Travel Insurance Advice

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
ZARguy
udonmap.com

Travel Insurance Advice

Post by ZARguy » February 17, 2015, 8:36 pm

I have been staying in Thailand since early December on a 60-day visa. I extended my stay and visa by 30 days to the 1st of March. However yesterday I realised I completely forgot to tell my bank that I was staying on so they could renew my travel insurance policy which lapsed last week.
They also told me that I could not take out new travel insurance (with them at least) if I was out of South Africa.

I have tickets with Nok Air to BKK and Qatar BKK to Cape Town, but opted not to take out insurance with them at the time of booking.
So it appears I will be uncovered by any insurance from now until I arrive in Cape Town on the 2nd March.
Note: The orginal Qatar ticket was paid by my credit card but when I extended my stay the new tickets extra costs was paid in cash, which might mean the basic insurance provided for credit card ticket purchases doesn't apply?

Any advice? Am I taking to big a risk to have no cover? Is it possible to take out travel insurance here? Is it worth approaching Nok Air and Qatar to include insurance? Problem is I can't do online payments with my card as the phone my bank is linked to for authorizations doesn't work in Thailand.

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Travel Insurance Advice

Post by ting_tong » February 17, 2015, 8:54 pm

most banks offer insurance, or you can contact BUPA directly

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Travel Insurance Advice

Post by jackspratt » February 17, 2015, 8:58 pm

I haven't bothered with travel insurance since the first couple of times I started traveling internationally in 1987 - I have saved a fortune.

If you can't get it as part of your credit card or bank perks, I wouldn't worry about it.

Macca
udonmap.com

Travel Insurance Advice

Post by Macca » February 17, 2015, 9:06 pm

As above

14 years of BUPA (current cost approx 13,000 baht) and 3 stitches in my left foot was all I ever needed.
9 days after the last policy ran out I have a ha
Heart attack and now they won't cover me as an existing customer, thanks guys.

However like so many things here it's a gamble and if the stuff hits the fan who is gonna clean up for you.

ZARguy
udonmap.com

Travel Insurance Advice

Post by ZARguy » February 19, 2015, 5:05 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
Actually I susepct I may still be covered. I was reading the info on my banks website and it says the TI policy is for either 90 or 120 days. All the fees given there are based on one or the other, and the degree of cover 3 options). I dont have the policy doc (lost my memory stick), but will try and get it emailed to read the fine print (yeah, I know one should do it before etc etc) and see if when taking it out and them asking for how long I want it, that supercedes the 60 days.

Even if my policy has lapsed I should still have some basic cover through the card but that doesn't cover lost baggage, which might be the most likely thing to happen! Otherwise I guess I may just take a chance as you say.

ZARguy
udonmap.com

Travel Insurance Advice

Post by ZARguy » February 21, 2015, 12:47 pm

Problem solved!
I didn't take no for an answer from my bank!
My Insurance Certificate said the Trip Duration was 1-90 days so I wrote and argued that since there was no difference in premium whether you were away 1 or 90 days they should cover me.
Well, they referred it to their admin section and approved the longer stay today with an endorsement.
Pays not to give up with red tape I guess!

GT93
udonmap.com

Travel Insurance Advice

Post by GT93 » February 21, 2015, 1:41 pm

I also don't bother with travel insurance when in Thailand. I might if I was going to be out and about a lot late at night on the roads at farang or Thai New Year. I also very rarely ride a motor scooter when in Thailand.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

ZARguy
udonmap.com

Travel Insurance Advice

Post by ZARguy » February 21, 2015, 6:46 pm

Yes.. I guess I am low risk - home most of the time, occasional trips by bus to Udon, no motorbike, walk or use Tuk Tuk's around here. But I thought, since I've paid for it they should cover me. And my baggage and computer stuff is covered if lost.
Interesting though to hear the concensus on here is no insurance.
Actiually I feel quite safe in Udon.
In Cape Town I would always be on the alert for unsavory characters near me, even at high end shopping centres.
Though things have deriorated there are honest people. I lost my wallet in a shopping centre, and phones my bank. They said it had been found and handed in already!

Return to “Travel & Transport”