Udonmap people

General Udon Thani topics only!
Stef
udonmap.com

Udonmap people

Post by Stef » December 2, 2009, 9:30 am

I'm sorry but someone has to say something.

It seems the more I talk with people around Udon a similar opinion is shared. There are a lot of people that read read Udonmap but never post, and the reason is always the same, then there are those that won't even read it but again for the same reason "to many self-righteous, over-opinionated, sad, know-it-alls that need to get out more.

So what's my purpose in writing this hateful thread?
I think these people (yes those with 3000+ postings) think they are doing a good service for Udon Thani, spouting off in every topic, their opinions, their advice. Ask yourself - can you really have valuable information on every subject? Those that post so much will say YES, that's because they have a high opinion of themselves, but the real and only true answer for those living in the real world is NO.

The truth is these (3000+) people are doing Udon Thani an in-just service, because it seems to many down-to-earth, intelligent, living-in-the-real-world type people either shy away from writing, or worst, won't even read Udonmap, because it's full of nonsense and over-opinionated idiots.

Now let me second guess all you nuttters who can't even read to the bottom of this post 'cos your finger is twitching to hit the reply button. You don't need to check out how many posts you have made to see if you're in the clear, my 3000+ is just a ball-park figure, we've just lost one nutter who's life was obviously built around udonmap, he's now on another forum and in 6 weeks he's posted 200 times, he's most definately not in the clear.

So lets see if this works, something tells me it won't. If you're a nutter who lives for posting on Udonmap, your views are not welcome here, this is my thread, and I don't want to hear what you have to say. This thread is for those that rarely post and are annoyed by your over-opinionated, know-it-all,time-wasting posts. I want to hear what their views are on YOU! My purpose is to see if there are some clever guys out there with sensible information to share, but don't get involved because of the rants of all the idiots posting.

NOW DID YOU GET TO THE BOTTOM WITHOUT THAT FINGER TWITCHING?????????

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Udonmap people

Post by jackspratt » December 2, 2009, 9:50 am

I am sorry too Stef, but this is a public forum, and I am not sure that you or anyone else has the ability to reserve a thread.

Of course you are welcome to your opinions on any subject, and have the choice whether or not to read posts by the "over-opinionated", the "nutters" and the "idiots" - just click on the control panel, and go to friends & foes.

BTW, I would reckon by your use of those pejoratives, you have just plonked yourself into the highly opinionated category :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 2, 2009, 10:55 am

I also find your post rather odd Stef & to only base an opinion of someone only on the number of post some one makes is I believe a little shallow.
I am well over your 3000+ limit & not the least embarrassed by it. :D Am I opinionated....too true I am, especially about certain things like sport - but have you ever tried to hold a conversation with some one with no opinions, not too fulfilling.
Have my post ever stopped anyone else posting? Maybe, but I hope only if they were going to post something inappropriate & certainly not because they had a genuine question or comment.
Are you suggesting that if someone asks where they can buy XXXX & I know that I should not answer?? Or is it only my opinion that I can no longer offer??
Personally I think that different people use the forum for different things.
Some people join with absolutely no intention of ever posting, just for a read.
Some people join just to ask a specific question, ask it, get an answer & may never post again.
Some are Trolls.
After reading many Forums I actually believe that UdonMap is actually quite good at striking the balance between allowing a lively debate to take place without allowing the personal abuse that many forums not only allow, but seem to encourage.

Stef
udonmap.com

Post by Stef » December 2, 2009, 11:02 am

MM! I'm a member of nearly 2 yrs with 27 no sorry make that 28 posts, so I'm hardly over-opinionated, just letting off some steam, and trying to weed out some guys that shy away cos' of the nonsense speeled by just a handful who love to hijack every thread and claim to be professors of Udon Thani, when in reality they barely know their way out of their front gardens.

As I said your opinion isn't welcome, but I knew you would post and I'm sure many more of you finger twitching idiots will, I did say it probably won't work, but if I can just dig out one sensible guy hanging in the side lines, and get 1 nutter to adjust his life style so that he actually lives in Thailand rather than a 150m square concrete cell, then I'll feel like I have achieved something.

Come on guys don't be shy, I know there are many of you that agree with me, don't be afraid to say what you think,these idiots have hijacked this site long enough.

Stef
udonmap.com

Post by Stef » December 2, 2009, 11:08 am

"Personally I think that different people use the forum for different things"
Bob if only this were true, I wouldn't have needed to start this thread, this my point exactly, the people that hijack this forum are all the same.

But 1 thought has just come to mind, there are certain people out there, who are wheelchair bound and so the forum is their main tool for entertainment and keeping in touch with the goings on, I do not wish to offend these guys, and I am sorry if my first post offended you.

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » December 2, 2009, 11:40 am

Hi,

Well I'm a long time member with only minimal posts. I was trying to think why that is. I do enjoy reading others posts and if I feel I have something to say or can add something positive to a discussion, I will. Also if I can help someone out with any advice I'll post. Apart from that I have a look at Udonmap most days, but never feel compelled to post, especialy if it's something I know nothing about.

Re others posts - I have no problem with people posting heaps of things - it just all adds to the liveliness of the forum, keeps the banter going and along with that the contact between people which is important. It's great to meet people in the flesh for a beer or game of pool every now and again after you've met on the forum. If the forum wasn't so lively, we'd all be moaning about it and how useless it is, so really, the more the merrier! It's great to have a good forum - think about what i would be like with a dead one!

Perhaps people have a great deal of time to whittle away and so can spend a lot of time on the net, posting on Udonmap. There's nothing wrong with that - there are a lot of people who are retired and enjoy the social aspect. Plus if you live in Udon for any length of time, you realise that sometimes you just want to stop speaking in broken English or Thai, and want to converse in real English (substitute your native language for English). That's normally when I head for a beer and a game of pool!

Cheers
Phil

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » December 2, 2009, 12:14 pm

As has been covered, people have different reasons for subscribing and responding to threads. It would an interesting exercise to identify the age brackets of the members as compared to the number of responses. Further, determine if retired or still working and if living in a rural thai community with limited conversational contact with other falang.

Some of those who actively respond (3,000 plus) may have limited physical movement and use this forum to communicate, others may be happy to watch life go by rather than live it the fullest extent and use this forum to espouse their wide ranging views of the world and the challenges that we face on a day to day basis.

Of concern up until recently, has been the willingness of some contributors to do a hatchet job on other members. In times gone by we were taught as children that if we didn't have something positive to say then don't say anything. We were further taught that if you haven't the confidence to say something negative directly to a person's face, then don't say anything. Have some of our members chosen the relative anonymity of the internet to vent their own personal life frustrations out on other members to reinforce their glass is half empty approach to life.

Marlowe
udonmap.com

Post by Marlowe » December 2, 2009, 1:08 pm

Up until recently... So (hopefully) this is all moot!

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 2, 2009, 1:39 pm

The OP's location is listed as England.

Is there ANYTHING these wheezebags won't whine about? :D

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 2, 2009, 2:30 pm

Stef wrote:
"So what's my purpose in writing this hateful thread?"
"self-righteous, over-opinionated"
"over-opinionated idiots"
"I'm hardly over-opinionated"
"As I said your opinion isn't welcome"
"these idiots have hijacked this site long enough"
"there are certain people out there, who are wheelchair bound and so the forum is their main tool for entertainmen"

You've explained yourself perfectly well, Stef!

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » December 2, 2009, 3:09 pm

Texpat wrote:The OP's location is listed as England.

Is there ANYTHING these wheezebags won't whine about? :D
Tex I am English and I think the posters location has absolutely nothing to do with its content . I actually dismissed it as a load of cobblers not even worthy of a reply . Much the same as I do when people tell me all Texans wear big hats. :lol:
Do they? :lol:

Luis

Post by Luis » December 2, 2009, 3:16 pm

I said the same thing a little while back, though in slightly different language; which is to say, I agree with the thrust of your post, if not necessarily the overall tone, as has already been pointed out. There are "ways" to say things of course, that will not be seen as an attack, or challenge, to de facto hijackers.

For me it feels like the library is quiet(er) again - this is how it must have been in the early days. Some of us appreciate this very much! Like a breath of fresh air! Thank you & merci!

And those that don't can enjoy themselves in another, louder, more boisterous joint down the road. Different strokes for different fokes. Light fare is pleasant sometimes. When one feels playful.

But really sometimes people actually want information, replies to their posts on topic, stimulating and clever conversation, and not simply narcissistic, egotistic gossip and banter - which, like I said, is fine in its place -----> over there, where you can talk, talk, talk, to your heart's content.

I think topics were set up to do this on here; however, it was wishful thinking that the chatter and squabbling could be kept in one "room". Some people cannot control themselves, or their posts, as they themselves admit.

Don't drink & dial. Don't toast & post! Read it once, twice, (preview) take a deep breath, and then submit, if you are feeling warm around the collar. Then you will have less regrets, my friend. Easier said than done, I know.

Long live both fora, I say; they complement one another. And are not even mutually exclusive.

A bientot.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 2, 2009, 4:07 pm

I wouldn't have the slightest idea, truebrit, as I'm not from Texas. :-s

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 2, 2009, 5:42 pm

Touche I think.
The main thrust has been said countless times, and no doubt will be reiterated as time goes by in a different format, vein, whatever.
For some the only way to communicate is through this means as any other means may be impossible for them to achieve and yes some do say on here what they would not or will not say to a persons face.

But although it has many detracters and i have on occasions vented on here in the main it is a useful tool as it where, to keep abreast of information in a language I can understand.

Having said that thre are times when i do feel that kindergarten is out and they are all writing drivel.

Flo
udonmap.com

Post by Flo » December 2, 2009, 6:08 pm

Stef wrote:MM! I'm a member of nearly 2 yrs with 27 no sorry make that 28 posts, so I'm hardly over-opinionated, just letting off some steam, and trying to weed out some guys that shy away cos' of the nonsense speeled by just a handful who love to hijack every thread and claim to be professors of Udon Thani, when in reality they barely know their way out of their front gardens.
Well, I am a member since 4 and a half years and only made 41 posts. When I have a problem with my steam I never have that funny idea of letting it off at UdonMap. Just a piece of advice: there a methods for a man to get his steam off, that are much more delightful than starting a campaign against people that have more then 3000 postings on an internet forum. :mrgreen:

:pirate:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 2, 2009, 6:12 pm

I will say it to your face,just put it in front of me,until then I will say that the OP is a hypocrite,as his post was more judgmental and opinionated than most,with self -righteousness as its theme!

Maybe ,you should start your own forum.

What have you contributed to this forum in your 28 posts? :roll:

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » December 2, 2009, 6:43 pm

Stef,
It is your opinion and we all have them, though you only speak for yourself. In the picture you portray I cannot see any debate or discussion. If you feel there are too many prima donnas, on this or any forum you should get involved with a debate about it and not flame or name call as that would kill off, any natural discussion and only lead to resentment.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 2, 2009, 7:39 pm

Good posting stef.....Image

stef wrote:we've just lost one nutter who's life was obviously built around udonmap, he's now on another forum and in 6 weeks he's posted 200 times
That's nothing stef.....There's an even bigger one on there with 700 posts in 6 weeks....Image

Stef
udonmap.com

Post by Stef » December 2, 2009, 7:39 pm

I think too many of you have lost the plot. Don't you understand this is not a real place it's cyber-space, it doesn't really exist, most users don't have real names, none (except those with pic in avatar) have a face. Most of what I write is to wind people up, simply by replying to this thread (one with no real substance, no request for information) means you care too much, you're living a fantasy life in cyber-space.

I wasn't only speaking my opinion - I started this thread because I genuinely meet many guys that say they never use this forum because of the over-opinionated loud mouths on here. These guys are probably reading this thread and having a good laugh at it, they won't post because they don't feel the need to, they also know me personally so know I like to wind people up. But you twitchy fingered idiots just couldn't resist posting could you.

And Ter - this is a debate, I haven't name called anybody, udonmap people are not real, real people are those you meet in a bar, a shop, in the street.

And Texpat don't get me started on race - The chances are you decended from my fair country, but your type have all forgotten that, and now like to think you are above the rest of the world which of course you are not. Capitalism gone mad- full of greed and materialism yet so many end up pennyless because they must have the biggest and best, living on the never-never (credit to you) and living a life you cannot afford, because you want to look good or keep up with your neighbor.

Stef
udonmap.com

Post by Stef » December 2, 2009, 7:51 pm

Beermonkey I'm amazed that you've got so many posts, you've actually thrown a curve ball at my theory, cos I know you have a life, and I also know your a busy man, I only see you post now-and-then, and your content is never waffle or senseless, although I think you like winding people up. So how did you end up with so many posts?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”