Driveway - Repair & resurface requirement.

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » August 16, 2014, 5:00 pm

I am looking to repair/resurface my somewhat large, currently concreted, driveway, (approximately 200sq.m). The concrete has become extensively cracked, and is also breaking up quite badly in some areas. I would greatly appreciate recommendations from any members who have had work of this nature carried out to a satisfactory standard, by a reliable contractor. The house is situated along the Udon-Sakhon Nakhon Road, appx. eight kms. from the ring road.Thanks

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » August 17, 2014, 2:59 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:I am looking to repair/resurface my somewhat large, currently concreted, driveway, (approximately 200sq.m). The concrete has become extensively cracked, and is also breaking up quite badly in some areas. I would greatly appreciate recommendations from any members who have had work of this nature carried out to a satisfactory standard, by a reliable contractor. The house is situated along the Udon-Sakhon Nakhon Road, appx. eight kms. from the ring road.Thanks
I doubt that any repair/resurfacing will do much for you.
The reason is more than likely one of or a combination of the following....
Little or no steel reinforcing in the lay
Little or no roadbase under the slab
(given most of the country is clay base it would almost be mandatory if you want it to last)
Poor mix i.e. low cement content or too dry when laid
Inproportionate sand/gravel plus probably no added chemicals
List goes on and on......

Pretty sure you'll have to dig it up and replace the lot.....
20cubic metres at least....(assuming a 100mm slab) quite a lot.

http://construction.about.com/od/Specif ... xtures.htm

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » August 18, 2014, 9:59 am

Bluejets,
Thanks very much for your very comprehensive and helpful post.
You have confirmed, in vastly more succinct and understandable terms what two very pleasant Thai gentlemen bravely tried to explain to me, (someone completely ignorant of such matters :? ), during the course of at least a couple of exhausting hours last evening! :-s
Having become very familiar with the work of the builder who laid the drive, about seven years ago, I am now prepared to believe all the bad news that you have written, and the Thais tried to explain, and that the latter were not just 'working up' the costs. Accordingly have decided to call them back in, and have them do the job, subject to the projected costs not bankrupting me!!
My sincere thanks once again for your kind advice.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 18, 2014, 10:58 am

@ Mat

If and when the job complete, please follow up with the results and recommendation/contact details.

Thanks

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 18, 2014, 7:01 pm

One quick comment, I vaguely remember in time past when laying concrete to lay in slabs, eg:- a 5 meter long slab 3 metres wide and a similar gap then another slab etc etec, until it is all set then fill in the gaps. A friend of mine who was ground contractor assured me that as concrete expands in the heat and contracts in the cold you need a gap to allow the slight movement.
My driveway has those cracks and was laid as far as I can ascertain some 20 odd year ago and apart from some minor flaking in one or two spots as good as new.
The concrete depth is some 3-4 inches on top of a good base, which by all accounts is what you were informed earlier. Another small point is that it is edged by walls on every side which are at a depth of 6-9 inches below the top of the concrete, which also means water does not flow under the immediate surface and wash away the underlying structure.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » August 18, 2014, 8:33 pm

Paul' My thanks for your helpful input. I confirm I brought up both the 'spacing' , as regards what will be the concrete underlay,and also the question of possible water seepage sabotaging the foundations, and was content with the attitude & responses of my, ( now proposed), Thai contractors.
Papa. Will do.
Cheers. Mat.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » September 25, 2014, 10:55 am

Pappaguido.
Work completed satisfactorily. Incidentally, the area of the driveway approximates 100sq.m, not as inadvertantly stated in my original post. The total cost was Bt. 31,000, which I considered reasonable, upon witnessing the number of workers, and the materials and work involved.
Took some photos to send to you but, for some reason unknown to this computer idiot, have been unable to copy them onto the Forum. Have some friends coming for dinner Sunday night, and intend to ascertain whether either of them can get the job done for me.
Meantime,the information you requested. Boss Lady Tia, (081-739-4866), arrived spot on the agreed time of 0900hrs, in a two pickup convoy, containing her husband plus twelve workers. Over the next couple of days I was treated to a display of organised, efficient team work, with every worker allotted a task which they each performed, under the eagle eye of Tia. I have never seen, during my 22+ years in Thailand, nor had I ever expected to see,such efficiency & organisation, from a group of Thai workers
At the completion of the job, the surrounding garden area and the 'working area' immediately outside the property were were cleared of all accumulated rubbish, and thoroughly washed down.
Alas! Following heavy overnight rain, an inspection of the driveway revealed three areas of cracking in the driveway surface,(one across the complete width), and some puddling in one area. Being of a realistic frame of mind, I pessimistically starting looking forward to weeks of abortive efforts to get Tia to come back and make good the defective work. A 'phone call to her explaining the problems, resulted in her promising to come at 0900hrs the next morning to 'fix the problems'.
Amazingly, promptly at 0900hrs, she arrived with a team of seven workers, and was profusely apologetic. The remedial work was completed satisfactorily by 1600hrs, much to my surprise & relief.
To complete this fairytalelike story, on not even a single occasion did I see either Tia or any of her workers using, or with a mobile telephone, in their hand, throughout the three days!! Honest!!:shock:
Hope all goes well with you.
Regards,
mathusalah80

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » September 25, 2014, 5:56 pm

mathusalah80 wrote: Took some photos to send to you but, for some reason unknown to this computer idiot, have been unable to copy them onto the Forum
Hi
As I am planning on doing the same type of work soon, I would also like to see the photos. Did you find out why the surface cracked (or did it crack through the whole slab)? Did they remove all the old cement or just repair? 8-[
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 25, 2014, 7:09 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:Pappaguido.
Work completed satisfactorily. Incidentally, the area of the driveway approximates 100sq.m, not as inadvertantly stated in my original post. The total cost was Bt. 31,000, which I considered reasonable, upon witnessing the number of workers, and the materials and work involved.
Took some photos to send to you but, for some reason unknown to this computer idiot, have been unable to copy them onto the Forum. Have some friends coming for dinner Sunday night, and intend to ascertain whether either of them can get the job done for me.
Meantime,the information you requested. Boss Lady Tia, (081-739-4866), arrived spot on the agreed time of 0900hrs, in a two pickup convoy, containing her husband plus twelve workers. Over the next couple of days I was treated to a display of organised, efficient team work, with every worker allotted a task which they each performed, under the eagle eye of Tia. I have never seen, during my 22+ years in Thailand, nor had I ever expected to see,such efficiency & organisation, from a group of Thai workers
At the completion of the job, the surrounding garden area and the 'working area' immediately outside the property were were cleared of all accumulated rubbish, and thoroughly washed down.
Alas! Following heavy overnight rain, an inspection of the driveway revealed three areas of cracking in the driveway surface,(one across the complete width), and some puddling in one area. Being of a realistic frame of mind, I pessimistically starting looking forward to weeks of abortive efforts to get Tia to come back and make good the defective work. A 'phone call to her explaining the problems, resulted in her promising to come at 0900hrs the next morning to 'fix the problems'.
Amazingly, promptly at 0900hrs, she arrived with a team of seven workers, and was profusely apologetic. The remedial work was completed satisfactorily by 1600hrs, much to my surprise & relief.
To complete this fairytalelike story, on not even a single occasion did I see either Tia or any of her workers using, or with a mobile telephone, in their hand, throughout the three days!! Honest!!:shock:
Hope all goes well with you.
Regards,
mathusalah80
Awesome report, contact info noted...thanks ;)

Return to “House & Land”