A Real Dressing Down

General Udon Thani topics only!
warmeduque
udonmap.com

Re: A Real Dressing Down

Post by warmeduque » November 18, 2009, 7:37 am

Tilokarat wrote:Mr. Nicey is turning into Mr. Grumpy.

This is the guy who wants to travel around Asia and learn about local cultures.

You got to learn to R-E-S-P-E-C-T those local cultures too. Count, on your fingers, how many Thai males show up at the shopping centre in Udonthani shirtless. Try and understand what that tells you about local culture.
I love Thailand.
It looks that is not ok to go shirtless on shopping mall but to dress as a female is no problem.
I think they are right!!! :D

Hey ,i like the deal..as i was thinking to go shirtless,showing my disgusting beer belly gut but i will switch to be hairy ugly farang kathoey in high heels,stockings(no shirtless), so i will be politically correct.

Amazing Thailand...love to mutt :mrgreen:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 18, 2009, 7:44 am

I've said it before, and I will say it again: up to you na khap

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 18, 2009, 8:22 am

I agree with mrnicey since I have never heard a complaint from Thais about someone being shirtless as a violation of culture,except falang posters!There might be some Thais that are annoyed by it ,as there are some falangs,but that doesn't mean it is wrong!Just someone not conforming to ''proper etiquette'' in certain peoples minds!
I would notice it and feel it was different,maybe even out of place,but I certainly wouldn't see it as a violation of Thai culture!
Sometimes I think there are many falang living here that think all falang should try to cater to the whims and desires of every Thais thinking or belief system,to live here!That is rubbish,because it is an impossibility to start with!
I say ,pay attention to your own business,let the Thai authorities take care of theirs! :D

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 18, 2009, 8:31 am

Up to you think...

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 18, 2009, 7:06 pm

Particularly when you take into account Aa originally hails from your neck of the woods

Many Australians have hailed from England some by a circuitous route however below the belt it may have been, but no matter where you hail from originally or not, the comment was completely unwarranted. If one is going to call anyone anything other than a twit ( which is an acceptable saying) then a PM would do the trick you can then slag off each other ad infinitum, and WE don't see it . Point made bye.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 18, 2009, 7:31 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
Particularly when you take into account Aa originally hails from your neck of the woods

Many Australians have hailed from England some by a circuitous route however below the belt it may have been, but no matter where you hail from originally or not, the comment was completely unwarranted. If one is going to call anyone anything other than a twit ( which is an acceptable saying) then a PM would do the trick you can then slag off each other ad infinitum, and WE don't see it . Point made bye.
Once again, and unsurprisingly, you seem to have missed the point. :-s

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 18, 2009, 9:31 pm

Which was, being as I am obviously so stupid and you are my self imposed mentor..... :D

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » November 18, 2009, 10:24 pm

JS often makes an ass of himself whenever he appears. Not that I'm complaining.

Having said that ... most Aussie/Poms are horribly dissatisfied regardless of where they claim as home.

They won't be happy here either.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 19, 2009, 6:38 am

Jack,the critic!Self imposed mentor,perfect =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 19, 2009, 7:29 am

Texpat wrote:JS often makes an ass of himself whenever he appears. Not that I'm complaining.

Having said that ... most Aussie/Poms are horribly dissatisfied regardless of where they claim as home.

They won't be happy here either.
I would have thought the award for ass making (within the last week, at least) would have to go to whomever made a statement like this:
I was not amused. I know she probably thought she was being helpful, but wtf? I don't care for some slovenly old hag stranger to be groping my produce and sifting through my purchases.

It seriously gave me the creeps.

UNCLETOM

Post by UNCLETOM » November 20, 2009, 6:38 pm

red67 wrote:OR the ones in thier late 50,s who grow a grey ponytail and ride a pretend (chopper) sporting a fresh tattoo of a cobra or a scorpion on thier calf,usualy with a girl old enough to be thier daughter(whats all that about?) :( sad
I think you will find that the pony tail and chopper is mostly an American thing. The late fifties American likes to try and copy the film easy rider. What i don't understand is why some of the old western men are attracted to very young Thai women who look like 12 year old girls or even 12 year old boys, but the latter might be the attraction for them.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 21, 2009, 6:43 am

When I first ventured onto this site a few years ago now, I was somewhat surprised that on the whole most members were polite and seemed to be reasonably nice people, now it seems that on every occasion one or two members feel the need to critise quite verbally and often in very derogatory terms other members.
There are occasions when that can be funny, but lately it has has become tiresome and really not in the spirit of the site , as I was led to believe.
Now I have done my fair share I admit, but in reallity it is self defeating and puts the site in a bad light.
So my suggestion for what it is worth, that comments of a inflamatory and derogatory nature should be PM'd to the other person, thereby allowing us to view the post impartialy without having to troll through myriad caustic comments about other people.
Many will poo poo this idea, but it is only a suggestion.

Luis

Post by Luis » November 21, 2009, 9:22 am

Though not a "Member", an "UM Guru", much less "Part of the Furniture", I certainly second that!

As a newbie, I sometimes feel like I've stumbled into an old family spat, and yes, it is off-putting, all the name-calling (see earlier post above), naysaying, poo-poo-ing, and mudslinging.

This is a great site for learning about Thailand and all her ins, outs, ups, and downs, but it would be great if we didn't have to troll through all the caustic crap and personal tit for tats. I'm sure PMs are not as public or rewarding to some, but at least we don't have to see them, and filter through them.

I can handle the naked avatar (though I've had to explain it, and glad to see Hitler gone!) but will certainly migrate elsewhere if the puerile poo poo continues; which is to say, I second the motion!

Folks should have a whiff of spliff, or take a chill pill, or whatever it takes to mellow out and activate that world-famous sanuk - IMHO.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 21, 2009, 9:36 am

Surely you are not advocating illegal drug use in Thailand are you? That could lead to a number of serious problems for the user. In addition to all of you have stated, we must be responsible too.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » November 21, 2009, 6:17 pm

Hi Luis,

Khon Kaen.com is an interesting forum which is devoid of the character assassinations that are trotted out here on a very regular basis. The contributions on Khon Kaen forum are a pleasant change to the arscerbic responses you will read here. The khon Kaen forum will provide ample information regarding issan life and the people of the region

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » November 21, 2009, 7:48 pm

glad to see Hitler gone...................he must of had...............whiff of spliff
something wrong with Adolf rocking to Itzhak Perlman, or is endorsement of narcotic use more appropiate :-k :-k :-k :-k or is that a metaphor 'gone' .................. wasted dude............ :roll:

be careful what you wish for... :roll: 8)

agree, khon kaen forum does have much less debate/outspokeness, but also not very active, for being around a long time, and find some of the info not very detail or accurate. but have used it in the past, for couple recommendations. but after being to KK few times, find it useless now.
Forum Statistics
Forum Statistics Our users have posted 28,105 Posts in 3,164 Topics in 37 Forum(s)
Last Post; Today at 17:43 By n&g
We have 1,996 Forum Members
The Newest Forum Member is Sunbird
Active Users
Active Users In total there are 24 Active Users online, 16 Guest(s), 8 Member(s), 0 Anonymous Member(s)
Member(s) online: True Blue, parryhandy, Vicco, laphanphon, Stormin, Kill_Bill, Craig.Joy, davidthai

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 21, 2009, 8:04 pm

"arscerbic" - is that a play on my avatar :D

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » November 21, 2009, 8:10 pm

play on my avatar
not sure, but sounds like fun............ 8)

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » November 24, 2009, 5:47 pm

Remember if there is a particular poster that you detest reading comments from you can simply block them, and never view their opinions again, I have done to one member and it works a treat. We must understand there is only so much info we can share on these forums, and when people use it as their sole source of entertainment they're gonna have to go down the route of kicking up dirt, gossip, and name calling. I for one find most of the reading light entertainment.

Also bear-in-mind there are those that (I know 1st hand) only come on here when they're slaughtered, just to get some kicks, they then come back to visit the following day to see who they upset. B4 condemning a post take a look at what time it was posted, mind there are those that are slaughtered 24-7 so this idea may not help (lol)

Roger_udon

Post by Roger_udon » November 27, 2009, 6:39 pm

Reckon I’ll supply the “bookend” to this topic before it slides down the forum and off the page into the history of UM topics. (Although this post will pop it back up temporarily, I suppose.)

I didn’t realize I’d generate such a wide range and intensity of responses from my observations of a shirtless Westerner in the Charoen Sri Complex. But this forum has a wide variety of members and users, so I probably shouldn’t be all that surprised. After all, that’s what makes it an interesting place to browse from time to time, for me anyway.

In the end, I don’t think it was the shirtless bloke that provoked some folks so much, as much as someone else’s “take” on a cross-cultural “event”. The responses would have most likely been pretty much the same if I’d commented on someone smelling a jasmine garland before hanging it on the altar, or closing a door with their foot.

We’re all pretty strong-willed, independent-minded persons who’ve chosen to make our home here, and we all develop our own personal cultural coping mechanisms, cultural and behavioral analyses, and hard-earned attitudes towards our host culture and its people. Obviously, these are very important to us; in fact, they're critical to our day-to-day survival here.

So when someone comes along and expresses a reaction or viewpoint different from our own, we instinctively react, or even recoil. 'Wait a minute - that doesn’t jibe with my personal experience! That’s not the way it really is.'

Perfectly understandable, and I’m not offended by most of the negative reactions. I appreciate all the different opinions, the agreements and disagreements, the defenses and explanations. It just goes to show that we’re also a pretty darn thoughtful lot, and enjoy lively debate and discussion.

Given that we’re a virtual group that would probably never have come together in one place outside of cyberspace, it’s actually rather amazing we don’t clash – or show it! – more than we do. Red & Blue, Labour (or Liberal) & Conservative, rich & poor, clothed & shirtless, all enjoying a beer and a chat together. Where else but here could such a group possibly exist?

Finally, I would humbly submit that the proof is in the pudding. Really not meaning to be contentious, but at the ever-present risk of being so (unwittingly) nonetheless, I suggest: Why not pop over to the nearest mall or shopping center yourself, and simply take off your shirt and walk around for a bit.

Or if maybe you, like me, are too embarrassed to do so yourself, have a more presentable young man accompany you and do so. Observe the folks’ reactions – if any – and report back on how the experiment went. It may turn out that I’m a prude after all. And a dummy. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”