Tourism Dual Pricing a Problem

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 4, 2014, 11:31 am

There is one thing about Thailand they never do anything to prevent problems only react out of embarrassment I suppose.

Kid dies of snake bite is good example after the fact they decide to stock anti venom, surely snake bites are not that unusual here.

Note an editoral

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/757 ... editorial/

I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 4, 2014, 12:57 pm

This editorial makes me smile, for years now , and when-ever my Rotary Club gts aperson from the Ministry of trourism speaking I ask the same question, why do I have to pay in some cases over 200% more to use a dirty unkempt toil;et and to wander around grounds that need cleaning etc, when Thai can and do come in free, litter the place and generally treat it as their own, which of course it isn't.
I have been amazed at the answers, we do it in the UK....really
Everywhere else does it ....really and the best of all, you can afford it.
WQell to all those answers I replied in the negative and said while you continue to dual price , I will not visit, their reply was your loss. I don't think so and neither do many of my friends.
it even happened when i was visiting a site with Thai friends, they stopped the car and demanded I pay an inflated fee, we all left before going any further with my Thai friends profusely apologising. They were so embarrassed.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 4, 2014, 3:34 pm

The dual pricing really rattles some farang. Not me. If the cumulative effect of these things is so dreadful I suppose you could leave Thailand Khun Paul. But I guess you get enough positives in Thailand that staying in Thailand is still the best choice for you. Many guys would probably envy your life. Swings and roundabouts.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 4, 2014, 4:54 pm

It is not the fact that they dual price per se, it is the fact that despite trumpeting their tourist attractions the maintainence and cleanliness of basic requirements is so bloody poor. One does not mind paying Thb 200 as opposed to Thb 20m if your a Thai if the toilets were clean, restaurant was cleanish and generally well maintained, but when you pay and then wish to use the toilet, it is grimy, grubby and god knows what else is crawling around them and you have paid.

Whatever attractin you have paid to see it is spoilt because basic amenities are crap to put it mildly, if it is free you really do not expect perfection but when you know you have paid well over the odds and things are not clean then it is a bit of a let down.

Like the time I actually ventured into the Tourism office on non prajak, not only did they NOT speak any English they had no idea how to help me. that was some years ago, but from what i can gather it has not got any better. I may be wrong but I doubt it.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 4, 2014, 5:28 pm

Regardless of where it occurs dual pricing has and always will be an issue here , best just to learn to live with it or if poss work round it ..... i have definately calmed down towards this and many other facets of life here ... what used to make my blood boil now raises a shake of the head and smile ...then forgotten - i must be getting mellow in my old age.

Try it ....it can be done !!

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » September 4, 2014, 5:43 pm

God help us if the Tourist office only speaks Thai and not English or Chinese or Hindi or ? !
I cant imagine any Thais being tourists in Thailand

In Canada I have entered various tourist attractions and low and behold they cant even speak the 2 national languages of the country.
UK who only knows how many languages that are spoken there nowadays.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 4, 2014, 5:46 pm

I don't think he was really talking about us. But rather a reputation within the tourist industry. What do you hear from tourist and newbies it's so cheap :lol:

For us that have been around for awhile, double charge us and you won't get our business again. There are lots of places to buy what you want in Udon and most of them are fair.

National parks, Ya that one ticks me off a bit. Far less then National Parks in my home country. They are Far more expensive then Thailand. But, they are well taken care of and everyone pays the same price. As resident even if visitor status, I would like to be recognized for what contribute year after year. Honestly about the most I will do at a National Park is ride through it. Normally with a Thai drivers license an a explanation that will get me through at normal costs. If it doesn't then I will so simply change my plans and scratch it off the to do list. Lots of places to enjoy, without having to do that.

When I go to a tourist area in season I expect to pay a little more. I really don't mind it, they have short period of time to earn their money. So it seems fair to me. I want a better deal I can go in the off season.

Again I think it's the world having the view that they will be over charged here, that they are worried about.

Honestly after investing here, I'm not so sure that it's that big of deal, there is a lot more going here then just the tourist industry.

Well this is surprise the power went off and the posting was saved for about 1&1/2 hours.

Every year seems like we get something about what is going to hurt tourism and yet it seems to do OK

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 17, 2014, 7:47 pm

The Floating Market in Hua Hin , now charges 200Baht for tourists as 100's of Thais walk in for free, I just showed my Thai Drivers licence on Sunday and not even a blink.

Its got to be the only Market that charges an entrance fee for Expats / Tourists

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » September 17, 2014, 8:27 pm

The legal dual pricing or Tourism dual pricing is something I can put up with. It's the illegal dual pricing or rip offs I hate.
I just made a deal with a tut tut which was double the normal fare and when he dropped me off he asked for even more money, I lost my patience by then and told him to ---- off or I will call the old bill. He took my advice.
Bit of a ---- day today for OT amongst other things. Rant over.

OT......... \:D/

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 17, 2014, 8:32 pm

OT

I use an Udon taxi. 100 anywhere in the ring road. 24/7

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » September 17, 2014, 8:45 pm

wazza wrote:OT

I use an Udon taxi. 100 anywhere in the ring road. 24/7
Cheers, handy to know. I was thinking of making a trip to UT by the end of next week and I have sold my pick up.
Today's attempted rip off happened to me in India, It's common place all over Asia to rip off a falang and this dual pricing thing.

OT.......... \:D/

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » February 3, 2015, 5:28 pm

If you have a Thai d/l use it to get the Thai price,prices being upped in some places so the standard charge for a farang is 400 baht :-k
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... foreigners

Return to “Open Forum”