Retirement Visas ( again)

General Udon Thani topics only!
arjay
udonmap.com

Retirement Visas ( again)

Post by arjay » March 21, 2006, 4:47 pm

I currently have a Retirement visa, but can anyone clarify, based on recent experience, if it is sufficient to stick the 800K in a Thai bank a/c and leave it there in order to satisfy subsequent/future year's requirements, or is it their contention that the 800K must be new money from outside Thailand each/every year? If the latter, is that just a local interpretation or Bangkok's policy?

I had previously understood that leaving it in the bank for future year's was quite Ok, assuming that you can demonstrate that you do have some spending money, but I believe I have more recently heard that they now want it to be new money each year.

It goes without saying that I realise one has to satisfy the other requirements too.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » March 21, 2006, 5:17 pm

need new money from a foreign source :!: I think the only way around this is by sending the same money back and forth, maybe a little expensive, even with higher interest rate. Heard that interest rates have gone up to 3% here in thailand. :D

aj
udonmap.com

Post by aj » March 21, 2006, 6:54 pm

Again different opinoions from different places . Bangkok recently told friends of mine they dont care where money comes from and that so long as it is deposited in Thai bank then once it has roved caN SEND MONEY BACK TO uK AND RESEND the next year. This can be done quite esasily using SWIFT ,whic works out to 20 quid for any amount sent . Or at least thats is what Nationwide charges . havinfg said that there are paople on this forum who say you have to show how money is spent each year etc. Its just my opinion but it seems to me that Bangkok is far easier on the way they interpret all these things.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » March 21, 2006, 10:26 pm

I am an American and I have lived here 6 years without leaving.I am on a retirement visa.Deposited over 800,000 in a Thai bank with a transfer from a bank in America when I retired here.Never used the money deposited until this year as I ATMed from America as I needed it and never had a problem.In fact,I was told, at the time of my application for the retirement visa,to not transfer the money back in forth as they looked for this.They want to know that the money you are living on is coming from outside the country as you can't work if you are on a retirement visa.

Last year I got a letter from the embassy stating that I had the qualified income monthly to qualify for the retirement visa.I renewed my visa with this letter and showed my Thai bank balance as only 300,000.I had no problems renewing in Bangkok.They kept the income statement,saying it is good for next year too.I will bring a copy anyway.

I don't know how it would work if I was to renew at a different Immigration office.Anyway ,this is my experience.Hope it is helpful!

aj
udonmap.com

Post by aj » March 22, 2006, 7:50 am

got my original retirment visa last year in the uK . just had to show show cash iun Uk bank . this year would have to show cash in Thailand if not for fact that I can show income instead. What bothers me is that if I just keep drawing on Uk funds through atm machine will they except that next year. Anyway going om holida to bangkok for a few weeks next month so will go and ask at imigration.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

What's right?? What's wrong??

Post by FrazeeDK » March 22, 2006, 7:08 pm

it appears from the postings that depending upon what Immigration Office you go to, what immigration officer you deal with, perhaps if it's raining, cloudy, hot, cool; Oh, just about anything could affect the current rules..

Geez... ain't they got a law?? It's all a bit confusing, mehn bo??
Dave

thalenoi
udonmap.com

Post by thalenoi » March 23, 2006, 9:49 am

I am on second year extension obtained in bangkok, show retirement income is over 800k/year certified by embassy and don't have that much in my bank account, wire sufficient funds to live here (say 500k) once a year, no problems

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”