Does Thailand really want tourists?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Arosolius
udonmap.com

Post by Arosolius » January 3, 2015, 5:32 pm

I'm on a trip down South and have been in 4 national parks where the locals are charged 40 - 60 baht but farangs are charged between 100 - 400 baht entrance fees. I'm sure the people who formulated the rules had a very good reason for the difference in charges but it doesn't seem like a very tourist friendly idea to me.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » January 3, 2015, 8:27 pm

Perhaps if you look at it this way.
The fee's are 100 baht,but discount at 40 baht to the less well off Thai person.
Seems its not the Farang being ripped off, but Thai people being subsidized.
Mai mee tahng !

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » January 3, 2015, 9:01 pm

Just back from 8 days at Cha Am.
Visited several attractions with the family and in all cases prices were displayed as fixed price and promotion price.
I qualified for promotion price on showing my Thai driving licence.

I'm actually more cheesed off with UK situation where national lottery (which can only be purchased by UK resident) uses cash to subsidise museums for all nationalities to enter free. Perhaps the Thais have got it right.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » January 3, 2015, 9:13 pm

Yes Macca Thais Have got it right!
Thailand take care their own.
Any Tom, Dick, or Harry cant waltz into a job Here.
Why give work to outsiders when their own countrymen need it
Strict rules on immigration too!
Unlike Britain.... Uncontrollable immigration
Mai mee tahng !

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » January 4, 2015, 6:26 am

Farangs paying more than Thais at the ticket booth? :shock:

I've not seen that before, are you sure?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

weasel
udonmap.com

Post by weasel » January 4, 2015, 7:58 am

Earnest I am unhappy to advise that today at Ban Chiang I paid 150 baht and the TW paid ZERO. As a % that is infinity difference....maybe a different world?

Weasel :(

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » January 4, 2015, 8:49 am

Does Thailand really want tourists? Yes. And millions and millions of them visit every year. Thailand is not going to be the same as back home. If we long for that, then we can stay home.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

uluru
udonmap.com

Post by uluru » January 4, 2015, 11:18 am

I've been in a lot of national parks here and have been charged as much as 400 baht while my Thai partner has been charged 50 or sometimes nothing at all. Here's a pic of a national park ticket which has the words Foreigner fee on it. This one was for 100 baht while the Thai lady with me wasn't charged anything. I think what the person who originated this post is commenting on the way that Thailand can be perceived as being unfriendly to tourists rather than Thais looking after their own. There are so many examples of Thai unfriendliness towards tourists on YouTube and it surely doesn't do Thailand's image as a tourist destination any good.
Attachments
Ticket.JPG

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » January 4, 2015, 12:51 pm

GT93 wrote:Does Thailand really want tourists? Yes. And millions and millions of them visit every year. Thailand is not going to be the same as back home. If we long for that, then we can stay home.
Thailand does not want tourists, they want their money, big difference. Anyway to get cash from foreigners is acceptable in Thailand. If Thais really wanted foreigners to visit the attitudes would be very different. I also agree if you don't like it stay home or go somewhere else. It is what it is.

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » January 4, 2015, 1:02 pm

Was pleasantly surprised to get free entry along with the Thai dads when out for the day on Kings birthday.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » January 4, 2015, 1:15 pm

Earnest I am unhappy to advise that today at Ban Chiang I paid 150 baht and the TW paid ZERO. As a % that is infinity difference....maybe a different world?
During our last trip to Ban Chiang (this past year) I just showed them my Thai driver's license and was given the usual Thai entry charge. Thirty baht I believe. Did you try showing your Thai license Weasel?

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 4, 2015, 1:31 pm

Earnest wrote:Farangs paying more than Thais at the ticket booth? :shock:

Ha ! Ha ! But..............You are only An Occasional Visitor... :D :D :D

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 4, 2015, 1:32 pm

GT93 wrote:Does Thailand really want tourists? Yes. And millions and millions of them visit every year. Thailand is not going to be the same as back home. If we long for that, then we can stay home.
But YOU Do stay at Home Don't You ??

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 4, 2015, 1:33 pm

Did you try showing your Thai license Weasel?.....Shado, I Thought Earnest had changed his log-in Name Again there for A Minute...555

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 4, 2015, 2:32 pm

That Song by Abba springs to mind........Money, Money, Money.....

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » January 4, 2015, 2:34 pm

Without referring to the irritating double pricing issue it's an interesting question. I think that there are those that need tourists but I'm not sure that there are a lot that really want tourists. Does this makes Thailand different from other places? When I was a kid we went camping in a small country town every summer and the local kids were always really hostile towards the, 'rubber neckers,' and the older locals in the pub were never keen to engage with tourists unless they were pretty girls. So maybe the general dislike of outsiders is a universal trait.
As Jai Yen Yen said - what those involved in making a living out of tourists want is the tourists money. Those who don't rely on tourism would have opinions across the spectrum from curiosity to hostility to indifference.
Another question might be - Does Thailand really want expat retirees?
Watch Me!!

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » January 4, 2015, 2:45 pm

747man wrote:
But YOU Do stay at Home Don't You ??
These days I'm a tourist unlike the ex-pats here 747man. But true I'm not a tourist this downunder summer. I've been paying too much recently for Thai family members flying the other way. I have lived and worked in Thailand before and I'm very aware of the whinging some farang in Thailand seem to to get off on. I'd rather drink my next beer than whinge too much about 200 baht.

555 marjamlew. That's a good question. There's the concern that ex-pat farang might become a burden and the Thai government or the Thai people have to support them. As Thailand continues to develop there's less need for money from foreign ex-pats. Maybe the Thai government thinks foreigners promote the welfare of low income Thais since we tend to marry that segment of Thai society. OK - some of us might have married high sos but that's a small minority. I think low income Thais want ex-pats in Thailand.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 26, 2015, 9:38 pm

Earnest wrote:Farangs paying more than Thais at the ticket booth? :shock:

You CLOWN !! :oops: :oops:

can123
udonmap.com

Post by can123 » June 26, 2015, 9:48 pm

If the price is higher for a farang than a Thai I make it clear that I disapprove and move on. I refuse to be treated as an inferior being. Strangely, when these things happen I usually succeed in making the sellers look ashamed and there is very little of the "Thai cool" seen. They lose a sale and despite their changed attitude, which results in a lower price being offered, I refuse to buy anything at any cost. They become the dummies. If all farangs adopted my attitude we would not be seen as easy touches. Those who allow themselves to be ripped off do the rest of us a disservice.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 26, 2015, 9:57 pm

can123 wrote:If the price is higher for a farang than a Thai I make it clear that I disapprove and move on. I refuse to be treated as an inferior being. Strangely, when these things happen I usually succeed in making the sellers look ashamed and there is very little of the "Thai cool" seen. They lose a sale and despite their changed attitude, which results in a lower price being offered, I refuse to buy anything at any cost. They become the dummies. If all farangs adopted my attitude we would not be seen as easy touches. Those who allow themselves to be ripped off do the rest of us a disservice.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”