Schooling in Udon Thani

General Udon Thani topics only!
dragonz
udonmap.com

Re: Schooling in Udon Thani

Post by dragonz » April 19, 2020, 9:33 am

GT93 wrote:
April 20, 2016, 3:32 pm
If western education and people are so clever and Thais are so stupid, then what the Thais achieve with language is absolutely amazing. Thais, even unsophisticated Thais, in farangland typically learn more than a bit of English, but a very high % of farang in Thailand can speak sod all Thai. Many might not be able to read a single word of Thai.

Thai-farang couples nearly always speak in English. Even if living in Thailand. Perhaps only extraordinarily stupid farang live with Thai women?

As for western education systems, I suggest some posters try employing staff in farangland. You might be surprised at the limits on the literacy and numeracy skills of products of farangland education systems. You can't even assume university graduates in farangland are semi-literate or numerate. That idea was abandoned long ago when the hoards of full fee paying international university students were permitted to enrol, pay high fees and graduate.
completely wrong on all accounts . Ability to learn a language is nothing to do with cleverness . Some can some can`t . I speak a little thai but find it hard but i learnt german with ease . Hard to learn a phonetic language.
Pretty ignorant and rude to say that only stupid farangs live with thai women !
My wife is a teacher for 40 years but if i show here something written in thai she has to study it for a long time before she knows what it says while i read your post in under a minute . written Thai is hard for thais .
I do not know why thai people esp teacher cannot count , know nothing about the world .They have no idea of general knowledge like the speed of light or how the earth sun and moon orbit each other . Even distance is a problem for them . I asked a few teachers how far a house was away from mine . about 60 metres i got answers up to 300 metres .They do not know hardly any capital cities of the world cannot do long division or any simple maths equations most of which i learnt by time i was 12 years old.
Stupid thais ? i do not know . very uneducated they most certainly are

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 19, 2020, 11:42 am

I had to ask myself, what am I educating my step Daughter for? Is it for her future or mine? And is it for her to get a good stable job in Thailand or is it for her to have the opportunity to work Overseas. :-k :-k

At age 15, she is now starting her last 3 years of High School and her English is basic to average, but slowly improving. She started learning English late. :oops:

So I have decided to let her do her last 3 years of School in Udon Thani and a reasonable school with her friends, rather than send her to Bangkok and also to combine it with some private tutoring at home in both Mathematics and English. I should say her Auntie selected the Udon Thani School, so I went with the flow, at this time. :confused: :confused:

The current thought is that after Udon School, she will then do a full time course in English (1 or 2 year course) at an Institution in either Singapore or Malaysia. I haven’t looked too far into this, yet, but I am sure there are course available.

At 19 or 20, she can then decide her next step in life, whether it be to continue studying overseas or come back to Thailand to study, whatever her choice and future Course is. Along the way I assume she will interact with other Thai and Asian students and so decide what she wants to do in life. It is not for me to decide on that, it is just for me to give her the education and understanding, so she make her own decision.

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

laksnrub
udonmap.com

Post by laksnrub » April 19, 2020, 4:14 pm

dragonz wrote:
April 19, 2020, 9:33 am
GT93 wrote:
April 20, 2016, 3:32 pm
If western education and people are so clever and Thais are so stupid, then what the Thais achieve with language is absolutely amazing. Thais, even unsophisticated Thais, in farangland typically learn more than a bit of English, but a very high % of farang in Thailand can speak sod all Thai. Many might not be able to read a single word of Thai.

Thai-farang couples nearly always speak in English. Even if living in Thailand. Perhaps only extraordinarily stupid farang live with Thai women?

As for western education systems, I suggest some posters try employing staff in farangland. You might be surprised at the limits on the literacy and numeracy skills of products of farangland education systems. You can't even assume university graduates in farangland are semi-literate or numerate. That idea was abandoned long ago when the hoards of full fee paying international university students were permitted to enrol, pay high fees and graduate.
completely wrong on all accounts . Ability to learn a language is nothing to do with cleverness . Some can some can`t . I speak a little thai but find it hard but i learnt german with ease . Hard to learn a phonetic language.
My wife is a teacher for 40 years but if i show here something written in thai she has to study it for a long time before she knows what it says while i read your post in under a minute . written Thai is hard for thais .
I do not know why thai people esp teacher cannot count , know nothing about the world .They have no idea of general knowledge like the speed of light or how the earth sun and moon orbit each other . Even distance is a problem for them . I asked a few teachers how far a house was away from mine . about 60 metres i got answers up to 300 metres .They do not know hardly any capital cities of the world cannot do long division or any simple maths equations most of which i learnt by time i was 12 years old.
I tend to agree with that, I wonder ifputting spacebetweenwordswillmakeiteasyforthaistoread, measurement I thought was natural, I ask many thai girls how big is a inch, or centirmetre, one girl held up her index finger and said first joint one inch, close enough
Quality is best done first

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 19, 2020, 4:37 pm

[/quote]
[/quote]

True in part, but just because one is poor in wealth, does not mean that they are not intelligent in their own way. Equally, just because someone doesn't know geographic locations, the laws of physics, how the universe works and or ancient history, does not mean that they are less smart than you. I doubt the laws of physics or workings of the universe are of much importance, to the Thai style of life. Neither one buys you a bottle of LEO. :lol: :lol: =;

As for the issue of Distance Measurement or a Map or asking them how much Time to get somewhere, it is not only a Thai think, I have seen it throughout Asia. It just doesn't seem to be important to them. Show a Thai taxi driver a Map and chances are he will hold it upside down, even if it is written in Thai. Its just the way they are. :lol: :lol:

As to why people think they are smarter or more intelligent than others, just because they had a different Curriculum at school is beyond me.

The world is full of "Wannabes Pantomaths", (stumbled across this word by accident). Apparently "Pantomath" describes a person believes that they know everything about everything and or someone who wants to know everything?? :lol: :lol:

Then there are those who have “Sophomania” (another word that I stumbled across ), describing a person who has the delusion of having superior intelligence?? :confused: :confused:

pipoz4444

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » April 20, 2020, 12:27 pm

Have you got your answer to your question now Tom?

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 20, 2020, 12:47 pm

Is intelligence measured by someone who has the ability to learn something parrot fashion , as in most western schools , or is it measured by someone who can adapt and overcome a problem , with ease .
Thais are very good at the later , ive seen builders , mechanics and farmers who are brilliant at problem solving , but not so hot on world geography .
As for learning languages , some are better than others depending on how your wired up .
Some favour one side of their brain which is good for learning a language , and some favour the other side , which is not .
Thais are definately not stupid by any stretch of the imagination , they just are not that worldly .
Different priorities if you like .

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 20, 2020, 8:21 pm

saint wrote:
April 20, 2020, 12:47 pm
Thais are very good at the later , ive seen builders , mechanics and farmers who are brilliant at problem solving , but not so hot on world geography .

Thais are definately not stupid by any stretch of the imagination , they just are not that worldly .
Different priorities if you like .
Possibly because at one time the ......did not want to encourage them to travel overseas, just in case they brought back some unwanted ideas, on how the country should be run :-k So why teach them about the outside world?

Mind you, there was a time in Australia where all be had was ............and no internet :lol:

World.jpg
pipoz4444

rct
udonmap.com

Schooling in Udon Thani

Post by rct » April 21, 2020, 4:34 pm

Thank you for the replies.

Greivous, am still digesting it all! 555

ICS told me they have 7 applicants already for 8th grade, plus some coming from outside Thailand and I imagine that means Laos and not London.

Udon Pitt has an IP program with around 300 students across 6 grade levels, I really would like to hear about that from parents, students, or teaches with experience there in that specific program.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”