Udon Thani Festival

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
vincemunday
udonmap.com

Udon Thani Festival

Post by vincemunday » February 20, 2017, 4:00 pm

Yesterday I went to what my wife calls the Udon Thani Festival that's taking place on the large area by the city shrine, tessabarn and Chinese Temple. On the site there's a huge market, a funfair, agricultural displays and the odd food stall here and there, yes I'm being ironic. All said and done, we had a great time, they have a water buffalo there with the hugest horns I've ever seen and a small pond with floating containers that you can fish out and maybe win a car, a motorbike or some gold, all for a good cause, the Red Cross. I recommend a visit, we don't often get something as great as this here in Udon. The Festival is on until the 25th February.

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Thani Festival

Post by stattointhailand » February 20, 2017, 4:13 pm

Mrs is going all weak at the knees as some superstar is appearing tonight ....... not been this bad since D2B came up about 10 years ago :guitar: #-o :confused:

retired
udonmap.com

Post by retired » February 20, 2017, 4:23 pm

vincemunday wrote:Yesterday I went to what my wife calls the Udon Thani Festival that's taking place on the large area by the city shrine, tessabarn and Chinese Temple. On the site there's a huge market, a funfair, agricultural displays and the odd food stall here and there, yes I'm being ironic. All said and done, we had a great time, they have a water buffalo there with the hugest horns I've ever seen and a small pond with floating containers that you can fish out and maybe win a car, a motorbike or some gold, all for a good cause, the Red Cross. I recommend a visit, we don't often get something as great as this here in Udon. The Festival is on until the 25th February.
Its on every year known as the The Thung Sri Muang Festival its usually on during December. A good day out for sure.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 20, 2017, 4:25 pm

Oh a word of warning, don't eat the chicken doner kebabs, they're not so good.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 20, 2017, 8:11 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Mrs is going all weak at the knees as some superstar is appearing tonight ....... not been this bad since D2B came up about 10 years ago :guitar: #-o :confused:
Typical Thai planning ......... about 10 of them all going (arranged babysitters etc) and at 8pm they look and find out that the guy they all want see is on TOMORROW NIGHT :roll:

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » February 20, 2017, 8:43 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
stattointhailand wrote:Mrs is going all weak at the knees as some superstar is appearing tonight ....... not been this bad since D2B came up about 10 years ago :guitar: #-o :confused:
Typical Thai planning ......... about 10 of them all going (arranged babysitters etc) and at 8pm they look and find out that the guy they all want see is on TOMORROW NIGHT :roll:
Made me lol Statto.. tis true.. asked my Mrs if she wanted to go.. "Boring.. been for 40 years.. ".. didnt stop her asking last year when eyeing up a salla.. some wonderful wood product.. and I like to see the plants n trees for the garden I seem not to be getting in the near future.. if you need to stock up on plastic goods from china.. worth it.. but as Vince says.. take a missy on the chicky.. in fact.. prob dont eat there at all.. much bacteria imported from other regions and a serious lack of washing facilities.. to boldly poo where no man has poo'd before..

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 20, 2017, 11:16 pm

Liam Dale wrote:Made me lol Statto.. tis true.. asked my Mrs if she wanted to go.. "Boring.. been for 40 years.. "
So you didn't go, I gather.
Liam Dale wrote:take a missy on the chicky.. in fact.. prob dont eat there at all.. much bacteria imported from other regions and a serious lack of washing facilities.. to boldly poo where no man has poo'd before..
But if you didn't go, how do you know?

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » February 20, 2017, 11:40 pm

Udon Map wrote:
Liam Dale wrote:Made me lol Statto.. tis true.. asked my Mrs if she wanted to go.. "Boring.. been for 40 years.. "
So you didn't go, I gather.
Liam Dale wrote:take a missy on the chicky.. in fact.. prob dont eat there at all.. much bacteria imported from other regions and a serious lack of washing facilities.. to boldly poo where no man has poo'd before..
But if you didn't go, how do you know?
Based on 4 years of visit history.. and a day wander the other day after visa sorting. Nothing changes cept perhaps a sense of economic concern this year.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 21, 2017, 6:57 am

To be fair, I enjoyed the festival, I liked the agricultural display, loved the water buffalo, my little nephew Harry was amazed by all the lights and the rides and what's more we will be going back tonight but just me and the dear lady wife so we can look at the plants and trees for our bit of land. I understand all the concerns about the street food but I've eaten it for many years now and to be honest I've never been ill through it. In reality the only two times I've had a really bad stomach the causes were a sandwich from 7:11 and a salad from Sizzler. Yeah there's a lot of crap for sale but ditto most markets in the U.K. now, that's obviously what people want or they'd sell something else. I'd still say pop along and support it and yes even have something to eat, just not the chicken doner, it was nasty but it didn't make me ill.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » February 21, 2017, 7:18 am

Well somebody is going for sure, my wife is working on the Red Cross stand selling raffle tickets and they are taking an average in excess of 200,000 bht per night. In fact according to their facebook page they took a massive 700,000bht last weekend. The prizes on offer include 2 cars, 10 motor bikes, 30 bicycles, fridges, fans and many other desirable items. Every one wins something even if is just a packet of noodles, so get along there, try your luck, you never know and it's all for a good cause.All prizes were donated by the local business community.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 21, 2017, 8:08 am

What time does it open??
I do not want want to go in the evening once the concerts starts.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 21, 2017, 8:13 am

even though it's a work/schoolday tomorrow, the concerts wont start till about 11pm Bob .... TIT

probably also explains why there have been so many "incidents" over the years at the concerts [-X

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 21, 2017, 8:54 am

We were there until about 10pm on Sunday and there was no music at that time.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 21, 2017, 9:15 am

vincemunday wrote:We were there until about 10pm on Sunday and there was no music at that time.

Ah that must have been the night they had Morlam instead :lol:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » February 21, 2017, 1:37 pm

Gf has bought a heap of orchids. Not that i have any room for them at all

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 21, 2017, 1:48 pm

And you only need to mist them about 3 or 4 times every day wazza :lol:

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » February 21, 2017, 1:51 pm

wazza wrote:Gf has bought a heap of orchids. Not that i have any room for them at all

You could build a green house with your wine bottles. :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » February 21, 2017, 2:35 pm

Green Chang Bottles

Theres a thought

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 21, 2017, 3:23 pm

Sure there's a few on here that will give their time to help you empty some wazza :lol:

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 21, 2017, 9:08 pm

Well here's a shock! Down the end of one of the market lines there's a little stall selling lasagne at 50 baht a pot, admittedly it's not a huge portion but it's actually really, really nice. They have hand washing, they're lovely and clean and I wholly recommend their product, I've bought some for the freezer too. N.B. The Red Cross draw still have the same number of cycles, motor cycles and cars they had the other night, would you believe it? The people of Udon Thani are so unlucky!

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”