A Real Dressing Down

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Re: A Real Dressing Down

Post by parrot » November 27, 2009, 8:31 pm

"smelling a jasmine garland before hanging it on the altar"
Oh Oh, I smell trouble (no pun intended). I do this all the time...........is this one of those 'to avoid' things?

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » November 27, 2009, 10:18 pm

Why not pop over to the nearest mall or shopping center yourself, and simply take off your shirt and walk around for a bit.

The rteason why many of us wold not even consider such an option is probably because living here we have learnt to respect the Thai attitude to scantily clothed bodies especially sweaty unkempt farangs that seem to think it is ok to do so.

It is the one thing that could be put in udon map on cultural differences, walking around in that fashion is not really acceptable in a shopping mall on the beach OK but not in shops.

Marlowe
udonmap.com

Post by Marlowe » November 28, 2009, 5:53 am

You gotta ask yourself, parrot, who is that fragrance meant for? You? Or someone else? Maybe Rama V?

You probably wouldn't take a sip of the water - or whisky if you offer it - before placing it on the altar, right?

Same for the flowers. But for many Westerners, the smell is invisble, so doesn't matter. But...invisible things matter a great deal here! Often more than the merely visible.

It's the intention, and the act. The presentation, and the delivery.

MPR. I learned the hard way as well; that's how we learn, right?

Hopefully.

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » November 28, 2009, 7:03 am

Roger-udon,,,,,,,,, for what it's worth,,,,,, I'm with you on this. IMHO,,, this is an example of the cancer that pervades western civilization, political correctness. Don't rock the boat, don't express any opinion that could possible be construed as judgemental, anything goes. All of the liberal "live and let live" crew come out of the woodwork to defend those individual's rights to say, act or behave as they desire. No matter of common courtesy or consideration. The need for societies to have standards to smooth the rough edges, enabling people to live in close proximity to each other, has historically proven it's worth. The islands of England and Japan come to my mind as examples of societies that have/had an extensive "code of conduct" and politeness that enabled them to live together. Some comments by Brits in recent years state their opinion that has become a frayed standard there. Since I haven't been there in years, I couldn't say. I'm sure this will elicit a swift and sure response from the "anything goes crowd". Cheers,,,LL

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 28, 2009, 7:46 am

A swift and sure response. Bang on LL. When that cancer comes from the top how do we expect the younger generation to behave ? Children from the day they are born need a role model. If parents neglect that guidance or even worse, provide the wrong sort, then,as the bible say's :You will reap what you sew" I'm not a religous person but how right that is . :-k

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 28, 2009, 8:15 am

Roger_udon,I think you said it well and hit the nail on the head!

Anything out of the norm,for the observers,creates a reaction!The reaction depends on who the observers are and their ''norm' or preferences!

I also think that many Westerners that have negative reactions to Western displays of behavior, they deem negative,are quick to defend their preference choice by claiming it is ''insult'' to all Thais and Thailand rather than just state their own reaction as their own preference! I suppose it has to do with their belief that this is true,and ,but most important,that it will effect how Thais see them through transference,as their other belief is that Thais see all falangs as the same and will now not respect him as much as he thinks they should or do!

I personally think it looks like ---- ,and I imagine many Thais might think the same!But I would never consider imposing my feelings ,thought or will on that person,as it is not my business and whether or not it is insulting to Thais,is not justification for me to take such action!

If it is insulting to the Thais,they have the means to address it,especially through the agencies like the Tourist Police and their volunteers!Some might say that the Thais are to polite to say anything!I don't subscribe to that thought either as I have seen Thais be very impolite when something really offends them!If it is an insult to them,it is their responsibility to deal with it,NOT some Western stranger!

All that said,I think it is great to have a forum to express our preferences,opinions and ideas on this and any other subject that gains our attention! =D>

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » November 28, 2009, 6:25 pm

What annoys some here is the occasional farang attitude that, "I'm on vacation and therefore feel the need to take my shirt off cause it's warm out and sunshiney and you little brown fu@kers can kiss my arse, cause I'm English and I paid a lot of money to get here so just fook off!"

You know it, you've seen it, you've shaken your head in disbelief at it.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 28, 2009, 6:48 pm

Texpat wrote:cause I'm English and I paid a lot of money to get here so just fook off!"

Yes, also because they are Welsh, Irish, Scots, Americans, Germans, Australians, whateveryoulikeians.
I think your prejudices are starting to show as much as the the 'Gentleman' you quote above Texpat.... :(

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » November 28, 2009, 7:45 pm

So you've seen it too then, eh Bob? Shocking, innit? :oops:

homer
udonmap.com

Post by homer » November 29, 2009, 3:54 am

Texpat wrote:What annoys some here is the occasional farang attitude that, "I'm on vacation and therefore feel the need to take my shirt off cause it's warm out and sunshiney and you little brown fu@kers can kiss my arse, cause I'm English and I paid a lot of money to get here so just fook off!"

I'm with you 100% on this one Texpat! One of the things that attracted me so much about Thailand is there more conservative approach to things like public nudity in addition to other things. I've always tried to put my best foot forward when it comes to showing respect for the beliefs, and culture of the Thais, and it bothers the hell out of me when I see farangs show such a blatant disregard for these things. Whether we've been here for 30 years or 30 minutes, we are still guests in this country and should act accordingly.

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » November 29, 2009, 6:33 am

I've always tried to put my best foot forward when it comes to showing respect for the beliefs, and culture of the Thais, and it bothers the hell out of me when I see farangs show such a blatant disregard for these things. Whether we've been here for 30 years or 30 minutes, we are still guests in this country and should act accordingly.

Hear Hear and well said , being a westerner who has scant regard for foreigners who seem to think anything goes, it does behove me to say ' When in Rome' etc. Just because Thais on the whole do not complain verbally at the time it is the impression we give that counts of that I am sure. Oh yes we have the Tourist Police and other agencies to deal with the problem but in all honesty. such a big stick for a minor infraction, when education would be better. I did have the occasion to mention to a foreigner about his stadards recently in a very polite way, in a drunken bleary eyed response at 10-o-clock in the morning I was told to F*** off. So I say no more on the subject, suffice to say that wherever he walked in Big 'C' ,Thais avoided him like the plague it is those standards that many Thais remember us by, not the sensible ones.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 29, 2009, 7:37 pm

Woith reference to my last post, i was amazed to see I had been logged in as Guns482, it is still me KP sorry for any misinformation.

mrnicey1966
udonmap.com

Post by mrnicey1966 » December 1, 2009, 2:42 am

in olden days men would wear suits on the beach and ladies would cover up every inch of their bodies , it sounds like some of you still live in that era

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 1, 2009, 3:31 am

I think we're talking about strolling around the shopping mall -- not at a beach. :-s

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”