How long does it take to drive to Bangkok Lumphini?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
msa
udonmap.com

Post by msa » March 3, 2015, 11:48 pm

When I come back home later this month, I have to go to Lumphini for business, and is thinking about driving there. For planning I need to know how long it takes to go from Udon ville to Lumphini in Bangkok (standard 90 km/h driving with breaks).

Thanks

/M

Don’t worry about tomorrow. Today is terrifying enough.
I never forget a face, but in your case I can do an exception.

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » March 4, 2015, 12:05 am

8.5 hrs with plenty of stops drove from Swampy to Nonsung
in January

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 4, 2015, 12:11 am

I drive to Bkk every 10 days and allow around 8 hours in normal day/traffic , the highways are in pretty good condition ...... alas if over a holiday weekend or other similar times double that and if poss avoid Sunday evenings as well as all the highway between Khorat , Saraburi and into Bkk are choked up with folks traveling back to Bkk after their weekend / Sunday break .
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

udonsmiles
udonmap.com

Post by udonsmiles » March 4, 2015, 3:50 am

I would leave myself 10 hours to be on the safe side even during the week. Got stuck a few times over the years driving to and from Bangkok, sat stationary for an hour or so. In December last year it took 7 hours from Phimai to Udon. On the other hand I have comfortably done the trip down to Bangkok in 8 hours more than a few times, so you pay your money and take a chance :-k

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 4, 2015, 8:51 am

Yes,I would say a minimum of 8 hours.
But,unless you really need to take your vehicle,its only 1 hours flight from Udon to Bangkok.....much less hassle.
Yesterday I booked a return flight at the end of this month with Lion Air for 1200 baht....cheaper than gasoline.

Just sayin' ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 4, 2015, 9:00 am

Did the the drive in January from Udon to Lumphini where I live, left at 4am, the drive took seven and a half hours, got off the toll on to Rama IV at Lumphini, it was an easy drive.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 4, 2015, 11:50 am

back during the Thai recession in 98 with few cars on the road, the Police having no radar and premium gasoline at around 13 baht to the liter I could drive my truck from Udon to Sarasin beside Lumpini Park in as good as 5 1/2 hours.. My last trip down to BKK in 2014 took nearly 7 hours keeping my speed down at around 100kph and getting heavy traffic on the Khorat ring road, through the mountains and then that last 100km to Bangkok on the highway...
Dave

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 4, 2015, 12:18 pm

You're talking about "the good old days" Frazee, when Hua Hin was 7.5 hrs and the Samui Ferry Port 13.5 hrs :lol:

If OP want's to stay below 90kph and have a couple of p.stops his ave speed will be well below 70kph for approx 600km

Anything less than 10 hrs will not give room for any slow moving traffic caused by roadworks or an accident at any point of the journey

Just shows how things have changed when you have to leave almost double the time that we did a few years back (not quite so many large potholes on the main road nowadays though)

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 4, 2015, 1:58 pm

Statto said.....You're talking about "the good old days" Frazee, when Hua Hin was 7.5 hrs and the Samui Ferry Port 13.5 hrs NO Fu***n Way did you do Udon to Hua-Hin in 7.5 hrs.....Never Statts !! Been on The Newcastle Brown AGAIN ??

msa
udonmap.com

Post by msa » March 4, 2015, 11:57 pm

Thank you to everyone who answered.

I will set10 hours for the trip. It's more importent to get there than to get there fast.

/M
Don’t worry about tomorrow. Today is terrifying enough.
I never forget a face, but in your case I can do an exception.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » March 5, 2015, 1:45 am

747man wrote: NO Fu***n Way ...
I think just "No Way" would have sufficed. Or if you really wanted to emphasise "no way" you could of said " absolutely no way" or " your talking bollokcs".
No need to use foul language 747 man.

OT............... \:D/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 5, 2015, 5:15 am

Sorry 747, you are right, it would have been Cha Am in those days. (2005?)
Left City Lodge at 22:50 after the footy and was waiting for breakfast at 06:20

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 5, 2015, 9:47 am

old-timer wrote:
747man wrote: NO Fu***n Way ...
I think just "No Way" would have sufficed. Or if you really wanted to emphasise "no way" you could of said " absolutely no way" or " your talking bollokcs".
No need to use foul language 747 man.

OT............... \:D/
Oh ! You mean just like yourself ......555...

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 5, 2015, 9:55 am

stattointhailand wrote:Sorry 747, you are right, it would have been Cha Am in those days. (2005?)
Left City Lodge at 22:50 after the footy and was waiting for breakfast at 06:20
No WAY Statts,I'm NOT Calling you a liar :^o :^o but from Udonsville to Cha-Am in under 7 1/2 Hours....What were yo driving in 2005 ( A Ferrari ?? )

The reason why I STILL Doubt it was I Drove from Nong Khai to Don Muang in 2001,Left Nongers at Midnight & Arrived in DM Around 06.30am,And I Thought I Was FAST in those days with NO Traffic almost ALL the way.....And Cha-Am is a further 170 kms or so [-X [-X As you know.............

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 5, 2015, 11:25 am

So you did about 630? km (NK - DM ) in 6.5 hrs and I did 750km (Udon - CA) in 7.5 hrs ..... strikes me we were doing virtually the same speed 747 .... 130ish??

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 5, 2015, 11:41 am

stattointhailand wrote:So you did about 630? km (NK - DM ) in 6.5 hrs and I did 750km (Udon - CA) in 7.5 hrs ..... strikes me we were doing virtually the same speed 747 .... 130ish??
I imagine there would have been a quantum leap in the quality of both the roads and vehicles between 2001 and 2005. :-k

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 5, 2015, 11:53 am

Fortuner arrived in 2005 Jack, and there didn't seem to be as many traffic lights back then, as I believe the vast majority on the main roads were switched off at night. It was also fairly rare to get a truck (or a bus) in the overtaking lane back then.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 5, 2015, 11:58 am

stattointhailand wrote:Fortuner arrived in 2005 Jack, and there didn't seem to be as many traffic lights back then, as I believe the vast majority on the main roads were switched off at night. It was also fairly rare to get a truck (or a bus) in the overtaking lane back then.
Good point Statts ...ive traveled over night and many traffic light intersections are on turned off and on amber flashing and the roads are considerably quieter , i recall an over night trip from Udon to Rama 9 taking just under just 7 hours .

By far the most dangerous aspects on the roads here especially at night are tour buses , poorly lit massively loaded Sugar cane trucks and their spillage on the road ...and drunks on motorbikes without lights .

DM

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 17, 2015, 12:42 am

Just a quick heads up reference the thread topic.

Just back from a trip Udon to Bkk the usual ... NOT ....heres some observations leading me to advise anyone travelling this route by road to allow a bit longer than the norm.

Huge amount of road works on the number 2 and 1 highways UD - KK - NR - Saraburi etc ... spoke to a lovely police amn in the usual service stop and was told all in progress road works must be finished for the Songkhran hols thats why all the roads busy ... we will see .

Huge amount of traffic in general ....... my guessimate is school hols just starting along with all the roadworks choking things up.

Huge amount of accidents ... counted 11 in total 2 serious with cars off the road or smashed others rear end shunts ... as is the norm on the South bound been an accident then another on the North bound same spot ..i think its called rubbernecking and taking your eyes off the road to have alook at the accident then finding yourself in one .

Related topic ....... why is it in Bkk it is the majority that wear motor sai helmets , infact i didnt see one rider without one on in Bangers ,,,yet in Korat , KK , MSK and of course Udon ... wearing a helmet is firmly in the minority ... is this due to the policing in Bangkok , lack of it in Isaan or the education / experience of the rider themselves not quite sure .

BTW Normally Ud to Bkk between 7 - 7.5 hours ... over 9 this time ... as i said just a heads up i aint no Jeremy Clarkson . :shock:

DM

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 17, 2015, 11:10 am

DM Said....
BTW Normally Ud to Bkk between 7 - 7.5 hours ... over 9 this time ... as i said just a heads up i aint no Jeremy Clarkson .

And heres me thinking you were a Re-Incarnated Graham Hill,Especially with that Beard....

Return to “Travel & Transport”