Pappaya trees how far to space them apart

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 13, 2014, 9:48 am

This seems to be the only thing the Thai family can't kill. I have one rai of land to use. I'm trying to get an idea of how may I can put on that much land.

Thanks

I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » August 13, 2014, 10:34 am

Here you are
It appears 10 feet apart

http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Papaya
Good luck
Ding

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 13, 2014, 1:41 pm

Not so much on the spacing but the height of the tree...

I used to live in Far north Queensland in a sugar cane town called Gordonvale just up from the sugar mill. Gordonvale has the unenviable distinction of being the location of the first release of the very much hated canetoad (footballer or toad type creature). Any way my drinking buddy neighbor was the scientist type boss at the mill who helped develop better cane. Smart guy with a petrie dish. He used to come up and we would sample liquids out of brown bottles. We used to discuss my garden and trees on a hot muggy sunday arvos and occasional Friday and saturdays, I asked him about my pawpaw trees and why being fully matured they had so much fruit and they were also very so short. He told me that the reason to keep the tree short was so it could be picked easily by hand and the way to achieve this was once the tree reached your desired height was to shove a spade fully into the soil about 1 to 1.5 mtrs from the trunk and cut off the extending and spreading roots. The idea being tree would then only grow as high as the spread of the root system so the main tree would the not topple. Never had the chance to try it but maybe Bumper you could experiment and try it on one tree. If it works then I could come and sample brown liquid in bottles looking at the end result.
This is not some aussie legendary story :^o but true :-" .

Thanks for the link dingdong I will be out buying buckets and soil to plant some fruit trees.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 13, 2014, 1:46 pm

A Rai of Pappaya trees :-k

Should be close to a ton of big red ant eggs each year ..... you aiming to flood the market? :lol:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 13, 2014, 2:39 pm

Things my wife and I have learned about papaya trees over the years:
There are good and bad varieties of papaya. Some are good for eating, some good for somptom, some good for both, and some good for nothing.
There are female and male trees....and the males usually don't bear fruit....but there are กะเทย (transvestite) trees that bear small fruit on long stems. You want some male trees in your garden, but not many.
You'll need plenty of water to keep your trees in good shape/growing/fruiting during the dry season. Loose soil, compost, manure will help a lot.
As some folks have mentioned, if you're growing to pick/sell, you don't want tall trees.
A 10kg bag of unripe papayas (for somptom) sell for a song at the main veggie wholesale market near Makro.
A strong wind can easily topple a papaya tree.
Because 99.99+% of Thais eat papaya, often a few times a day, you probably don't want to grow papaya in an uninhabited area.
Finally, some of the best trees we've grown have been the ones that sprouted from old seed, scattered here or there and untended.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 13, 2014, 6:15 pm

We have about 12 now. They do seem to be about ten feet apart, Grandma planted them for us before she died. Small ones sale for five baht

In the end It is probably just a pipe dream. We are on the edge of Nong Sai and Nong Bua. So a market is available. But, I doubt anyone will take care of them they sure haven't with anything else.

Thanks Guys

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 13, 2014, 6:34 pm

bumper wrote:We have about 12 now. They do seem to be about ten feet apart, Grandma planted them for us before she died. Small ones sale for five baht

In the end It is probably just a pipe dream. We are on the edge of Nong Sai and Nong Bua. So a market is available. But, I doubt anyone will take care of them they sure haven't with anything else.

Thanks Guys
Could have written that myself, and I'm sure a fair few others on here have all had the same experience Bumper.
You buy the XXXXX trees (add your own variety) which will usually be whatever someone has said can make millions in no time (story will probably be third or fourth hand with the profit margin increasing by about 50% each time).
All will be well as the trees get planted (with your help and probably members of the extended family (who you will pay/feed and provide beer for). For a week or two they are marvelous as the rainy season provides their water on a fairly regular basis, but then the rains stop, and for a few days someone goes out and waters the trees, then occationally a day (or two) gets missed, then a week, then you go to look and find a field of shrivelled burned sapplings, that have been without water for weeks (except may be a few nearest to the water source). Funnily nobody seems to know what the problem was (perhaps bad sapplings?), but they are always sure that when you buy another lot next year to replace the dead ones they will be much better :-"

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » August 13, 2014, 7:44 pm

Reminds me of Prenders88 escapades he use to post about his inlaws and his wifes shop on Soi Benjang.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

waltpong
udonmap.com

Post by waltpong » August 13, 2014, 8:38 pm

You will be better off growing Mango trees. I have 50 of them and you dont have to worry about watering them some
of them have been planted off season so now I have some growing when in and some out of season like now. I set up
a stand in front and sell the heck out of them. I make about 2 car payments each year.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » August 13, 2014, 11:19 pm

Mangoes take a few years to grow before they are productive. Also you tend to get a lot all at the same time. Also picking them 20 feet plus up in the air a pain - can wait until they fall but will spoil a few.

I have grown Papaya. You need to plant at the right time - or water for at least a month. Actually, too much water is worse than too little. In my wetter patch, the trees mature in 6 months and can pick fruit after 9 months, and can get 20 or more fruits in the next 6-9 months. But usually then die, roots rotten. On the dry land don't get hardly any water in dry season, and take longer to fruit and not so prolific, but less work and live longer. If you get flooding, you could loose the lot. Also i grow all mine from seeds i collect - so only costs are labour. Mangoes not so easy to grow from seed - i am trying it, got one survived and transplanted, but have to wait for a while now to see if it is any good. Most people buy trees in.

Limes are another get rich quick scheme. Very popular currently and when limes where selling at 3-5 baht, profitable. Also not very long lived and also need a few years to grow.

Papaya and bananas good for quick return and low outlay/effort. Limes and mangoes more outlay and longer payback time.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 14, 2014, 9:46 am

You know honestly I don't know what I was thinking. I spent three years and one heck of a lot of money, building the mushroom farm and commercial fish pond. I made it profitable, Gave it to the Brother in Law in four months pulled every satang out of it. Destroyed all I built, Walked away and left the mess for me to clean up. I'm still in the process of that.

During the time with the mushrooms ect, I was tied down, not really my idea of retirement. In thinking back I was the one that gave the occasional water to the Pappaya and mango tress we have.

Since Grandma died whom I dearly loved, I really have no desire to live there any longer, just not the same,

I think the best thing is to just clean up and sale it.

I want to think you guys for your input, it was a great reality check
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

UNO

Post by UNO » August 20, 2014, 2:28 am

if you want to know more about sustainable farming, I invite you to my farm, you can contact me on 0844522587

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 20, 2014, 9:13 am

I really appreciate that. But since things went the way they did. I think I will stick to my other hobbies. I may give you a call would be interesting to see.

Thanks

Return to “Open Forum”