Train - Bangkok to Udon Thani

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 3, 2011, 8:41 pm

I have friends who are planning a trip to UT (Ban Dung to be more specific) in March next year.

They are looking to travel overnight on the train (1st class sleeper), and have asked me do they need to book ahead, and if so how far?

writemotive
udonmap.com

Post by writemotive » August 3, 2011, 9:11 pm

Having done this myself, my answer is yes to booking early and as soon as they know their dates of travel. I am not sure if there is any restriction on how far off you can book, but I do know depending on demand/season these sleepers sell out. I also suggest traveling in 2s as this is the number of berths per compartment and will keep an inebriated nonpaying passenger (these are officials, employess, etc.) from entering and occupying your space during all hours of the night. BTW: I fly now:) Bon voyage!

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » August 4, 2011, 2:20 am

I've used the train a few times and recommend it. You can find Thailand train schedules, compartment choices, etc. on the internet. The one from Bangkok to Nong Khai goes through Udon Thani. I buy my ticket a few days ahead at a travel agency.

The schedule will provide the various choices of tickets. I usually choose the sleeping compartment and pay for one of the two beds. There is a small sink and free bottled water is provided, but no chair. Someone else could have paid for the second bed in the compartment but seldom do in my experience. If you pay for both beds in the sleeping conpartment it is less than paying twice for one bed. The second best choice IMO is a seat in the airconditioned compartment where at night the seats are converted to beds with a curtain which draws to provide privacy. Bedding and pillows are provided An overhead bed is pulled down so two facing seats provide two beds. This seating gives you the better opportunity to see the passing Thai scenery during your trip and is much cheaper than the private compartment. A group may prefer traveling seated on opposing seats rather than in compartments with two bunk beds.

The toilets are Asian style and somewhat grimy. I usually carry toilet paper with me in case of an empty dispenser surprise.

There is plenty of choices of food and drink in the railroad station. You will be offered beer or other drinks on the train at about double the usual price. Food is hawked by venders on the train. I usually cary my own snacks and buy a beer on the train.

I don't sleep on the train, probably because of the constaint swaying and the clicky-clack. You could say that by eliminating one night at a hotel you are saving money by taking the overnight train.

It goes without saying that the one hour flight to Udon Thani is the best way to travel though much more expensive.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 4, 2011, 6:37 am

I to,follow TJ's advice travelled many times on the overnight train, long time and arriving early in Bangkok ( 0600 approx ), arriving in Udon is not normally on time from Bangkok, so allow time for that.
The overnight sleeper is ok sleep not a problem, the 2nd class sleeper as described is ok , I tend to choose the lower bed as the upper one has little room to turn or anything else for that matter, also you can put your bags under your seat and keep an eye on them. You sometimes have to put up with the unwashed companion but not often.
Booking sleepers need longer time to book often full up to a week before, 2nd class more availability but you need to book in advance thats a fact.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » August 4, 2011, 8:02 am

I have a lot of Nong Khai-Bangkok experience with the train because I travel to my Chiropractor in Bangkok as needed and I need to lie down on my side.I take it mostly on this emergency basis,so there have been a few cases where I was unable to be accommodated as the seating was limited,but most of the time I am successful at the last minute,especially first class.It really depends on the tourist season ,Buddhist Holidays,election times etc.
If I was a traveler on a relative tight schedule,I would definitely take an airline,but if you are not terribly disturbed late arrivals,sometimes noisy ride,the train is the safest and best way,IMO,to make your trip.I would think 2-3 weeks ahead would give you what you are looking for.
When you are booking,try to get the middle of the car to relieve yourself of noise,especially 2nd class A/C(seating close as possible to #20 out of 40,14-26 are my parameters)because of the noise from those going through the door(banging and talking) and the lessening of motion.First class is not so bad for noise,and great for privacy,3x as expensive and ,unlike upper bunks in 2nd class(sleeping only),it is easy to access to and fro and enough room for movement.Water is provided in first class,but only a small bottle.I always bring my own TP food and drink!Also,first class A/C can get quite cold,so prepare for that.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » August 4, 2011, 10:22 am

I took the overnight to BKK First Class Sleeper for me and the wife a few months back. It was the worst travel experience of my life, and I will never take another train in Thailand. The tracks are in such bad repair that the motion throws you all over the bed, and added the horrible clakity clack of the uneven rails, it's impossible to get in a wink of sleep. The following day I suffered from Vertigo most of the morning and afternoon. The onboard toilet was a virtual overflowing septic tank having to stand in "God knows what" all over the floor. The train was two hours late into BKK. You'd think that after doing the trip daily for years, the conductor could get you there on perfect time, but TIT! For the next two days I felt like I had been beaten up in a gang fight. Take AirAsia for a few hundred baht more and enjoy the ride. Orient Thai has a promo now at 899 Baht one way. Check it out!

Bertie_Wooster
udonmap.com

Post by Bertie_Wooster » August 4, 2011, 11:31 am

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » August 4, 2011, 11:56 am

hahahahahahaha...your a Classic Semperfiguy...we will have to give you a Trophy for Most Unlucky Guy, or something...some mothers do have em.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » August 4, 2011, 12:36 pm

Did round trip 3 times about 2 years ago.

1st Class ticket was 1600 one-way, 2 stacked bunk bed closet w/ a/c. Fairly clean and a/c was kicking.
As stated before the bathrooms really suck, don't think they clean them.
Departed Udon around 2000, arrived BKK around 0830.......they advertise 0600 or was it 0700. But the 0830 arrival in BKK is the actual arrival time.
Return trip around 2100 departure from BKK w/ arrival in Udon around 1000.

Definitely a bumpy ride, but sleeping was a problem (beers).

No smoking, but you can go to the back of the train and light up.

They have food and drinks available, not recommended........bring your own food and bev.

Closet has a small sink, so you can brush your teeth and wash your face!!!

Like the timing as you arrive in BKK with enough time to check into your hotel and catch a few extra winks before hitting the bars. Same with return trip, Robinson open for shopping prior to returning to the villiage.

Note: Traffic can suck if you're coming from downtown BKK (worst if it's raining), and it might take a little longer to get to the train station..........plan accordingly. One trip took me almost 1 1/2 hours to get there from Nana Plaza area, yes it was raining.

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » August 4, 2011, 1:05 pm

Khun Paul wrote:the train is the safest and best way,IMO,to make your trip.
]
I'm surprised I always though planes were the safest form of transport :shock:
Sorry Paul it was a quote by Stan :?

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » August 4, 2011, 3:07 pm

maaka wrote:hahahahahahaha...your a Classic Semperfiguy...we will have to give you a Trophy for Most Unlucky Guy, or something...some mothers do have em.
Thanks maaka! Now I have a good excuse for being so unlucky...I can blame it on my deceased mother. Man that's a relief; I thought it was all my fault! But actually I don't attribute all of my bad experience to misfortune; it's simply the way I perceive things. It's difficult to be an obsessive-compulsive perfectionist in a country where chaos is the order of the day. If I had it to do all over again I would retire to the Philippines. I lived in Makati for 11 years once upon a time, and the chaos there is at least magically tolerable.

writemotive
udonmap.com

Post by writemotive » August 4, 2011, 3:46 pm

I agree with SFG, the train is a very distant third form of public transport, being behind, flying, and the VIP bus. I remember the romantic train rides in Europe, but you need more than imagination to make the Udon-Bangkok, or reverse anywhere near romantic. You can pass the time killing the 6-legged free riders who inhabit your compartment, or try your skill at not touching anything in the loo while in transit. All aboard...

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » August 4, 2011, 6:20 pm

lepidoptra wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:the train is the safest and best way,IMO,to make your trip.
]
I'm surprised I always though planes were the safest form of transport :shock:
Sorry Paul it was a quote by Stan :?
:lol: :lol: The best was a typo :lol: Probably should have qualified by saying,''for me and my back when it goes out. :lol: I never take buses anymore,as I have driven all around for a longtime and seen to many bus accidents or incidents,It was better when I was new and more ignorant :lol: Check in times,luggage costs,dealing with the airport,doesn't always make a one hour flight and enjoyable prop for me.
I agree with all the negative comments related to the train though,but I never have a problem sleeping if I have the right seating.Plus ,depending on my circumstances,I might take some sleeping aids 8-[

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 5, 2011, 11:46 am

Thanks for all your responses.

I have passed them on to the traveling couple.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » August 5, 2011, 1:28 pm

Hi,
Got to agree with Semperfiguy. Used the train a few years ago, will never use it again. Expensive, dirty, slow and noisey, and the bogs, uck. I might have been unlucky. Not much views in the dark either. If i am not flying back home, i now travel to BKK by bus, Udon Air. Reclining massage seats, a.c., and a meal plus a bottle of water in the price. T.V. but all in Thai. Costs 405B single to BKK from Udon, last time i travelled. Takes about six hours with a 30 min stop over to stretch your legs etc. Found the toilets were clean and passable. IMO. Only ever travelled with Udon Air bus, so don't know about others.
Cheers Doug.

thalenoi
udonmap.com

Post by thalenoi » August 5, 2011, 1:50 pm

Why use the train?

Book a few months in advance watching out for promotions with Air Asia or Nok.

I hold two tickets return Udon-Phuket 963B two pax, 1 bag 20kgs
I hold two returns Udon-Bangkok 764B two pax, no bags
One ticket one way Udon-Bangkok next week 1750B 20kg bag, no luck, no promotion, late purchase.
Just bought one return ticket for November, Udon-Bangkok 1983B 20kgs +30kgson the return leg, one pax.

Total expense 7.187B/19#flights/pax = 378B average/flight.

No way I'll ever spend a night in a bloody shaking train again :confused:

Even at 1k/flight I'd chose the plane above the train.

Correction:
On m y return late August booked Thai because landing Swampy 07am, next Air Asia 16.15, not going to hang around half day around airport or city to save 1k baht. No problem with heavy bags also, paid 1850 on Thai.
New total expense 9037/20=452 average flight price.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 5, 2011, 2:03 pm

Having read the comments from this thread, they have now decided to fly. :D

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » August 7, 2011, 12:46 am

The train is an experience.I did the 1st class sleeper thing.Was able to sleep,I don't know how.I did have sleeping pills.They do have a dining car,but the conductor wants to go get ya the food.

Return to “Travel & Transport”