Which passport number use for flight UK/Thai?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Handsomeman
udonmap.com

Post by Handsomeman » August 14, 2014, 3:09 pm

Hi Guys,

I am sure some of you will be able to help clear this up,

I will soon be visiting the UK with my son who has both a Thai and English passport, the question is which passport number do I put on my sons flight ticket when booking the flight? I will be flying with British airways and they require all passport information,

Any help and advice on this and any other issues I might run into will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 14, 2014, 3:50 pm

Your son will be departing Thailand on his Thai passport (presumably) so the Thai passport information is what BA will expect online. When checking in, they will ask to see his UK passport so that he has no issues entering the UK as far as BA is concerned. He should get a TM6 'landing' card from the BA check-in. Complete this (same as you would when entering Thailand) and present this and his Thai passport to departing Thai Immigration where they will retain the 'Departures' portion, leaving the 'Arrival' slip for when he comes back.

He enters and departs the UK on his British passport. If this travel is using the return portion of the same online ticket, you should use the online check-in to change his passport information to the British one as that is what he will be using to depart the UK. If unable to do it online beforehand, it can be done at check-in so no worries. Once again, the Thai passport can be shown to the BA check-in staff to prove that they are not carrying him at any risk to themselves. Only the Thai passport should be needed at Thai Immigration but have the British one handy in case they ask. He can have both so not an issue.

Handsomeman
udonmap.com

Post by Handsomeman » August 14, 2014, 5:35 pm

Thanks for the reply and information Tamada!

I have just found this site on google and it says different so now im really confused???:

http://www.stylehiclub.com/cruising-fly ... passports/

Step 2: Book a Ticket
Passport to Show: The One You’ll Use at Your Destination
Often when you book a plane ticket to an international destination the airline will ask you for your passport details. If you have two different passports, you should provide the details of the passport you plan to enter the country you are visiting with. The reason the airline asks for passport details is in order to determine if you are allowed to go where you are going. If you are American booking a ticket to China it’s the airline’s responsibility to make sure you have a valid visa – otherwise they risk a huge fine. If you show them a Chinese passport that’s obviously just as good. Whatever document you plan to use on arrival is what you want to give the airline here.
Example: Michael books a ticket to Brazil and enters his Italian passport details with the airline.

Anyone out there who can clear this up?

Cheers

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Post by ajsp9 » August 14, 2014, 6:07 pm

I'd ask the airline mate - that way it's 'from the horses mouth'

Handsomeman
udonmap.com

Post by Handsomeman » August 14, 2014, 6:15 pm

Yes I have emailed British Airways and will apparently get a reply within 2 days, I will post their reply if I get one, meanwhile if anyone else who has had first hand experience with this wishes to give any input it would be appreciated,

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

Post by BossHogg69 » August 14, 2014, 7:19 pm

They will require his UK passport details. Did this with my son last year.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » August 14, 2014, 9:02 pm

No need for the Thai passport until he re enters Thailand. He could use his British passport entering Thailand but he would then be on a 30 day tourist visa.

OT.............. \:D/

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 15, 2014, 8:40 am

The more the OP searches for the 'correct' answer, the more confusion will prevail.

My post was based on first-hand (mine) experience; it worked for me. The article quoted by the OP was also based on first-hand experience; it worked for them.

It makes sense that the airline wants to see the 'destination' passport but by the same token, they still want to see the passport that enables your current presence in country. It's not a big deal.

The key is showing BOTH passports at EITHER check-in so that the airline is satisfied they won't be liable for repatriation for non-compliance with immigration laws. Sometimes this will mean you cannot use the 'internet check-in/bag drop only' options (depending on carrier and departure airport). In that case, making sure you leave enough time to get in line at check-in.

Handsomeman
udonmap.com

Post by Handsomeman » August 15, 2014, 5:21 pm

Thanks guys for all your input!

reddevil
udonmap.com

Post by reddevil » August 15, 2014, 8:15 pm

Simple flying from Thai to UK you need to use the British passport if you do not then you need a Uk visa in the Thai Passport. Flying back to Thailand you can use either because she can enter Thailand with both passport but at Thai imigration than she should use Thai Passport makes sense to me.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”