Re: Filthy Looking Government Water

Post by mak » December 4, 2008, 11:32 am

Here we go again:

I'm gonna tell you a story
I'm gonna tell you about my town
I'm gonna tell you a big bad story, baby
Aww, it's all about my town

Yeah, down by Nong Prajak
Down by the banks of Nong Prajak (aw, that's what's happenin' baby)
That's where you will find me
Along with lovers, fuggers, and thieves (aw, but they're cool people)
Well I love that dirty water
Oh, Udon, you're my home( oh, you're the NumberOne place)

I love that dirty water

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 5, 2008, 8:11 am

The water main in town has been constantly updated over the past few years with the latest push stating about 12 months ago.
if one watches what goes on, I am not surprised that many have problems with the standard of water.
Complaing to the Water Coy ( govt owner) does have the desired effect. Living outside the ring road i do not have your problems but I do have 3 large tanks which I flush about every two months to clear away any sediment, allows three to four days for settling and the water is acceptable.
Many yeara ago i looked at filtration systems and to be honest I would have to live about 20 years ( not liable to happen) to justify the expense and the constant filter changes.
drinking water is only about 11 baht now a tank ( 20 litres), and with a stock of ten tanks costs only 110 per month after initial outlay of 1000 baht for the tanks. work that out as against cost of filters and installation and and.

But i suppose someone has to keep the filter coys in business. :D

BONES

Post by BONES » December 17, 2008, 6:16 am

Always good to install a good UV unit to kill 99.9% of the realy bad stuff, after all your other filters

ISSAN_NISSAN
udonmap.com
Location: Near the big tree past the light on the left opposite the 7-11

Post by ISSAN_NISSAN » December 25, 2008, 12:20 pm

Good information posted so far.

My question is:

Is there some type of filter system available in Udon that will just clean the tap water enough for showers and the washing machine? I do not want or need a filter system that cleans enough for drinking as I buy bottled water. Just some type of (In line) system that will remove most of the yuk. I would not want anything that restricts the water flow to much since the flow isn't that good to begin with.

Also if what is available, is it easy to install? I am not mechanically inclined.

Thanks so much for any info.

Hope you all are having a pleasant Christmas.

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » December 25, 2008, 6:06 pm

I've installed a single filter (clear plastic container so I can see the build-up) between my input line from the city and the water pump which supplies my house. I've been changing this particle filter monthly, which I feel is way too much, in order to have water clean enough to take a shower in and wash dishes. I have this same water going to a 3 stage filter (carbon, ceramic & resin) at my kitchen sink which I use for drinking, coffee, cooking, etc. Been doing this for several months and no one is sick so I guess it's OK.

ISSAN_NISSAN
udonmap.com
Location: Near the big tree past the light on the left opposite the 7-11

Post by ISSAN_NISSAN » December 25, 2008, 10:17 pm

Thank you Pakawala. That is what I was hoping to know.

Did you buy the Single Filter in Udon and if so do you remember what store and/or the name brand of the single filter you are using?

For now I just want to try the single filter for washing machine & showers. Maybe later next year I will upgrade to the carbon/ceramic/resin for the drinking aspect.

Also does the water company near Nong Pra Jak actually test a water sample that the public brings in and give you the results? I'm sure it isn't free, but I would love to know all the surprises in our water system here in Udon.

On second thought, maybe I really don't want to know all the surprises. :fryingpan: :fryingpan:

gulfman
udonmap.com

Post by gulfman » December 26, 2008, 12:05 am

wokkawombat wrote: I used water bought for 10 baht for a 25?? litre plastic container.

John

I'm with you Wokka, we buy at 10 baht per 25litres (delivered to the door) for drinking and cooking. At that price why would anyone want to bother with drinking government water?

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » December 26, 2008, 7:13 am

Issan-Nissan, I'm not positive but I believe I bought the single filter at Tool Pro, not that it's important. They seem to be available at most shops and I've seen them at the main store at Tesco's at the entryway sales are where all the vendors are set-up.

As for the water company, I haven't taken my sample there. Had planned to do so but when I took the sample, it looked absolutely clear and didn't have various 'items' floating around in it like previously. The filter is now brown again (originally white) so I guess I should take it to them along with my collection of nasty filters just to see their reaction. ;) Other forum members have indicated they will address your concerns, but no cost has been mentioned.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » December 26, 2008, 7:44 am

ISSAN_NISSAN wrote:Thank you Pakawala. That is what I was hoping to know.

Did you buy the Single Filter in Udon and if so do you remember what store and/or the name brand of the single filter you are using?
You can buy the single clear plastic filter at Global House, (well you could before they moved everything around) and also the replacement filters (also can get them at Tool Pro). My water looked like it came from a swamp, and a carbon filter would last one day. So went to a white 5 micron (390 baht) filter, which will last a couple of weeks.

About a month ago, the water was off, and I was told that they were cleaning something. Since then the water is fairly clean here, my dirty filter which was in need of changing, is still working, and when I fill a plastic water bottle, it now looks clean, before it was a brown color, which would settle to the bottom.

A few days ago, had a problem where the toilet was running, so took off the tank cover, and it had about and inch of brown stuff on the bottom. Have spent the last few days cleaning both toilet tanks, and so far looks clean.

Global House also has very large filter tanks, which have a back flush. Been thinking of buying one, but at 12k baht, wanted to see if someone else had tried them. They are filled with I guess a couple of 5 gallon containers of charcoal. Global House has 5 or 6 of these type of water filter systems, in the front of the store, just behind the checkouts. Prices run from 7k to 20k. I was looking at the black one, which is 12k, because it seemed easy to understand how it worked. Also someone reminded me, that for the Back Flush to work, it will need pressure! So another one of those piping mazes. :lol:

The 10 baht per 25litres (delivered to the door) water, we only use for food prep/cooking, for drinking find it lacking in taste.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » December 26, 2008, 10:29 am

When I came to live here permanently 2 yrs ago I brought a home test kit from the US. The kit contained various paper strips that were dipped in water to test for a variety of contaminants which came up negative except for mineral deposits. I believe that's the sediment I see in our toilets (tank & bowl). I also use the unfiltered water in our home for washing and bathing (brushing teeth) and have yet to experience any health issues, but lately have been considering a whole house water filtration it's just a matter of what type to get.

As for our drinking and cooking usage we have a counter top unit which has UV light and multi stage carbon block filter that far as I can tell has performed satisfactorily.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 26, 2008, 10:38 am

" find it lacking in taste"

Add some sediment for desired taste. ](*,)

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 26, 2008, 10:45 am

Some good information here for anyone interested.
Seems systems cost about US$400.

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water- ... n-need.htm

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » December 26, 2008, 11:00 am

out in paddy land, had deep well, water drinkable with no problem, but as a precaution, drinking and cooking water went thru a counter top (2000 baht) 2 stage filter, ceramic/charcoal, .3 or .03, which takes out basically everything, a 3 stage is usually just an addition of a sediment filter. in city, well, suburbia, ban nong kham, had bad well water, used bottle water for drinking, now have city water, crystal clear, but, fairly disgusting by itself as chlorine level is outrageously high at times, so as precaution and just for taste, back thru same countertop filter. all is good. use of 3 storage tanks and pump for pressure and back up when city decides, no water without warning, or if wanting water pressure more than my bladder can provide.

minimal water and electric, but you all keep building...................building code/planning, enforcement,
stop................too funny...............your killing me :frying pan: :frying pan: :frying pan: :frying pan:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 26, 2008, 7:45 pm

by gulfman on December 26, 2008, 12:05 am
I'm with you Wokka, we buy at 10 baht per 25litres (delivered to the door) for drinking and cooking. At that price why would anyone want to bother with drinking government water?

When we lived downtown, we bought the 25 litre bottles of water, until, one day, I saw soi dogs peeing on one of the bottles left out for the delivery man to pick up. I'd be surprised if the water companies sterilize the bottles. Having said that, I'll periodically partake of the table water put out at some of the soup stands. I just try not to think about that dog.

38nholding
udonmap.com

Post by 38nholding » December 26, 2008, 8:48 pm

We also just went through the 4 weeks or so of periodic dirty water situation. Saw the boys working on the 12 inch main heading out our way and you can imagine what went into that operation as far as "try not to get any dirt in the line " yeah right. But like the wife says "its free" mmm,free no water ,makes sense.
Now we have great clean water and super pressure . We no longer have to use our pump to get the water to the house. The neighbours were coming down to the pond next door to wash their dishes ,their children and themselves. So lets be a little grateful we have the means to deal with the dirty water we have.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”