Udon Thani Forum
Facebook twitter Youtube Rss
Job Vacancy

  • Advertisement
Website design and promotion

Dual citizenship

Thailand laws, tips and advice.

Dual citizenship

Postby Jojje » February 29, 2008, 10:03 pm

Up to what age is it possible for a thai to have dual citizenship (or can they have it forever?)
User avatar
Jojje
udonmap.com
 
Posts: 57
Joined: August 2, 2005, 11:57 am
Location: STHLM-SWE/Udon Thani

Postby kevh » February 29, 2008, 10:28 pm

They can have it forever.
User avatar
kevh
udonmap.com
 
Posts: 232
Joined: July 5, 2005, 1:20 am
Location: Udon thani, yorkshire

Postby Snowden » March 1, 2008, 2:54 am

The answer depends on how the person acquired Thai citizenship, what age he is, and what actions he has taken. Generally, Thailand does not allow dual citizenship. A person who has Thai citizenship and changes his citizenship to that of another country generally loses his Thai citizenship (Citizenship Act of 2508, Section 22.) However, the loss of citizenship is not perfected until the person's name and status are published in the Government Gazette pursuant to Section 5.

As a practical matter, Thais maintain dual citizenship by leaving and entering Thailand on their Thai passport and entering and leaving the country of their other citizenship on that passport. As usual, the authorities look the other way and pretend not to notice, I guess it's good for business.
User avatar
Snowden
udonmap.com
 
Posts: 30
Joined: February 26, 2008, 7:48 pm

Postby papaguido » March 1, 2008, 8:54 am

Snowden wrote:The answer depends on how the person acquired Thai citizenship, what age he is, and what actions he has taken. Generally, Thailand does not allow dual citizenship. A person who has Thai citizenship and changes his citizenship to that of another country generally loses his Thai citizenship (Citizenship Act of 2508, Section 22.) However, the loss of citizenship is not perfected until the person's name and status are published in the Government Gazette pursuant to Section 5.

As a practical matter, Thais maintain dual citizenship by leaving and entering Thailand on their Thai passport and entering and leaving the country of their other citizenship on that passport. As usual, the authorities look the other way and pretend not to notice, I guess it's good for business.


OMGWTF...you make it sound impossible to have dual citizenship. Both my kids are dualies, it's not that big a deal. As for entering the country of either citizenship, duals are required to show both passports. It's procedure nothing to do with business or "looking the other way".
User avatar
papaguido
udonmap.com
 
Posts: 3638
Joined: July 5, 2005, 12:28 am
Location: Udon

Postby Snowden » March 3, 2008, 9:20 pm

papaguido wrote:
Snowden wrote:The answer depends on how the person acquired Thai citizenship, what age he is, and what actions he has taken. Generally, Thailand does not allow dual citizenship. A person who has Thai citizenship and changes his citizenship to that of another country generally loses his Thai citizenship (Citizenship Act of 2508, Section 22.) However, the loss of citizenship is not perfected until the person's name and status are published in the Government Gazette pursuant to Section 5.

As a practical matter, Thais maintain dual citizenship by leaving and entering Thailand on their Thai passport and entering and leaving the country of their other citizenship on that passport. As usual, the authorities look the other way and pretend not to notice, I guess it's good for business.


OMGWTF...you make it sound impossible to have dual citizenship. Both my kids are dualies, it's not that big a deal. As for entering the country of either citizenship, duals are required to show both passports. It's procedure nothing to do with business or "looking the other way".


I did not mean to imply that it is "impossible to have dual citizenship." I think I stated pretty clearly that Thais DO maintain dual citizenship although it is not allowed in Thailand. This is because there are not enough government officials to enforce the law. The government probably also does not mind that Thais go overseas to work and accumulate wealth, and then return to Thailand to spend it.

The fact that a rule is codified into law does not mean it is also enforced. The prior law (before it was amended) made explicit provisions for children who were born to foreign fathers and maintained dual citizenship. Such children were required to, in effect, choose either Thai citizenship or the foreign citizenship within one year of becoming 20 years old (the age of majority in Thailand). Now there is just the general provision which, as I have stated, is not enforced. If you want to see for yourself, you can go to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and it is right there.

In Thailand, you must use the same passport to exit and enter the country. So, for example, if you exit on your foreign passport, you must also enter on your foreign passport. If you exit on your foreign passport, you are not allowed to re-enter on your Thai passport.

I also have a couple of children with dual nationality. I once took both passports of one of my children to the immigration division in Bangkok to ask a question. Upon presenting both passports and explaining the question, she said "if you put the Thai passport away within 30 seconds I'll pretend I didn't see it." I put the Thai passport away and she pretended like she didn't see it.

It's referred to as a "dead letter law" meaning it is not enforced.
User avatar
Snowden
udonmap.com
 
Posts: 30
Joined: February 26, 2008, 7:48 pm

Postby aznyron » March 3, 2008, 11:42 pm

I have a question I have no knowledge of this and it does not affect me in any way but the question is if you have two passports and you enter assume it usa passport the states from thailand they stamp it to enter when you leave usa to enter thailand they stamp it to enter now I don't know how they could know unless you open your mouth & tell them
User avatar
aznyron
udonmap.com
 
Posts: 5090
Joined: November 4, 2006, 8:38 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Postby UdonExpat » March 4, 2008, 11:36 am

Well put Snowden.

My wife is a dual citizen. No need for the Thai government to know about her other citizenship. When she deals with Thai immigration control all they see is her Thai passport. No problem.
User avatar
UdonExpat
udonmap.com
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: June 9, 2007, 10:30 am
Location: 3rd rock from the sun

Postby bamboopaul » March 4, 2008, 11:44 am

My Son, Has British and Thai Passports, he is 1 year old.
Last year we all went to England, My Son does not need a visa, my Wife does (Thai National), we used his British Passport to check in for the flight and used his Thai Passport to exit the country. Upon arrival into England we used his British Passport without any problem whatsoever.

We did the same thing in reverse to return to Thailand, again no problems. We leave for England again later this Month, I do not envisage any problem.

One thing everyone on the forum might like to know, Is that the British Government are proposing a reduction in the time allowed on a Tourist Visa from 6 Months to 3 Months, although this has not been passed yet.
User avatar
bamboopaul
udonmap.com
 
Posts: 106
Joined: March 14, 2006, 9:22 am
Location: UDON THANI

Postby bamboopaul » March 4, 2008, 11:46 am

Incidentally Ron

The British Immigration does NOT stamp our own Passports on arrival or departure, unless of course you want them to for the 90 day rule.
User avatar
bamboopaul
udonmap.com
 
Posts: 106
Joined: March 14, 2006, 9:22 am
Location: UDON THANI

Postby gulfman » March 4, 2008, 8:30 pm

Bamboopaul, if you have one of the new British passports with the 'chip' (which everyone will eventually have) the immigration computer automatically logs you in and out, and keeps the record even when you renew your passport.
User avatar
gulfman
udonmap.com
 
Posts: 187
Joined: October 11, 2007, 6:13 pm
Location: Caribbean/Udon

Postby bamboopaul » March 4, 2008, 10:20 pm

Neither Myself or my wife have the new passport, my son does have the chip passport, but British Immigration did not even scan the passports, just wished my wife a pleasant stay in the Uk, I was most impressed !! :D
User avatar
bamboopaul
udonmap.com
 
Posts: 106
Joined: March 14, 2006, 9:22 am
Location: UDON THANI

Re: Dual citizenship

Postby Krukan » March 5, 2008, 10:47 pm

Jojje wrote:Up to what age is it possible for a thai to have dual citizenship (or can they have it forever?)


Zipdaow :shock:
My english sucks.
User avatar
Krukan
udonmap.com
 
Posts: 40
Joined: January 10, 2008, 8:15 pm
Location: From Sweden

Postby Aardvark » March 6, 2008, 11:29 am

I have both British and Australian Citizenship, i.e. Passports. In 2001 I left Oz on my Aussie passport and entered Thailand on my British, no problem. When leaving Phuket to go back to Oz the Lady scanned my passport and asked me if I had another passport cause she could not see how I'd entered the Country. Showed her the Brit one and she stamped them both. Upon arrival in Oz Immigration were quite concerned " if I had my legal quota of duty free " had only 2 litres so they stamped my passport and off I went. :D Priorities :D
User avatar
Aardvark
udonmap.com
 
Posts: 4817
Joined: March 5, 2007, 9:08 am
Location: Perth Australia and Udon

Dual citizenship

Postby jkomut » June 8, 2013, 2:26 am

Get the information direct from the source.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs Kingdom of Thailand
Thai Passport: Frequently Asked Questions.
http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1 ... ions-(FAQs).html

Can I apply for a Thai e-Passport if I am already holding a foreign Passport?
-Yes, if you are a Thai national, you may apply for a Thai e-Passport. However, many countries will not recognize dual citizenship. Therefore, you may be required to give up other nationalities before you can apply for a Passport from that country.

This appears to be the official policy. However, border crossings with small immigration staff might not be 100% sure about this policy. In 2011 I landed in Phuket from Singapore and handed in my US and Thai passport together. I always felt full disclosure is the best policy as I have nothing to hide. They made me wait while they made a phone call to Bangkok. Everything was cleared up in 30 minutes along with a sincere apology. I also received an ***** by the police to my taxi because they were concerned about my safety.
User avatar
jkomut
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: June 8, 2013, 2:13 am

Dual citizenship

Postby nee21 » August 9, 2013, 7:35 am

Some very helpful and interesting information posted here.I have one question. What nationality should be put on the child's birth certificate? I have read it should be Thai,otherwise You may face problems later.Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
User avatar
nee21
New Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: April 2, 2013, 5:09 pm

Next

Return to Thailand Law

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

  • Advertisement