Udon Thani Forum
Facebook twitter Youtube Rss

• Advertisement

Udon a cold weather disaster zone

Udon Thani news, views and comments

Postby phen » February 4, 2012, 2:45 pm

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... ster-zones

Can someone explain what the criteria are for a cold disaster?
I think at least people need a jacket or something.
phen
udonmap.com

Postby kjellsnell » February 4, 2012, 2:58 pm

In Thailand, they call a cool summer breezes for cooling catastrophe - at home in Sweden, it is played football in shorts today - the temperature range of -15 Celsius and this is called the common cold. To be called a cold disaster should be enough to reach a level below -35 degrees and I think that hardly affected Thai provinces even comes close!

But I understand why the Thai authorities will react and hopefully go in and help out all the old poor when night temperatures in some areas can drop to as low as + 5 degrees Celsius and it's cold enough for people to freeze to death if they do not have enough heaters or clothes to cover themselves with.
These days life seems pretty good and I eagerly look forward to the continuation!
kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Postby tutone » February 4, 2012, 6:47 pm

Anyone know how cold it has to be for someone to die from exposure? That would be the only scenario that I could imagine being called a "cold disaster" here in Thailand.
tutone
udonmap.com

Postby FrazeeDK » February 4, 2012, 10:49 pm

the article declared most of Issan a cold disaster area.. The Thai Meteorological website here: http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province.php?id=23 shows Udon with a low of 20C or so for the last week. Checking through the other Issan provinces it just doesn't look like a cold disaster at all.. For you Farenheight focused folks, 20C is 68F (see the C to F conversion chart here http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/conversion/tempconvert.html

cold weather info from the Canadaian experts: http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/cold_health.html from this article it appears that 16C is where physical affects from cold become more apparent..
Dave
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Postby Dudde » February 5, 2012, 8:19 am

Last year i recall a few days when it was realy cold. Same in 2009. Think it was down too 0 degres up in Chiang mai then if i don't remember wrong.
This year in the beginning of januari it was mild, not cold but no need for fan or AC in the house. Definetly needed a jacket when riding a bike at night.
Now it's no where near cold here in Udon, back home in Sweden in the south where my family lives it's -17 degres today and up in the north it has been as cold as -48 last night. Now that's cold!
Dudde
udonmap.com

Postby Ray.Charles » February 5, 2012, 9:53 am

More than once, I was in Sweden on the mid-summer night. Once in Luleo which I believe touches the Arctic Circle. It was fun to watch folks playing soccer in shorts at 12 midnight, in sunlight, of course.
But then I also ice-fished regularly on the Minnesota/Canada border, north of International Falls, the city with the claim of recording the lowest temperature in the continental U.S., that is excluding Alaska. Besides the Walleyes, the best fish that I have ever tasted was the large sign on the bank of the frozen lake "DANGER: Please take your seatbelts off" (!!). There is zero chance of colliding with another vehicle when driving on the lake, but nonzero chance of your car falling into the lake through sometimes thinned ice because of the water flow of a river beneath the icy surface. If you do go down, you do not want your seat belt get into the way of the rescue workers trying to pull you out before you are frozen
Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Postby douglas » February 5, 2012, 2:40 pm

Hi,
Dud. Yes it has been what is called cold in Udon. I think it was two years ago, an old man in the north of udon died from the cold. We're all right in our fancy houses, heaters and blankets, but some of these people, if there lucky, have only a sheet of tin, no blankets etc. It is good to see they are being thought of.
The night this old soul died i had recorded a low of 16.9C, about 62F on my weather station, for the outside temp. This year i have not had a reading as low as twenty.
To change C to F. muliply C by 9 divide by 5 and add 32. Was drummed into us at elementry school.
To change F. to C. Minus 32 and multiply by 5 and divide by 9.
Or press the F to C button on your weather station.
douglas
udonmap.com

Postby rick » February 6, 2012, 1:00 am

I wouldn't call it cold here in udon. There was a couple of nights when the temperature went below 15 degrees (e.g. Christmas Day) and I NEEDED a jacket that evening outside. In the bedroom, although only 1 layer of thin wooden planks in an old village house, only needed one blanket at night. During the day, by 10am has always been above 20 degrees this winter. It was colder in 2008 and 2009. I certainly never felt the urge to buy a heater.
rick
udonmap.com