American Thinking.

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
vlad
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by vlad » December 31, 2014, 5:27 pm

What makes an American woman walk into walmart with a 2 yr old and 7 other children with a loaded handgun in her bag. The 2 yr old reaches in the bag pulls the trigger bye mummy.

Earnest
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by Earnest » December 31, 2014, 5:48 pm

Americans exist within a different culture to us Brits. In some States, it's not unusual to carry firearms as you go about your daily business. Some Americans feel better protected when carrying a firearm. As an aside, I was amazed at walking in a Walmart in Alabama and seeing various hunting rifles for sale. You may find it abhorrent but you can't judge them with your British values, the same as you can't judge Thais, who also operate in a different culture.

In short, if a culture accepts firearms in its society then these accidents will occur, not everyone is a well-trained serviceman taught to respect firearms.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by FrazeeDK » December 31, 2014, 7:14 pm

culling the herd from the lowest denominator!
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by parrot » December 31, 2014, 7:24 pm

Earnest wrote:Americans exist within a different culture to us Brits. In some States, it's not unusual to carry firearms as you go about your daily business. Some Americans feel better protected when carrying a firearm. As an aside, I was amazed at walking in a Walmart in Alabama and seeing various hunting rifles for sale. You may find it abhorrent but you can't judge them with your British values, the same as you can't judge Thais, who also operate in a different culture.

In short, if a culture accepts firearms in its society then these accidents will occur, not everyone is a well-trained serviceman taught to respect firearms.

I'll accept 10 lashes with a wet guideo noodle for thinking you were just the editor behind Udon Echo.

I've come to accept a few things in life over the years.......one, the state of affairs with guns back in the US. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is. But for accepting it, I won't shed a tear when such accidents happen. When the citizens of Newtown still stand by their guns, well, I suppose if you don't like it, you move to another town. But if 25 innocent lives didn't change their way of thinking, nothing will.
I know, I know, guns don't kill people.........2 year olds in a shopping cart do. Imagine what the child might have done had the mother put a machete in her purse instead!!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by FrazeeDK » December 31, 2014, 7:36 pm

well, put guns in the hands of idiots and bad things can happen a loaded, locked and loaded pistol in Mom's purse?? That is not smart to say the least...
Dave

Earnest
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by Earnest » December 31, 2014, 7:57 pm

And I'll be lazy and grab a cliche - sadly, she isn't the first and won't be the last. Firearms are a feature of US life so it's going to happen.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by jackspratt » December 31, 2014, 10:18 pm

parrot wrote: I know, I know, guns don't kill people.........2 year olds in a shopping cart do. Imagine what the child might have done had the mother put a machete in her purse instead!!
Stretch your imagination - what if she had an M16 in her purse. :shock:

Idaho is an "open carry" state. :-k

bignote1
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by bignote1 » December 31, 2014, 11:17 pm

Earnest wrote:Americans exist within a different culture to us Brits.
You may find it abhorrent but you can't judge them with your British values.
Gosh! You mean all my criticism of beheadings by Islamic State were unfair?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by stattointhailand » December 31, 2014, 11:35 pm

Who did the mother think she would need to shoot in Walmart? :-k

perhaps the till lady didn't let her use the out of date money off vouchers last month :evil:

Earnest
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by Earnest » January 1, 2015, 12:04 am

bignote1 wrote:Gosh! You mean all my criticism of beheadings by Islamic State were unfair?
Sorry, old son, I'm unaware of your criticisms with regard to Islamic State. Are you sure you submitted something here? Maybe it was one of your £5 letters to the editor at Jackie?

tigerryan
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by tigerryan » January 1, 2015, 2:28 am

It's just a sad event. Having a weapon in your purse that's ready to rock n roll with your two year old kid next to it is fcking stupid and every gun loving American would admit it. Two year olds have sent family members to the grave by lighting the house on fire or kicking the pickup out of gear while parked on a hill or tossing moms curling iron into the tub. The media and gun hating Brits will have a good go with this tragic story.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by Khun Paul » January 1, 2015, 7:03 am

They think, absolutely amazing, RIP to the mother and my condolences to the husband and children .

downunder
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by downunder » January 1, 2015, 8:57 am

ITS JUST A SAD EVENT CAUSED BY UNDENIALABLE STUPITIDY, THAT HAPPENS ON A DAILY BASIS, STOP sitting on your BRAINS, STOP flushing then down the Toilet, STOP making excuses for yourselves. Do you need more than FACTS?
You have had many Decades with "GUNS DONT KILL" They were made for man to defend himself, so if you can tell me how sensible it is to have an UNCOCKED, LOADED REVOLVER AT THE DISPOSAL OF A TWO YEAR OLD. GUNS WERE MADE TO KILL, ANYONE WHO DENIES THIS NEEDS HELP IN A BIG WAY
Think of all the misery, the unhappiness for the first day of the year that has to be endured around the world just by the domestic situation because what Guns can achieve in the wrong hands.

Dr. James
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by Dr. James » January 1, 2015, 3:56 pm

I think you meant COCKED not UNCOCKED pistol in her purse.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by stattointhailand » January 1, 2015, 4:40 pm

Dr. James wrote:I think you meant COCKED not UNCOCKED pistol in her purse.
Well some ###### "Cocked up" well and truly, by letting yet another brainless individual buy a gun :evil:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by BobHelm » January 1, 2015, 4:58 pm

Well the lady was far from being unintelligent, rather the opposite from an education viewpoint.
She was a published scientist.
She & her husband were also committed users of firearms & she was trained enough to have a permit to carry a concealed weapon.
The bag that she was carrying the weapon in was specially made to carry the weapon & had been a Christmas present from her husband.

It is difficult to see how any Government that allowed people to carry a concealed weapon would have refused her to do so.
& yet, at the final analysis she is dead & her infant son must grow up knowing that he is responsible...
A tragedy...

can123
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by can123 » January 1, 2015, 5:12 pm

BobHelm wrote:The bag that she was carrying the weapon in was specially made to carry the weapon & had been a Christmas present from her husband.
It would appear that the couple were well suited. He is now free to buy her the "casket of her dreams". For my part I only feel smug when an idiot who carries a deadly weapon in public falls victim to its use. The death of this woman is of little consequence. The true tragedy is that Americans seek to justify this uncivilised behaviour and hold themselves above others who believe in the sanctity of life.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by stattointhailand » January 1, 2015, 5:33 pm

"Well the lady was far from being unintelligent, rather the opposite from an education viewpoint.
She was a published scientist".

One assumes her published scientific work was a thesis about how to be a brainless idiot in Walmart.
Afraid there is absolutely no way I can agree with your statement "the lady was far from being unintelligent" Bob ...... THE FACTS DO NOT ALLOW IT

akwoodworker
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by akwoodworker » January 1, 2015, 5:38 pm

The gun craze in America is an amazing marketing success. Convince people they need to protect themselves against 'those people' and suggesting that a amateur will be able to defend themselves against a trained shooter is ridiculous. But Americans buy guns in droves with no consideration of the deadliness of such tools. Kinda like the radical gun groups, it there ever were a weaponized revolt our government would merely dispatch a few drones and crush the rebellion, those remaining would be facing very hardened black ops with hundreds of kills under their belts. Fortunately Americans are very brainwashed and passive so there is very little possibility of actual deaths, merely millions if not billions in profit.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

American Thinking.

Post by newtovillagelife » January 1, 2015, 5:42 pm

Totally agree can123!!!!

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”