Posters not living in Udon

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 6, 2015, 12:50 pm

Hello fellow second class citizens

If you're not permanently living in Udon, you've probably read the occasional nonsense post suggesting you're a second class poster and shouldn't be a member of udonmap. So to fxck those suggestions, I thought I'd start a thread for posters not living in Udon. Let's share and discuss our thoughts on Udon here.

I see Earnest has recently been visiting Udon. For many of us this is probably one of the best times of the year. But we might also prefer living in farangland and just occasionally visiting Udon. We're aiming for the best of both worlds. Fire away ...

Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » March 6, 2015, 1:08 pm

.........I thought I'd start a thread for posters not living in Udon. Let's share and discuss our thoughts on Udon here.
I really don't qualify to post on this thread but does that mean that Jack Spratt, 747, Wayneor0, Ban Dung Dero, etc. etc. do? Or, did you mean Udon Thani province? Granted, I'm not sure who is permanent and who isn't.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 6, 2015, 1:14 pm

Strictly speaking I really meant Thailand but anyone can have a go. My hope is that the majority of posts are from farang in farangland sharing their experiences and dreams in respect of trips to or living in Udon. Posters living in Thailand but outside Udon city are also welcome to post. I hope it'll be the usual anarchic thread that most of us seem to enjoy ...

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » March 6, 2015, 1:29 pm

Don't matter if you live here Udon or not. Probably 90% members have been here for vacation at some point.
Maybe had good memories and miss Udon.. Some come and go. what ever.
Sometimes its handy to hear about back home anyway as one can lose contact with the real world.
Mai mee tahng !

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 6, 2015, 1:58 pm

Yes, may be posters who don't live in Udon enjoy Udon more than those living there. For over a month before I visit Udon, I start looking forward to the visit.

Most of the Thai bashers probably live in Udon and if they were honest wish they didn't. I have a bad case of Thai fever ... Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 6, 2015, 2:26 pm

GT93 wrote:Yes, may be posters who don't live in Udon enjoy Udon more than those living there. For over a month before I visit Udon, I start looking forward to the visit.

Most of the Thai bashers probably live in Udon and if they were honest wish they didn't. I have a bad case of Thai fever ... Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
Well why don't you move HERE GT, Then you can post to your hearts content on ANY Thread !!! :lol: :lol:

wayneor0
udonmap.com

Post by wayneor0 » March 6, 2015, 2:27 pm

ive lived in kumphawapi for 5 yrs but then last yr spent 7 mths in christchurch but posted little, i felt as i was out of thailand i wasnt entitled to say anything this is a thailand forum. i objected to being constantly rubbished by someone who lives on the other side of the world , this is a thailand forum

Martyn
udonmap.com

Post by Martyn » March 6, 2015, 2:34 pm

occasional nonsense post suggesting you're a second class poster and shouldn't be a member of udonmap
Who would know more about Udon Thani bars, restaurants, nightmarkets etc? Someone who lives in the boonies (nothing wrong with that) and visits the city once a month. Or a regular tourist visitor to Udon Thani who stays in the city 30-90 days a year.

As a three times a year visitor to Udon Thani with a 70/30 village/city residence, I'd like to ask fellow tourist visitors the following question to kickstart the thread.

What treats do you pack in your suitcase for your stay in Udon Thani/Thailand?

I always bring a big block of mature Cheddar cheese. Years ago I used to bring sausages and bacon but nowadays you can get good quality sausages and bacon at a decent price in Udon. I think cheese is way overpriced.

I remember years ago me and my mate landed in Bangkok with massive black puddings in our suitcases. Three each, about 15 inch long and over two inches in diameter. They were like small torpedos. We got stopped in a routine check at the Green Channel and they asked to X-ray are bags. This was at the time of big world terrorist security scares. I thought 'sh*t, what the f*ck is the machine going to make of the black puddings'. They X-rayed our suitcases and one of the customs officers looked at us and spoke in fairly decent English 'Thank you. Enjoy your stay in Thailand'. I don't reckon the machine could have been switched on.

Anyhow, what goodies do you bring from your home country to Thailand?

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » March 6, 2015, 2:46 pm

When I was working on the ships I would bring back an assortment of spices.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 6, 2015, 3:33 pm

747man wrote:
GT93 wrote:.
Well why don't you move HERE GT, Then you can post to your hearts content on ANY Thread !!! :lol: :lol:
Well, that's one of the big questions for this thread 747man. It could also be asked: "Why move to Udon (or Thailand)?"

I did live and work in Udon from 2002 to 2007 but I'm still way too young to retire. I have much more freedom in respect of work and seeking my fortune in farangland. I also think it's way easier to meet interesting people and to also have a more varied life in farangland.

When I left Udon I thought I'd eventually retire there but I even doubt that now. I'd like to live the NZ winters in Udon and the summers in NZ. I'd try and get the best of both worlds.

If I was going to live in Udon, I'd like to really improve my Thai. Perhaps study in one of the better Bangkok language schools for a year first. I'm well placed to make some gains there as in self study I got as far as the Benjawan Poomsan Becker Advanced Thai book 10 years ago and I can still easily read Thai around the intermediate book in her series. If living in Udon full-time, I'd way prefer to be able to suss things out better although I'm not unusually uncomfortable with the cultural differences in Thailand. I enjoy my experiences with Thai culture. It's getting easier and easier to interact with Thai culture in farangland.

Some or perhaps many of the posters living in Thailand have crossed the point where they can't make a successful return to farangland. A friend of mine in Bangkok got bored with not working after 5 years and returned to NZ to look for work. He was, of course, dreaming. If you're over 60 employers usually have little interest in you. I don't want to get stuck like that. It's OK if you've definitely retired but cripes many of us might live to 80 or 85 years old.

I really enjoy my visits to Udon. If anything I'd like a smaller place. Fortunately our house is outside the ring road and 500 metres from rice fields. Others will have different thoughts or stories ...

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » March 6, 2015, 4:47 pm

OT falls into the category of falangs posting and not living in Udon.
The way I see it Udon isn't going anywhere and if I decide to stop what I'm doing and live there I will. I lived in Udon for several years and ended up sitting in front of the TV on a Tuesday afternoon thinking what am I doing and what a waste of time when the rest of the world was at work or retired, and I'm not at retirement age.
Anyway nowadays I'm in Qatar earning a fortune and spending a fortune just the way I like it. Also the routine I'm in disciplines me which I need because I have no self discipline at all. I can go to Udon or anywhere else whenever I want so I don't really miss the place.
I am surprised that people that live in Udon don't want anyone else posting. I'm sure the majority of the members don't think like that.

OT............... \:D/

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » March 6, 2015, 5:08 pm

GT93 wrote:
747man wrote:
GT93 wrote:.
Well, that's one of the big questions for this thread 747man. It could also be asked: "Why move to Udon (or Thailand)?"

I did live and work in Udon from 2002 to 2007 but I'm still way too young to retire. I have much more freedom in respect of work and seeking my fortune in farangland. I also think it's way easier to meet interesting people and to also have a more varied life in farangland.

When I left Udon I thought I'd eventually retire there but I even doubt that now. I'd like to live the NZ winters in Udon and the summers in NZ. I'd try and get the best of both worlds.

If I was going to live in Udon, I'd like to really improve my Thai. Perhaps study in one of the better Bangkok language schools for a year first. I'm well placed to make some gains there as in self study I got as far as the Benjawan Poomsan Becker Advanced Thai book 10 years ago and I can still easily read Thai around the intermediate book in her series. If living in Udon full-time, I'd way prefer to be able to suss things out better although I'm not unusually uncomfortable with the cultural differences in Thailand. I enjoy my experiences with Thai culture. It's getting easier and easier to interact with Thai culture in farangland.

Some or perhaps many of the posters living in Thailand have crossed the point where they can't make a successful return to farangland. A friend of mine in Bangkok got bored with not working after 5 years and returned to NZ to look for work. He was, of course, dreaming. If you're over 60 employers usually have little interest in you. I don't want to get stuck like that. It's OK if you've definitely retired but cripes many of us might live to 80 or 85 years old.

I really enjoy my visits to Udon. If anything I'd like a smaller place. Fortunately our house is outside the ring road and 500 metres from rice fields. Others will have different thoughts or stories ...

I have given thought to visiting NZ when it's hot here. Thai for the most part isn't Thai the local language that's Issan, sort of a combination of Thai and Lao. Good luck on anyone teaching it to you. It's considered an inferior language.

It is difficult to keep busy in retirement even if you have money. All of a sudden you can do what you wish, defining what that is is harder then you think.

As far as posting on here far as I know no one cares where you live. You may have local knowledge questioned from time to time, Hell I been here 13 years and it has changed so much I don't know what's it like in the City,
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

novo58
udonmap.com

Post by novo58 » March 7, 2015, 8:51 am

I have been living in Udon Thani for just under 2 years now ........................so I still consider myself a noobie.

Personally , I dont care where posters live -----------------just so long as they dont relate their experiences from 5 -10 years ago as FACT.

I get very annoyed when a poster asks a question ( obviously wanting CURRENT , up to date info) and people respond with their experiences from 5-10 years ago . ITS NO LONGER RELEVANT. As we all know T I T after 1 month any info could be out of date.

The other pet hate I have on these types of forum ( though thankfully it doesnt happen too often on this forum) is when people enter into personal slagging matches with other posters. When I see 2 people posting back to back comments about/ to each other usually over differing personal opinions or beliefs. If you want to do that..............PM the other poster and have your spat in private.

RANT OVER

dazzz
udonmap.com

Post by dazzz » March 7, 2015, 7:04 pm

Very strange isn`t it. Somebody living in another country joining and posting every day on a forum where they do not live.
I stopped posting on here a while back because of the verbal abuse given to me , my wife, my country ,its leaders and my queen. Later i find out most if not all the abuse was from people not living in udon or even thailand which is why the give abuse a they cannot be collared( cowards). Prob would not be so abusive if they were living in udon.
Saying you are on here because you holiday here is a load of tosh. I go to cha amm ,suan son , laem sing and until the murders koh tao every year but have never felt the need to join any of their forums and even if i did for info would never comment on local or world events on their forums
. A lot of farangs in thailand are isolated and have nobody else to speak to from their own world which is why the forum exists . If you live in your own country , everybody speaks you language . you have lots of people to discuss things with unless of course you are a sad bastard and have no friends.
I think a lot of people on here are on lots of forums and it is their life which is why they post nearly every hour sometime 24 hours a day. Click their names and see how often they post and what times ,you will be surprised .I went home last time for 3 months and never read udon map as i was not here so i cannot understand anyone giving abuse to peoplethey have never met and lives in another country .
I suggest if you do not live here get off the forum and get a life.
dazzz
dazzz

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » March 7, 2015, 8:00 pm

The site is free to use and therefore heavily dependent on its sponsors.
Many of the sponsors either directly or indirectly target those not currently living here full time.

Without the sponsors and external posters there would be no UM, how would we survive?
Also, would it be so much fun if all we talked about was 90 day immigration, shopping tips and the price of beer.

wayneor0
udonmap.com

Post by wayneor0 » March 8, 2015, 1:45 pm

Macca wrote:The site is free to use and therefore heavily dependent on its sponsors.
Many of the sponsors either directly or indirectly target those not currently living here full time.

Without the sponsors and external posters there would be no UM, how would we survive?
Also, would it be so much fun if all we talked about was 90 day immigration, shopping tips and the price of beer.
of course, ty for reminding us of some very logical truths

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » March 8, 2015, 2:09 pm

I work and live in the UK with my wife and daughter I find this forum very helpful our bungalow and land is in Nonsung and until 2017 when I retire we will continue to come every year Please don't eliminate us

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » March 8, 2015, 2:18 pm

[background=][/background]
dazzz wrote:Very strange isn`t it. Somebody living in another country joining and posting every day on a forum where they do not live.
I stopped posting on here a while back because of the verbal abuse given to me , my wife, my country ,its leaders and my queen. Later i find out most if not all the abuse was from people not living in udon or even thailand which is why the give abuse a they cannot be collared( cowards). Prob would not be so abusive if they were living in udon.
Saying you are on here because you holiday here is a load of tosh. I go to cha amm ,suan son , laem sing and until the murders koh tao every year but have never felt the need to join any of their forums and even if i did for info would never comment on local or world events on their forums
. A lot of farangs in thailand are isolated and have nobody else to speak to from their own world which is why the forum exists . If you live in your own country , everybody speaks you language . you have lots of people to discuss things with unless of course you are a sad bastard and have no friends.
I think a lot of people on here are on lots of forums and it is their life which is why they post nearly every hour sometime 24 hours a day. Click their names and see how often they post and what times ,you will be surprised .I went home last time for 3 months and never read udon map as i was not here so i cannot understand anyone giving abuse to peoplethey have never met and lives in another country .
I suggest if you do not live here get off the forum and get a life.
dazzz
dazzz
How insulting.
OT posts here on Udon Map and doesn't live in Udon, but certainly isn't any of the things you describe for posters living abroad in your post. I post here because I like to hear about the goings on, my wife and children live in Udon, and I have friends that are members also living in Udon. I became a member when I was living in Udon full time and have just kept it going. Some members I have never met but through posting have become kind of friends.
If the members here on Udon Map don't want outsiders posting then I will stop.

OT............... \:D/

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 8, 2015, 2:52 pm

Keep posting OT and Valiant
Unless I am wrong there are no rules saying you must live in Udon
If there was such a rule would it be the city or the state line
Would we have to do a 90 day Udon map visa run

Martyn
udonmap.com

Post by Martyn » March 8, 2015, 3:17 pm

Surely one of the major objects of Udonmap, certainly for the sponsors, is to attract tourists to Udon Thani by way of promoting the good things about the city and province. I for one, living in the UK, have booked hotels and visited restaurants, bars and local attractions after reading reviews about them on this forum. I believe any city forum is as much for outsiders as it is for insiders. That of course is only my opinion.

Return to “Open Forum”