dead beat renters

General Udon Thani topics only!
dougness
udonmap.com

dead beat renters

Post by dougness » October 3, 2010, 12:24 pm

Whats the easiest way to get rid of dead beat renters in Thailand?They have changed their phone number,didn't pay the water and electric bill for three months.And withheld the rent claiming they fixed something.They signed a one year lease.My wifes out of town and had a friend ask what was up with their mobile and got some "story" from the guys wife saying he was in Singapore.PS,the renter is Thai.

bumper
udonmap.com

Re: dead beat renters

Post by bumper » October 3, 2010, 2:17 pm

Probably the cops, just a guess.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 3, 2010, 2:35 pm

Not an easy one to solve Doug, as they are showing themselves to be difficult already.. :(
I guess that the rental agreement should mention the prompt payment of bills & rent. I guess it should also cover what happens if something needs repair by the landlord....I would think that the landlord would have a right to decide if something needed to be done & to agree what portion of the rent could be properly with held if the renter undertook the repairs themselves....I can't imagine that the agreement allows the renter to do that in total isolation & then tell the landlord of their decision...
So, you probably have a right under law to evict them...the correct course would be to employ a lawyer & take them to court. However I imagine that will be a long process which they will try & keep as long as possible & the year rental agreement will undoubtedly have expired by the time it comes to court...
If your wife (or her family) have police contacts then as bumper suggests that route might yield swifter & cheaper results - but I suspect that they are probably well aware what their legal rights are as well & will stand their ground.
I think it will be important to tell them reasonably swiftly that the rental agreement will not be renewed after the first year & also tell them that you will be more than happy if they move earlier & consider the agreement close already. You should have the original guarantee deposit & can, maybe, use that in some way to negotiate an early departure for them!!!

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » October 3, 2010, 5:26 pm

I would think that the deposit would and should be forfeit due to breach. Thai law is based on English Common law extensively. Research remedies provided under English law and it is likely the same or similar remedies may be available under Thai law.

I am very familiar with US law (of which renter/landlord rights vary from state to state), but sorry cannot be of much help here other than perhaps in the future you may want to include a quit clause in future contracts as well as a catch-all clause such as "landord reserves the right to amend this Agreement with advance notice addressed and delivered to tenant at the premises identified herein". Note no time specified, so it reads ok enough for a renter to sign, but then in a situation such as what you describe, you could (in theory) give instant notice and give yourself whatever remedy you want.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » October 3, 2010, 6:12 pm

Most everything here starts with the cops, if they can't get a settlement then it progresses to the courts. So I will stand by my first guess.

hangsaboot
udonmap.com

Post by hangsaboot » October 3, 2010, 6:56 pm

p.s . the renter is thai [quote ]
nough said . many car rental companies in land of scams ,
do not rent out to khoun thai .

put it down to experience .and cut your losses.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » October 4, 2010, 1:03 pm

I think the place to start is to take the lease agreement to a lawyer and get his advice.

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » October 5, 2010, 3:25 am

The best thing is start at the beginning,A lease agreement,"contract" signed.Then take it to court etc.Make sue A lawyer draws it up.A high security seposit.

dougness
udonmap.com

Post by dougness » October 5, 2010, 3:39 am

No need for lawyers or the police,their gone.They paid two months rent as a deposit.My wife said the guy was well dressed,well spoken,drove a new car and had a draftsmans job.But like the Thai saying,"lady look good,but smell bad",they always had a excuse when it came to paying the bills.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 5, 2010, 4:45 am

I have a friend in Khorat who is facing a similar situation. The farang couple have not paid the rent in three months, and have not been seen in two.

Another friend in Udonthani has said that the only reliable farangs for renting purposes are the Mormons, who are honest, and responsible. Furthermore, they are tidy, and clean up and take care of the place they rent.

As Hangsabout might add, do not rent out to khon farangs.

Dr. James
udonmap.com

Post by Dr. James » October 5, 2010, 5:58 pm

One of the best policies for renting is always, always, be choosey about who you rent to in the first place. If you set high standards in terms of who you rent to, you will have far fewer problems. I have managed my family's properties in the US for a number of years and can say without hesitation that policy has allowed us to have many long-term renters (five to ten years) and little worry about collecting rent checks. I presently rent in Udon Thani and pay my rent annually. That way my landlord gives me a substantial discount in terms of my rent and I don't worry about monthly payments to the landlord. Works out well for all parties. If you are in the landlord position choose only quality renters who can afford your property.

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Post by kjellsnell » October 6, 2010, 9:23 am

Dr. James wrote:One of the best policies for renting is always, always, be choosey about who you rent to in the first place. If you set high standards in terms of who you rent to, you will have far fewer problems. I have managed my family's properties in the US for a number of years and can say without hesitation that policy has allowed us to have many long-term renters (five to ten years) and little worry about collecting rent checks. I presently rent in Udon Thani and pay my rent annually. That way my landlord gives me a substantial discount in terms of my rent and I don't worry about monthly payments to the landlord. Works out well for all parties. If you are in the landlord position choose only quality renters who can afford your property.
I can onlu agree .......i am a landlord in bouth my homecountry and also i Thailand where i have some propertys in Izzan and Hua Hin Cha Am area. I allways pic the customers by my self and they must allways pay the rent in advance ´plus a deposit. If they cant afford that.......i dont like to have them as my rentalcustomers. Thats the best way avoid problems and a god thing for both customer and landowner. The landowner fell safe and customer happys as i give them a small promo when they pay this way!

dougness
udonmap.com

Post by dougness » November 17, 2010, 9:19 pm

It turns out he was wanted by the Police for selling rental cars and other fraud related stuff.Plus some Thai mafia wanted him for some gambling related stuff.The place is now only for sale.

Wisdom
udonmap.com

Post by Wisdom » November 18, 2010, 12:39 am

I will be renting in Udon Thani next year, through Udonmap classified i'd think, and i'd be a real 'goody two shoes' in paying my rent, without doubt. :D Being a 'goody two shoes' i just have to sort out my family here first, then, Udon Thani here i come! :D :D :D So just the missus daughters grand-daughter, here, to agree financial settlement with and, be over in a jiff! Next May for sure. Well, maybe by September. Certainly December next year for sure. :roll: Or, thereabouts. Sometime around then anyway. I'm certain, almost. So, hold that rented property, and i'll be there within the year........or two! Perhaps it's best to just rent your properties out in the meantime, until i get there, i think. :oops:

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » November 18, 2010, 7:32 am

dougness wrote:Whats the easiest way to get rid of dead beat renters in Thailand?They have changed their phone number,didn't pay the water and electric bill for three months.And withheld the rent claiming they fixed something.They signed a one year lease.My wifes out of town and had a friend ask what was up with their mobile and got some "story" from the guys wife saying he was in Singapore.PS,the renter is Thai.
Obviously you have to take some action whether you will get any benefits from it or not,you don't want them ''squatting'' forever!

Being that it is a Thai renter,I would request them to move within a week,fore going the rent,as you have little chance of getting it anyway.If that didn't have an acceptable result!Then ,I would have all utilities turned off and seek legal assistance for an eviction(first asking /or offering some police money if they can convince the renter to vacant),then as a last resort the courts!

If it was a falang,I would hire some Thais,preferably police, to convince them they should move immediately to be paid upon the vacancy!I would not specify or infer any violence be taken!

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Post by kjellsnell » November 18, 2010, 8:07 am

From time to time this happens to me do i have propertys out for rental in outh hua hin and cha am. Last time it was an englishman married to thai women i have to get rid of. Accelly i was in Udon and calded them up and say they have two days to move out from my house in Cha Am and i allso say i come down to execute that by my self.

When i come the englishmen start to make some moves to scare me up ut i only told him to go out.....and after 10 min they left. I have a backup in this area, a thai whit something but i can also make it by self if somebody makes trets.....if its neccessary!

Only take the scumbags out and if nthey miss the firsth rental.....they do it again.....true them out! =D>

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 18, 2010, 8:25 am

Dougness, I had a problem with tenants renting a property in Phuket. He paid a one month's deposit and the first month's rent up front, then the next month he paid late after lots of stories about his Gf paying it into the wrong account. Then the following month he gave me a never ending stream of excuses that money was coming from overseas, that the rent would be paid next week etc but it never was. I went to a lawyer locally. They asked for a copy of the rental agreement and his passport, which I provided, then served formal written notice on the tenants to pay up within 7 days.

After the 7 days had elapsed we all went to the house, - two people from the lawyers, the driver, myself and GF. He was at home, his TGF in bed supposedly unwell, and he continued giving excuses, pleading for a postponement until the following tuesday and promising to pay all outstanding rent, a further month's deposit and the lawyers fees (6000 baht). I wanted them out there and then, but the lawyers persuaded me to delay, and wrote up a new rental agreement (on the basis he had already broken the original agreement), requiring payment of all the above by the following tuesday, - if not they would be evicted. The tenant after initially being very keen to sign or agree to anything to avoid being thrown out there and then, reluctantly signed it.

The following tuesday early evening, he had the gall to ring me up with a story about wanting to pay the money in cash directly to my lawyers on the wednesday morning. I told him he didn't have that option, the deadline was tuesday, and that I was meeting the lawyers the next morning (wednesday) at 9.00am , and we would be coming to the house, picking up a policeman on the way, and if he was still there he would be thrown out. Later that evening I had a phone call from the neighbour (a friend) who told us he was moving his stuff out, and he left about 11.00pm.

So my advice, don't mess about with them. Go to a lawyer and take the rental agreement, copy of their ID card etc with you.

dougness
udonmap.com

Post by dougness » December 7, 2010, 9:48 pm

Sometimes its best not to have a rental agreement,so you can get rid of them in one month.The ahole ex renter opened are mail,stole the drapes and tried unsuccessfully to buy(really to sell are house,steal it).My wife said if he really wanted to buy the house,he could go to the bank for the paperwork,but he said he wanted it sent directly to him,happy that my wife is no fool,because its possible he could have used the paperwork to sell it to someone.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”