Udon Airport - International?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » January 3, 2015, 9:31 pm

Last time I can remember any international flights from UTH was approx 6 years ago when Tiger Air flew to Singapore.
Last week took a flight to Bkk and noticed, for 1st time, a separate departure area for international flights. Well manned and appeared fully operational.
Return flight today and the 2 carousel are separated with a high wall. One for domestic and the other for international arrivals.

BUT.... neither at the airport or on the web can I see any information regards international flights.
Is this all about to change or is this just a set up for chartered flights?

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » January 4, 2015, 7:21 am

Not heard on any updates,the renovation of the old terminal is painfully slow and no doubt will be very similar in style as the new terminal by looking at it when arriving,one walkway already in position,more luggage belts,pack em in upstairs etc.
Laos airlines used to have a flight to Luang Prabang from Udon,have seen though a hard sell for this flight option through Swampy with Thai airways and Laos airlines.
Maybe Lion air can start some Indonesian flights :-k

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 4, 2015, 8:09 am

the departure area marked "International" on the first floor seems to be used for Lion Air domestic departures..
Dave

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » January 4, 2015, 10:59 am

Dont forget a couple of years back there was Business Air that flew from Udon to South Korea.

Maybe a couple of routes in the future that would be good....
Lion Air......Udon to Bali a couple of times a week ??
Air Asia....Udon to Kuala Lumpur a couple of times a week ??

Just sayin' :-k
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » January 4, 2015, 11:16 am

Sounds marvellous Zid,although need to keep flights from Muslim countries to a minimum,only one mosque in Udonsville,could get crowded on fridays :-k
And do not remember seeing a Muslim prayer room at the airport,maybe the new terminal has already made plans =D>

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » January 4, 2015, 11:26 am

Happy New Year to you,pomps.
Bali wouldnt be a problem as its Hindu but share your concerns about Malaysia.
We wouldnt want hordes of single muslim men flying up to Udon at weekends just to sample the delights of Udon Day & Night and Nutty Park would we ? :yikes:
Tend to think theyll come no further north than Sungai Kolok or Hat Yai,though ? ;)

reddevil
udonmap.com

Post by reddevil » January 4, 2015, 11:37 am

Just seen something on Facebook Udon Thani Update Vietnam lo cost carrier to start flying to Udon this year.

It dose not say where to or when will start.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 4, 2015, 12:46 pm

reddevil wrote:Just seen something on Facebook Udon Thani Update Vietnam lo cost carrier to start flying to Udon this year.

It dose not say where to or when will start.
Yeah !! Apparently its going to be VietJet from HCMC to Udon..

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 4, 2015, 1:52 pm

Several Udon websites announcing future plans for Vietjet to operate in/out of Udon.....but nothing about an opening ceremony. According to the info at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... nline.html, an opening ceremony could be a treat!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 4, 2015, 2:30 pm

parrot wrote:Several Udon websites announcing future plans for Vietjet to operate in/out of Udon.....but nothing about an opening ceremony. According to the info at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... nline.html, an opening ceremony could be a treat!
Whoa !! Free Poh Pias & All ??????

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » January 4, 2015, 2:40 pm

I remember,a while back,this airline caused a stir with its scantily clad hostesses ! :love:
Some Udon expats may be tempted just to take the return flights without ever disembarking at Ho Chi Minh City !
After the flight the first port of call for the off duty airhostesses could be Udon Tap ........better sort out extra seating at your gaffe DM ! :D
Vietjet air hostesses.jpg
Vietjet airhostess.jpg
Vietjet cabin fever.jpg

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » January 4, 2015, 2:50 pm

Oh Buddha. You wouldn't see that at Heathrow. :D
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 4, 2015, 3:57 pm

Zidane wrote:I remember,a while back,this airline caused a stir with its scantily clad hostesses ! :love:
Some Udon expats may be tempted just to take the return flights without ever disembarking at Ho Chi Minh City !
After the flight the first port of call for the off duty airhostesses could be Udon Tap ........better sort out extra seating at your gaffe DM ! :D
Vietjet air hostesses.jpg
Vietjet airhostess.jpg
Vietjet cabin fever.jpg
Let Me know when you are going,Please Andy.....

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 4, 2015, 3:58 pm

GT93 wrote:Oh Buddha. You wouldn't see that at Heathrow. :D
Or Christchurch Or Wellington Hey GT... :lol:

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » January 4, 2015, 4:21 pm

Will Udonsville be ignored for international flights since Khon Kaen is getting a new terminal and new routes mentioned being Chiang Mai,Hat Yai and Krabi and other routes being Luang Prabang,Kun Ming,guang Zhou and Da Nang :-k
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -expansion

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » January 4, 2015, 4:47 pm

pomps wrote:Will Udonsville be ignored for international flights since Khon Kaen is getting a new terminal and new routes mentioned
Slightly off topic, not for first time......
Passed through KK many times but never stopped there.
How does it compare to UT is it bigger city, better airport, more facilities etc.

Wife seems hell bent that UT will boom in the new Asean market but could KK be a more realistic boom town.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 4, 2015, 5:02 pm

I have only stayed a couple of times in KK.
To me it seemed a very spread out city, with certainly nothing like the Complex centre of Udon being a centre point.
I guess that has advantages (not every place is fighting inflated rents to get in one place) & disadvantages (no real main attraction to entice visitors).
In that way, I found it very different to Udon, or really any other large town/city I had visited in Thailand.

I have never used the airport so can't comment about that. The increase in passengers quoted this year rather astonished me, especially when there has been another increase in Udon airport traffic as well...

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » January 4, 2015, 5:57 pm

Been a few times,KK airport is getting dated and the runway is limited in the sense that you cannot have a plane be ready for takeoff when another plane lands,not enough turns offs from the runway.It does have a multi storey carpark so plenty of parking but the airport itself is some way from KK itself.
Must admit the finishing date for all the work will not make it feasible for a couple of years so maybe Udonsville can take some of the routes in the meantime,once the old terminal is functioning,end of the year maybe :-k :^o :D

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » January 5, 2015, 5:23 am

Macca wrote:Last time I can remember any international flights from UTH was approx 6 years ago when Tiger Air flew to Singapore.
Last week took a flight to Bkk and noticed, for 1st time, a separate departure area for international flights. Well manned and appeared fully operational.
Return flight today and the 2 carousel are separated with a high wall. One for domestic and the other for international arrivals.

BUT.... neither at the airport or on the web can I see any information regards international flights.
Is this all about to change or is this just a set up for chartered flights?
Yes I used that flight also, they had a promotion where you had to buy your tickets through 7/11 and they were about 120THB

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » January 5, 2015, 9:04 am

GT93 wrote:Oh Buddha. You wouldn't see that at Heathrow. :D
The BA girls at Heathrow
Attachments
images (5).jpg
images (5).jpg (9.06 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”