Attention Udon Riders

General Udon Thani topics only!
bumper
udonmap.com

Attention Udon Riders

Post by bumper » May 14, 2010, 10:24 am

A rider in first homes currently has the Police at his house checking his bike for violations.
This is very unusual for them to go to someones home.

Just reporting what was reported to me.

rossi46
udonmap.com

Re: Attention Udon Riders

Post by rossi46 » May 14, 2010, 10:43 am

A friend of mine Brian (first home) had his bike taken away from outside the 652 bar by the vat police and reg police for not haveing any tax or reg.

He got the bike back monday and was told he had to pay 30,000 bt, the police came to his house and suposedly a deal was going to be done?

There was also 3 weeks ago another guy who had the same problem.

Lock you bikes up Guys.

I will keep you informed on what happened to Brians bike.

Rossi 46

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 14, 2010, 10:51 am

Well the guy who called me got nicked for 25K. ( First Homes) At least now he can ride in peace. That still doesn't get you a book. just pay the taxes. But so far nobody seems to care about the book. It's tax they want.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 14, 2010, 11:20 am

As it turns out it was the tax guys, the individual reporting it at his home, was kicked for 25K with penalties and given one week to pay or lose the bike. They didn't take it with them. At least one guy was specifically named in the village beyond the person they were talking to.

It appears they may be working from a list, where they got that list I have no idea. But they promised to be back.

I know they have hit shops before but this seems to be a change in tactics.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 14, 2010, 11:48 am

A quick question ray - is the tax they are collecting legitimate?

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 14, 2010, 11:53 am

I think so everyone was given a chance to take care of it minus penalties. The current charge includes penalties.

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » May 14, 2010, 10:51 pm

It seems to me that it would be better to pay the taxes when ya buy the bike

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » May 15, 2010, 12:04 am

It not much different than buying land without a chanote.

You know the risk you're taking. You should be surprised when it goes pear shaped.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » May 15, 2010, 3:41 am

Is this tax they want the tax you are supposed to pay every year for cars or motorbikes?

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » May 15, 2010, 7:48 am

Just yesterday, I saw a 2010 canary yellow with black racing stripes Chevrolet Camero parked in Nong Khai. Wonder if the owner paid tax on that... :-$

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 15, 2010, 10:05 am

No it's the import tax. The numbers are based on the bike being made from used parts. Much more expensive to bring a bike in assembled. The doesn't mean the bike will pas the omission test and get you the proper documents ECT. For the bike to be used on the streets. In the past you wanted a book you paid 70K for the tea money to be paid around and walla a book. Pretty easy to see why guys didn't do that, as it was never enforced for years. As soon as they get their quota for the year this will stop as well.

Then we will have a new crusade next year. just as we did last year. In their defence they did offer an amnesty program for a period of time/ Some didnlt take advantage of it.

We now do have authorized dealers who can bring a certain types of bikes and they are street leagl going out the door. At least 80% more expensive then you would pay for the same new model in the states for example.

Chevy
Lots of way to make money in Asia, some legal some not. Not to mention there are some very wealthy people in Udon.

rossi46
udonmap.com

Post by rossi46 » May 15, 2010, 10:56 am

Hi Bumper

I dont agree with the 80% more expensive point i bought a yamaha R6 from the main dealer in Korat and 50% more but with all document and 3 year warenty. The problem is the bikes being brought in as parts are just breacking the law.

And i dont think that the 70k as you say to regester the bike is tea money it comes back as leagal documents worked out on the price of the bike.

Some bikes are 15 20 years old and the price goes on the value of the bike to how much you pay.

If you do want to pay the taxes etc i heard it will take around 6 monthe to do it leagaly and con be don quicker if you want to pay the tea money hence 70k.

Any one out there thinking of buying a 10 year old bike for 100k with no papers or plates are only looking for trouble so when you get picked up and asked to pay the money dont be supprised youve been warned.

Rossi 46

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 15, 2010, 11:11 am

First name - Valentino? :D

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 15, 2010, 12:08 pm

Rossi you make good points. But, it only been a few years that you have been able to buy the bike you have here.

The Kawasaki 650 is made in Thailand very inexpensive Bike. It's all in what agreement the manufactur has made in Thailand. The only bike can ride that is brought in here is the Vulcan 900 460K out the door.

rossi46
udonmap.com

Post by rossi46 » May 15, 2010, 12:35 pm

Bumper

You are right about my bike Yamaha only started 3 years ago selling big bikes and only in BKK,Puket,Chaing mai and Korat and there they only have 5 models of big bikes and they are expensive but you have the piece of mind of warenty and no hassle.

With the exchange rate at the moment new bikes are very expensive. A new R1 will cost 11.000 gbp in the uk and over here it is 18,750 gbp 900,000 bt.

A Ducati 1198 is 1.5mil here 31,000 gbp and in the uk its 13.000 gbp.

You can see why only the very rich This have fully imported big bikes, and guys at the tech 21 superbike group in udon bring new bikes in in parts and also pay tea money to the police.

I dont know about the Vulcan as i ride sport bikes each to there own.

But as we know last year tax man was around looking for bikes and got a few.

There are a few falangs around with bikes and no papers in udon they just need to be aware of what can happen, as there are new guys comeing to udon every day and are being told by the used bike sales guys its ok and they part with the money.

Rossi 46

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 15, 2010, 3:58 pm

Rossi I wish I could ride a sports bike I might not go any faster but they really look great. I almost choked when I bought a communication system from the U.K and had to pay a 20% tax.

As they say you can tell the difference from a man and a boy, by the cost of their toy.

I don't ride a much as I did a few years back so part of the fun for me is making them custom to me. But I pay the freight for my hobby and can go anywhere in Asia if finally decide to. I can relax when I see a Police check point.

A rider on the ride list made a suggestion to cut a deal with the tax guys and show up to pay a fixed price. If anything comes of it I will post it. If not and you haven' paid you might need to look over your shoulder. till they have gotten the quota for the year.

Interesting that Udon has been recognized for the amount of Big Bike Riders. Out little town certainly has changed. Now if we can get them recognized for all the charitable things they do for schools all over Issan

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » May 21, 2010, 7:21 am

bumper wrote:Now if we can get them recognized for all the charitable things they do for schools all over Issan
Point of fact: Charity that is not anonymous is called marketing and promotion. Don't get it twisted. ;)

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 21, 2010, 10:39 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good Point recognition beyond the point of sitting in bars, getting drunk and keep the local farmers from feeling they have to hide their daughters when we show up, would be nice though :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”