Let's Help the Police

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
stoneman
udonmap.com

Let's Help the Police

Post by stoneman » August 20, 2014, 4:02 pm

Every morning I drive from Nong Wauso to my son's school on the road that goes on past the airport entrance and I repeat this every afternoon...

Every time I get to the corner to turn from the ring road onto the road going to the airport, there are always many drivers who make that right turn out of the straight ahead lane...

I did some rough computations....There are approximately 25 cycles of the light every hour and on each cycle between 7 AM and 9AM and from 3PM to 5PM, there are at least 10 cars making an illegal turn and also causing a potential accident...So if the police would come every morning and set up for 2 hours, charging each illegal turn 200 baht, that is 100,000 baht for 2 hours work...Do this twice a day, 5 days a week and they have pocketed a MILLION baht and done something more important than getting 200 baht off the helmetless motor bike drivers...

Then, while they are there, they can get the songkaew drivers that let the students ride on top of the songkaew...

One more thought and I will get off my soapbox...When we stop the drivers for this illegal turn, we take their driver's license and attach to the police copy of the ticket, giving the driver the other copy as a receipt for his driver's license and tell him that he has to go to the central police station to pay the fine..And if he doesn't have a driver's license, which is quite possible, they take his ID card and return it when he presents his "new" driver's license...

Surely there are members of this board that have good contacts with the police dept and we could serve as a conduit to give them information about consistent problem areas

TicToc
udonmap.com

Let's Help the Police

Post by TicToc » August 20, 2014, 4:20 pm

Yes that's the turn that annoys me also,somebody always trying to push in as they can't wait.I always go around the bend wide and cut them off.

Barney
udonmap.com

Let's Help the Police

Post by Barney » August 20, 2014, 4:47 pm

Good idea but prevention is better than a cure, get a couple of coppers on traffic duty and stand in the intersection to help guide the traffic for those few hours.

Shado
udonmap.com

Let's Help the Police

Post by Shado » August 20, 2014, 5:45 pm

I like your idea stoneman. Those illegal turns at that location aggravate me as well. Just down the road at the Khon Kaen / Nong Bua Lam Phu ringroad intersection there is the same situation with traffic making the right turn when coming from the southwest and heading on the south ring road towards Hwy 2 (Khon Kaen).

I've seen the motorcycle stops there but not for the illegal turns. I think part of the problem at the south ring road intersection is that there are right merge arrows in the center lane before the lane becomes straight ahead at the lights. It may appear to be dual right hand turns until you reach the intersection where the straight ahead arrow is clearly evident.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Let's Help the Police

Post by fatbob » August 20, 2014, 6:29 pm

I do what Tic Toc doe's and fade them every time.

TicToc
udonmap.com

Let's Help the Police

Post by TicToc » August 20, 2014, 8:53 pm

What also helps is when you point that 357 Magnum at them and put on your Clint Eastwood face of utter contempt
and loathing,funny works everytime.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Let's Help the Police

Post by Khun Paul » August 21, 2014, 7:34 am

Help the Police lets all give them 500 baht a month that should make their life easier, really , help those who help themselves and to my mind even if I am an ex-copper, the Police here do themselves no favours, so I promise not to break the law, if they promise to do the same thing, that really means I do not have to keep my promise.

Paladin
udonmap.com

Let's Help the Police

Post by Paladin » August 21, 2014, 8:10 am

Just think what Revenue an extra 200 Police would collect if just 4 stood at every set of traffic lights. More than enough to pay their wages and heaps more for the weekend parties. Its strange to me that they consistently harass the motorcycle riders for 200 baht, when they would better served of the safety of drivers in so many other areas, especially at Intersections where it is Chaos every day of the year.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Let's Help the Police

Post by FrazeeDK » August 22, 2014, 3:39 am

same with the string on getting meter maids out to boot illegally parked cars.. I'm sure you could weld a wheel boot out of rebar and buy a padlock pretty cheaply. Build 300 and deploy them downtown and voila!! a cash cow
Dave

Return to “Open Forum”