marriage retirement visa

General Udon Thani topics only!
ianrodders
udonmap.com

marriage retirement visa

Post by ianrodders » October 21, 2014, 1:33 pm

hi guys and gals
i know this topic has been covered but cant seem to find my answer,does anybody know if house and land make up the requirement for income to qualify for a retirement visa or does it have to be cash funds of 400000 baht each for my wife and i ?
many thanks people
ian

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

marriage retirement visa

Post by stattointhailand » October 21, 2014, 1:56 pm

I've read your post 3 times Ian, and can't help wondering why you would want an extension based on marriage for your wife AND you (400,000 each). If your wife needs a visa as she is not Thai, then how can YOU get an extension based on "Marriage to a Thai" ?
Sorry if I'm being stupid here, it wont be the first time.

samuel
udonmap.com

marriage retirement visa

Post by samuel » October 21, 2014, 2:37 pm

easy to learn how to use the advanced search: > Link
for sure you'll find a lot of Information - as long as you don't plan to retire from your marriage.
;)

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

marriage retirement visa

Post by BossHogg69 » October 21, 2014, 2:38 pm

You do not own any land here, It has to be money in the bank or income from abroad unless you have a workpermit I believe.

Macca
udonmap.com

marriage retirement visa

Post by Macca » October 21, 2014, 2:56 pm

Are you applying in the UK or locally?
If in the UK then no financial papers are currently being requested.

Arosolius
udonmap.com

marriage retirement visa

Post by Arosolius » October 21, 2014, 3:46 pm

I'm lead to believe that you don't need 800,000 in the bank to qualify if you have a sum in the bank which Immigration will divide by 12, plus a letter from your embassy to state that your monthly income is a certain amount and that when the combined total per month exceeds 66,666 baht you qualify. Is that right I wonder?

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

marriage retirement visa

Post by BossHogg69 » October 21, 2014, 3:48 pm

That is ok for retirement extension but not marriage must be 400000 or income with letter from embassy cannot combine

Zidane
udonmap.com

marriage retirement visa

Post by Zidane » October 21, 2014, 4:17 pm

If your wife is a non Thai ?? then you will BOTH have to get an extension based on retirement.
If she is a Thai its only yourself than needs to get an extension based on marriage OR retirement.
Things like property do not count.It has to be monthly income or cash in the bank or a combination of both for the extension based on retirement.

Extension based on marriage.....income of 40k baht per monthy or 400k baht in a Thai bank account.
Extension based on retirement....income of 65k baht a month or 800k baht in a Thai bank account or a combination of both.

New Visa Restrictions for Foreign Married Couples from January 2014 (Bangkok Post)

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Immigration Bureau has announced that the foreign wives of expats with a one-year retirement visa will in future need their own separate pension income or cash in a Thai bank.
In the past, these wives have been able to “join” their husband’s visa by simply showing a marriage certificate and a current non-immigrant visa in their passport. It was not necessary for both partners to show their own income or cash.
Under the revised guidelines, both foreign partners in a marriage will separately need to demonstrate yearly income in the first country of at least 800,000 baht equivalent or maintain separate bank accounts of the same minimum amount, or provide a combination of both.
Letters from an embassy are still required as proof of the income whilst the 800,000 baht in a Thai bank must have been there for three months prior to the application (2 months 1st application) and be supported by a letter from that financial institution.
The toughening up of the rules on retirement visas is believed to have been caused by concerns that some farang-farang marriages are not genuine or may have broken up.
The requirement for each partner to show evidence of 800,000 baht in cash or income, or a combination of both, is seen as the best guarantee from an Immigration Bureau viewpoint. Nor is it possible for a married couple to present a joint bank account. Each partner is now treated as a separate entity.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

marriage retirement visa

Post by stattointhailand » October 21, 2014, 5:07 pm

BossHogg69 wrote:That is ok for retirement extension but not marriage must be 400000 or income with letter from embassy cannot combine
not according to Siam Legal website ....

QUALIFICATIONS

Must be married to a Thai national

This is substantiated through a Marriage Certificate. There are instances (depending on the processing immigration office) when a copy of an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry is also required. This affirmation is obtained by the foreigner from his embassy in Thailand.
Must meet the financial requirement
Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application; or
Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreigner embassy has to be shown to verify this income; or
Combination of the Thai bank account and yearly income with the total of 400,000 THB.

Note:- It would appear that on the second & subsequent applications money must be in the bank for at least 3 months.

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

marriage retirement visa

Post by BossHogg69 » October 21, 2014, 6:44 pm

They are wrong

samuel
udonmap.com

marriage retirement visa

Post by samuel » October 21, 2014, 9:56 pm

Flyer from Udon Thani Immigration
Extension based on marriage
as of 2008 (still valid)
21.10a.jpg
21.10b.jpg

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

marriage retirement visa

Post by BossHogg69 » October 22, 2014, 6:16 am

yes confirms what I posted

ianrodders
udonmap.com

marriage retirement visa

Post by ianrodders » November 24, 2014, 2:55 pm

thankyou guys very helpful I wasn't clear in my original post as my wife is thai so it is only me requiring the retirement visa also as we are currently residing in the uk and she is a returning citizen would I be able to put all our belongings in her name thus saving import taxes?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”