdimike wrote:I'm not sure why everyone sems to be lamenting what has happened to the Napalai Hotel. It has gone through extensive renovations to include many of the rooms. The renovations are continuing to this day with the goal of opening a portion of the hotel (building which used to house the massage & employe dorms) into a boutique hotel. The pool is indeed under renovation. The lobby has been completely renovated and is definitely more attractive than many other newer hotels in UT. The list goes on and on with a new restaurant etc etc etc. I was told by owner/manager Ms Oi that the fitness center will be restablished as well. The work is ongoing but takes time. I know all this because a very close friend of mine has been continuously living at the hotel for about 15 years and I have visited him at the hotel numerous times during this renovation period. I also know the owner/manager quite well.
Why are you not sure ? Simple for me . I really enjoyed going there but the gym shut at least 5 yrs ago and the pool about 3 or so years and neither seem to be opening in the near future. 5 yrs or more is a long time in your life when you are getting on a bit and probably will not go there again so i miss it .Don`t you think its a bit long for renovation and would have been better maintaining it from the start ? I cut my foot twice and my hand once a long time before the pool shut and even after complaining no tiles were ever fixed.The roof tiles were falling off in 2008 and in the 3/4 yrs i used the place never seen anyone fix 1 tile.
The lobby is fantastic and so is the restaurant but all done just for conferences and as my wife is a headteacher i go there quite often with her. When you leave the conference area it is a bit grim and the passages and walls are very dirty and in bad repair and checking the price yesterday was quoted 1200 baht for the cheapest room in a hotel with no pool no gym and being renovated .Better places to go at that price methinks most expensive room in the paradise hotel is the same price.
I think you being friends with ms Oi has something to do with your post . Next time you see her could you explain that having the pool with all the beautiful photos of it under amenities on her website when it is not open is misleading the public and as you can read some of the guests reviews not to happy to find there is no pool after they have booked.
dazzz

fdimike
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by fdimike » August 22, 2014, 8:07 am

Listen I'm not going to argue with you about this. My friendship with Ms Oi has nothing to do with what I posted. They are my own observations and those of my long time friend who lives there along with my conversations with Ms Oi. My long time good friend who has been living at the hotel for about 15 years now agrees that things have certainly improved. Why is it taking so long to complete the renovation? Simple answer is that it takes time to renovate a large hotel while keeping it open for business. A number of room floors have already been redone and more are scheduled. The Paradise Hotel was completely shut down during the renovation and then completely gutted as well. Additionally, I believe the Paradise Hotel does not approach the size of the Napalai.
I'm not your errand boy so I would suggest you speak to Ms Oi directly, she's normally in the hotel everyday. She speaks excellent English (schooled in the US) and I'm sure would appreciate your comments. I do not stay in this hotel as I have a very nice home with a very large swimming pool of my own.

udonfox
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by udonfox » August 22, 2014, 1:25 pm

Dazzz there is a nice pool open to all on the Tanadorn housing estate on the main road between the khon kaen turning and the ring road which takes you into town or to NongbuaLhampu in the other direction.Alas no food or drink served although there is a small shop and kitchen on site,so maybe they were closed when I was there.The cost was 100 baht for myself and my 2 kids.

dazzz
udonmap.com

Indoor swimming pool

Post by dazzz » August 22, 2014, 2:13 pm

[quote="fdimike"]I'm not sure why everyone sems to be lamenting what has happened to the Napalai Hotel

Are you for real ? Its obvious you are sticking up for your friend. Argue with you ?! You asked the question i gave you the answer which was my experience. If you do not want answers do not ask the question ! This is a forum and that is what it is for hearing different points of view or does only yours count ? It was a really nice place which turned into a hole rather quickly and has been so for at least 4 yrs . If it is ever finished and opens again and is as nice as it was people will stop lamenting (silly word as nobody has died complaining would be better) and go there again including me as we do not all have swimming pools and personally i like to go where there are other people , have a meal and a beer and treat it as a day out and not swim by myself.
Errand boy ? Is there something wrong with the way you read ? I said next time you see her mention the pool is still on her website not Go! and see her.I said that so that guests would not be disappointed when they book there to find out they do not have a pool and for your friend not to be hassled by angry guests. If you do not care then so be it and if you not going to argue why did you reply ? takes 2 to argue.

Thanks udonfox i go to pools a couple of times a week and been to most in udon but not that one. Pity if they do not sell food as we have a few kids here and i like to go out for a meal and a few beers while the kids swim. Will have a look though. Nakha burri still has a good pool but even though it was done up a few years ago it is going the same way as the napalai did. The road in is full of holes the loungers around the pool are all broken, the food is not to good but pricy. The price went up when they installed some big slides which most kids are to scared to use but a good size pool for a swim. The new place opposite is fantastic for kids, cheap ,excellent food,i buy large chang beer 80baht but no good for adults swim but as it cost half as much as nakha burri it is really full on weekends and most thais see to go ther just for a meal . Well worth a visit.
dazzz

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”