Hospital Fees for Uninsured Thais

General Udon Thani topics only!
Paladin
udonmap.com

Post by Paladin » April 12, 2015, 9:20 pm

Can someone explain to me the Health System Benefits for Thai Citizens. I have heard about the 30 Baht, but what does this entitle for them, do they get operations and hospital stay free. My TW tells me that her Brother has to have an operation and has to pay 40,000 Baht. Is this true, I had the opinion that the Health system for uninsured Thais was free. The correct answer will be appreciated

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » April 12, 2015, 10:44 pm

Paladin wrote:Can someone explain to me the Health System Benefits for Thai Citizens. I have heard about the 30 Baht, but what does this entitle for them, do they get operations and hospital stay free. My TW tells me that her Brother has to have an operation and has to pay 40,000 Baht. Is this true, I had the opinion that the Health system for uninsured Thais was free. The correct answer will be appreciated
According to my Thai wife it is free unless he goes to a private hospital rather than a government hospital.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 12, 2015, 11:59 pm

My friend 2 years ago, sold land to cover the surgery in KK - Sirakarin Public Hospital, over 250,000 baht for removal of a cyst off her sisters lung. Wasn't able to be done in Udon - Public . Invasive Cardio Thoracic procedure etc

Another friend in BKK, using a BKK public hospital has being paying out a lot of baht for an ulcer on her conjunctiva. repeat consultations etc , all requiring payments. ( still ongoing )

Seems to indicate that surgery and procedures are not free from my friends presentations.

Perhaps some one can update on the status of Government employees as I think they actually get extra benefits in their salary package , which is also extended to direct family.

My understanding of the 30 baht scheme, was for basic consultations, then after that fees apply.

The surgery costs of relations etc has also been used against expats as a way of obtaining a cash donation as well.

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » April 13, 2015, 6:13 am

My wife and son get free treatment, but only within the district where we live.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 13, 2015, 7:01 am

So based on Kubitatims comment ..as soon as you get seriously ill or injured and need to be transfered to a regional centre, the costs then kick in.

Sort of discrimatory perhaps ?

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » April 13, 2015, 7:27 am

This is Thailand, seems that way.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 13, 2015, 7:35 am

Yes even though we live closer to Kud Chap hospital, have to take the family into Udon public as our address is Muaeng Udon
which maybe better anyway as has more services
Mama had a mini stroke 2 months ago and spent nearly a week in the stroke ward
no cost
but the after treatment had to go to clinic downtown cost
offhand 1000 first visit and then 300 for subsequent visits

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » April 13, 2015, 7:38 am

our daughter had years ago an urgent appendix operation , done in local government hospital (nonghan) , was 30 baht ..
as long as you are treated in government hospitals it should be free , as you want to go private clinics you pay more
logic i think ..and it can happen that the hospital is not equipped enough for the treatment, they will send you to one that is en it should be 30 baht also... ;)

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 13, 2015, 7:59 am

Kopei

My friend in Nong Khai. Then to Udon then to KK. Had to pay 250,000. Father was a govt employee at NK hospital...:(

Starting to ring bells now about registered ID address for Muang etc.

If your treated in BKK the hospital that treated you there was theoretically allowed to recover the charges against the registered Muang Clinic or Hospital. They screamed poverty in the first few months and refused to pay.

Thats when it went Nom up.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”