Phjilosophy a though provoking post hopefully.

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 8, 2015, 3:20 pm

True Philosophy…also a GOOD gossip rule !!

Socrates was reputed to hold knowledge in high esteem. One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher and said ‘ Socrates, do you know what I just heard about one of your students ? ’
‘ Hold on a minute ‘ Socrates replied. Before telling me anything, I’d like you to pass a little test. Its called the Triple Filter test.’
Triple filter ?

That’s right Socrates continued, before you talk to me about my student , it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you are going to say.
The first filter is TRUTH
Socrates : Have you made absolutely sure that what you you’re about to tell me is true ?
No the man said , actually I just heard about it and ……..
Socrates : Alright , so you don’t really know if it is true or not. Now lets try the second filter, The filter of GOODNESS.
Socrates ; Is what you are about to tell me about my student , something good ?
No on the contrary…….’
Socrates: So, you want to tell me something bad about him, but you’re not certain it is true. You may still pass the test though, because there is one filter left , the filter of USEFULNESS.
Socrates: Is what you want to tell me about my student, going to be useful to me ?
No, not really .
Well concluded Socrates, ‘ if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all.
That is why Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.

I think that we should use that filter system on some of our posts methinks.

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » April 8, 2015, 3:33 pm

A cracking footballer as well.
Attachments
socrates.jpg
socrates.jpg (8.92 KiB) Viewed 2205 times

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 8, 2015, 4:00 pm

So usefullness is the only requirement from that story
Truth and goodness out the window if something is usefull ????

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » April 8, 2015, 5:29 pm

Khun Paul wrote:True Philosophy…also a GOOD gossip rule !!

Socrates was reputed to hold knowledge in high esteem. One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher and said ‘ Socrates, do you know what I just heard about one of your students ? ’
‘ Hold on a minute ‘ Socrates replied. Before telling me anything, I’d like you to pass a little test. Its called the Triple Filter test.’
Triple filter ?

That’s right Socrates continued, before you talk to me about my student , it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you are going to say.
The first filter is TRUTH
Socrates : Have you made absolutely sure that what you you’re about to tell me is true ?
No the man said , actually I just heard about it and ……..
Socrates : Alright , so you don’t really know if it is true or not. Now lets try the second filter, The filter of GOODNESS.
Socrates ; Is what you are about to tell me about my student , something good ?
No on the contrary…….’
Socrates: So, you want to tell me something bad about him, but you’re not certain it is true. You may still pass the test though, because there is one filter left , the filter of USEFULNESS.
Socrates: Is what you want to tell me about my student, going to be useful to me ?
No, not really .
Well concluded Socrates, ‘ if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all.
That is why Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.

I think that we should use that filter system on some of our posts methinks.
KP
For reference purposes, I would appreciate the source from which the original text of your post was copied. Thanks.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 8, 2015, 5:38 pm

I believe that a sentence from the very end of the tale is missing..That is..
It also explains why he never found out that Plato was banging his wife.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 8, 2015, 5:38 pm

mathusalah80 wrote: KP
For reference purposes, I would appreciate the source from which the original text of your post was copied. Thanks.
I understand that Socrates dictated it to KP in person. :-"

:D

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » April 8, 2015, 5:48 pm

jackspratt wrote:
mathusalah80 wrote: KP
I understand that Socrates dictated it to KP in person. :-"

:D
And it appears you were on hand, to help with both the spelling and the punctuation, JS :-" ;) :lol:

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 8, 2015, 6:37 pm

Ok joke punctuation i get it, as for the last sentence get real
Source, this was sent to me in 2003, from my extremely well educated cousin , where he got it from I have no idea. He is a bit of a Classics scholar, I am sure when I see him next week he may remember but as he is 10 yrs older than me he may have forgotten.
If you search among classical sayings it may very well spring up. Sorry can't be more help I studied the classics but ceased at 16 yrs old.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 8, 2015, 6:42 pm

Ok, done a quick search, my story which i told had obviously been embellished previously. The one below is from the Quotes of Socrates himself

“One day, the old wise Socrates walks down the streets, when all of the sudden a man runs up to him "Socrates I have to tell you something about your friend who..."
"Hold up" Socrates interrupts him "About the story you're about to tell me, did you put it through the three sieves?"
"Three sieves?" The man asks "What three sieves?"
"Let's try it" Socrates says.
"The first sieve is the one of truth, did you examine what you were about to tell me if it is true?" Socrates asks.
"Well no, I just overheard it" The man says.
"Ah, well then you have used the second sieve, the sieve of good?" Socrates asks "Is it something good what you're about to tell me?"
"Ehm no, on the contrary" the man answers.
"Hmmm" The wise man says "Let's use the third sieve then, is it necessary to tell me what you're so exited about?"
"No not necessary" the man says.
"Well" Socrates says with a smile "If the story you're about to tell me isn't true, good or necessary, just forget it and don't bother me with it.”

Hope this placates the worriers and teaches the unbelievers.

old timer
udonmap.com

Post by old timer » April 8, 2015, 8:13 pm

Khun Paul wrote:If the story you're about to tell me isn't true, good or necessary,
Nowadays it's called talking bollokcs or bullsiht, and is widely spoken in Falang bars.

OT................ \:D/

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » April 8, 2015, 9:49 pm

And forums including this one.. More utter bollocks..!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 9, 2015, 12:04 am

Gotta agree ... some reet bollox on the Thai forums at the mo .......to which i add (sorry) ..

Now as a keen fillossofist and reader i can only assume you guys havent done your homework as Socrates was an attacking midfielder not a defender as most think .. his nickname "doctor" was cos he was also an MD .. as for any any other Socrates i cant comment tho i did know one in Frodingham rd Scunthorpe as he had a chippy down there and went out with my gran to Gala bingo most Thursdays ...cracking haddock n chips as well.

Disclaimer ....this post is in no way an advertisment for Gal Bingo , Socrates chippy or my gran :shock:
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

chewbacca
udonmap.com

Post by chewbacca » April 9, 2015, 1:02 am

Back when Han Solo & me went to school we had to enter a program Paideia which they said was Greek for "knowledge".

We had to listen to lectures about the Hittites, Machiaveli, Euclidian vs. Standard Geometry, Nature vs. Nurture, whatever.

Then we'd debate. Basically the most convincing or persuasive person would win. They never had to be correct really, -though somewhere in the rules it said they did. But like all good sheep everyone forgot about that part.

They called this the "Socratic Method". I called it B.S. I was happy to be the first one kicked out of this honours class "special program" and then kicked out of the school for cutting class. Then we met Luke Skywalker & well you know the rest. :badteeth:

What I mean is this: Critical Thought has unfortunately died off. It was a great idea. So good on KP for trying to bring it back. But there should be rules.

Rule 1: If you can't fookin spell you should not be proposing grand schemes of enlightenment or grand anything.

Rule 2: If you can't fookin spell you should not be proposing grand schemes of enlightenment or grand anything.
61078863.jpg
35glx9.jpg
35glx9.jpg (32.44 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 9, 2015, 5:14 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:Gotta agree ... some reet bollox on the Thai forums at the mo .......to which i add (sorry) ..

Now as a keen fillossofist and reader i can only assume you guys havent done your homework as Socrates was an attacking midfielder not a defender as most think .. his nickname "doctor" was cos he was also an MD .. as for any any other Socrates i cant comment tho i did know one in Frodingham rd Scunthorpe as he had a chippy down there and went out with my gran to Gala bingo most Thursdays ...cracking haddock n chips as well.

Disclaimer ....this post is in no way an advertisment for Gal Bingo , Socrates chippy or my gran :shock:

No, but as you said there is some reet bollox on Thai forums and you have added to that bollox.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 9, 2015, 12:17 pm

I only have two rules.

1 - My wife knows EVERYTHING.
2 - If you don't believe that, just ask her then refer back to rule number 1.

PS - If my wife were half as smart as she thinks she is, she would REALLY be something.

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » April 9, 2015, 4:30 pm

I think Socrates was saying most people talk bollox.

He also said "knowledge" was "remembering" what we already knew, or at least Plato said it on his behalf, the "divine forms" of which everything else is a copy, I think.

Return to “Open Forum”