Phaya Naga & The Naga Fireballs

General Udon Thani topics only!
ph55059

Phaya Naga & The Naga Fireballs

Post by ph55059 » September 13, 2006, 8:57 pm

Hi all,

Love the forum BTW.
I have a house in Udon (PK Tanee Sam) but am currently in London, and would love to find out more about the Naga stories and witness the fireballs - has anyone witnessed this first hand?

Quote: "The Phaya Naga or Naga are serpent-like creatures believed by locals to live in the Laotian stretch of the Mekong river. People in both Laos and Thailand attribute the Naga fireballs to these creatures, which are likely to be extremely overgrown Giant Mottled Eels (Anguilla marmorata) or an undiscovered species of eel."

& The Naga fireballs
(Thai: บั้งไฟพญานาค, bangfai payanak) Quote "are a phenomenon seen in Nong Khai province, Isan, Thailand and Laos, in which glowing balls rise from the Mekong river. The balls are reddish in colour and about the size of an egg; they rise a couple of hundred metres before disappearing. The number of fireballs is variable, being reported at between tens and thousands per night [1].

The fireballs are most often reported around the night of Wan Awk Pansa in October, although displays have also been reported in March, April, May, June and September.

The cause of the phenomenon is unclear: it has been proposed that the balls are produced by the fermentation of sediment in the river, which can combust in the particular river and atmospheric conditions of the nights in question.

A programme on Thai television in 2002 suggested that they were produced by tracer fire from soldiers on the Lao side of the river. This provoked furious protests from local villagers, who believe that the balls are produced by a mythical serpent, the Naga or Phaya Naga, living in the river. Even normally serious newspapers supported the Naga theory.

The phenomenon has gained much prominence since the furore over the TV programme, as well as the 2002 film by director Jira Maligool, Mekhong Full Moon Party.

Previously known as the ghost fireballs, the event has now had its name changed and is being promoted as a festival to attract tourists."

Comments and first hand experiences would be welcomed

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » September 14, 2006, 9:35 am

Hello ph55059 and welcome to the fourm! I am pleased to infom you I was at Para Naga last year here is a link I think you'll like http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... sc&start=0 . I wont lie I saw a few of the fireballs but they only stayed close to the water but the crowd with wild when they did show.

I had a great time and I went to Phon Phisai to see the show and if you have never been...GO. Now if you dont like crowds well then you may reconsider as when you see the tread I posted you can see for yourself. One of the highlights of the day was a "Bang Fai" rocket launch form Laos and the height it reached to was amazing....very cool.

Doesn't look like I'll make it back to see the show this year so you can feel a little safer as you wont have to worry about Thai 1 On making his own Naga Fireballs after the show :twisted:

Not all was lost as they also have a boat parade that is spectacular and if you like I can post some of the boats that went by.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » September 14, 2006, 3:55 pm

Bottom line here, is that its an elaborate prank, similar in some ways to Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

A really magnificant and moving shared experience for all involved. If there is any possible way, you should make it a point to witness one evening of Naga Eggs.

People shoot flares into the air, others see it and get all excited over it. People have made naga tracks in the mud and on property (and automobiles) near the river. There are pictures of Nagas, often fuzzy or poorly exposed like the flying saucer photos from the 1950's and 1960's.

Its good for commerce in this part of the country, and it really lifts people's spirtis (no pun intended).

Here is my detialed account from a few years back.

http://72.41.86.92/tpc/egg/egg.htm

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 14, 2006, 5:20 pm

Rickfarang,nothing in your experience story points out that it is an elaborate prank!
Has there actually been a revealing investigation?I can't figure how they fool every single person for years. :)

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » September 14, 2006, 8:56 pm

I am sorry. I did not mean to imply that the story contained any evidence that this is a hoax.

How do they fool every single person for so many years? Mainly, its because people want to believe. In my story, I did not come to any conclusions. The mystery is much more interestign than the answer.

And besides, all participants benefit from the experience. :)

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 14, 2006, 9:13 pm

rickfarang wrote:I am sorry. I did not mean to imply that the story contained any evidence that this is a hoax.

How do they fool every single person for so many years? Mainly, its because people want to believe. In my story, I did not come to any conclusions. The mystery is much more interestign than the answer.

And besides, all participants benefit from the experience. :)
:) How did you determine that it was an elaborate hoax?Is there something that you can point to that would give more credence to that?I think it is a hoax,but I have nothing but my disbelief in general about these type of events and especially in Thailand.I was hoping you had some sembllence of proof to confirm my suspicions :)

ph55059

Post by ph55059 » September 14, 2006, 10:19 pm

Thanks for the replies, I guess this is something I need to witness first hand - can't wait ..

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 14, 2006, 10:29 pm

:lol: When I can put aside my cynicism,I really enjoy watching the Thais at events like this!Like being with children having so much excitement and fun.It is a big social event and I see pride on their faces that it is something of theirs that is special! :)

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » September 14, 2006, 10:36 pm

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 14, 2006, 10:38 pm

BKKSTAN wrote::lol: When I can put aside my cynicism,I really enjoy watching the Thais at events like this!Like being with children having so much excitement and fun.It is a big social event and I see pride on their faces that it is something of theirs that is special! :)
Good point. I am not crazy about huge crowds but the Naga Fireballs seems like one most could enjoy even if it's just to be part of the festive atmosphere. Other events like Loy Krathong are even enjoyable. Hell, I could even learn to enjoy Songkran, I suppose. :lol:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 14, 2006, 10:45 pm

polehawk wrote:
BKKSTAN wrote::lol: When I can put aside my cynicism,I really enjoy watching the Thais at events like this!Like being with children having so much excitement and fun.It is a big social event and I see pride on their faces that it is something of theirs that is special! :)
Good point. I am not crazy about huge crowds but the Naga Fireballs seems like one most could enjoy even if it's just to be part of the festive atmosphere. Other events like Loy Krathong are even enjoyable. Hell, I could even learn to enjoy Songkran, I suppose. :lol:
When I first came here,I really enjoyed Songkran.The adults in my neighborhood were very respectful in the tradional way and it was fun playing with the kids because we all knew each other.When I ventured out of my neighborhood,in Bangkok,it was not fun!
Last year,in Nong Khai,we went out in the car and 95% of what I saw were people playing with people they knew,we got a few waterings ,but in general it was all in control and good fun!

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » September 14, 2006, 11:32 pm

ph55059 wrote:Thanks for the replies, I guess this is something I need to witness first hand - can't wait ..
You should go as I said before I had a great time and I would do it again just for the fun of it. Of course I'll come with a lot more heavy ordnance in case the Naga is a little shy and needs a helping hand :wink:

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » September 15, 2006, 2:46 am

ITV did an expose several years back, showing how the fireballs could have easily been faked by people on the opposite shore of the Mekong firing signal flare guns, but much as when challenging other core beliefs, held on the basis of faith alone, this expose was poorly received. From my own observations, I would have to say that the fireballs I saw all looked like flares shot from guns. The fact that the fireballs we saw that night were over a lake a few km from the Mekong itself, might be considered strange. Why would the Nagas, who dwell in the Mekong, be sending up signals from a lake?

When there was more than one fireball at a time, they followed similar paths, as if being fired from the same place. For me, there is no other answer. Much like, as a six year old child, I knew that the fat bearded guy at the shopping center could never fit down our chimney, but I wanted to believe he did every year because the the myth was universally supported, and enjoying the myth was by far much more rewarding than living with the sark reality.

Go and see it. Leave your skepticism at home and analyze your memories later, so you can enjoy the lights and the atmosphere. When the crowd reacts with wild excitement at the appearance of each egg, and the hair on the back of your neck tingles with excitement, you can feel the crowd's excitement and pride about the magic of that night. Don't think too much. Enjoy.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 15, 2006, 7:06 am

rickfarang wrote:ITV did an expose several years back, showing how the fireballs could have easily been faked by people on the opposite shore of the Mekong firing signal flare guns, but much as when challenging other core beliefs, held on the basis of faith alone, this expose was poorly received. From my own observations, I would have to say that the fireballs I saw all looked like flares shot from guns. The fact that the fireballs we saw that night were over a lake a few km from the Mekong itself, might be considered strange. Why would the Nagas, who dwell in the Mekong, be sending up signals from a lake?

When there was more than one fireball at a time, they followed similar paths, as if being fired from the same place. For me, there is no other answer. Much like, as a six year old child, I knew that the fat bearded guy at the shopping center could never fit down our chimney, but I wanted to believe he did every year because the the myth was universally supported, and enjoying the myth was by far much more rewarding than living with the sark reality.

Go and see it. Leave your skepticism at home and analyze your memories later, so you can enjoy the lights and the atmosphere. When the crowd reacts with wild excitement at the appearance of each egg, and the hair on the back of your neck tingles with excitement, you can feel the crowd's excitement and pride about the magic of that night. Don't think too much. Enjoy.
:) OK,I understand.Good explanation and analogy :)

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » September 24, 2006, 6:52 pm

ph55059 asked for first hand accounts, so here is one.

On September 20th, we got word that a Naga had been seen in the Mehong near Nam Pae (which I think is about 40 km East of Nong Khai). So, this being a surprise holiday, and nobody having anything more pressing to do, we drove over there and had a look.

There were many dozens or even hundreds of people along the river watching the Naga. We also heard that there were more sightings at the same place on Sept. 21.

Viewed through the afternoon haze, this ripple was seen as a Naga just breaking though the surface. It caused loud and excited chatter from the crowd.

The circular shape of this whorl can be seen clearly, as it spins down the river. It caused a lot of excitement too.

I've put these pictures and links to some short videos on the web page below.
http://www.cappels.org/thai_articles/na ... 0Naga.html

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » September 24, 2006, 9:10 pm

ask yourself why none of these 1000s of viewers has ever taken good photos or video of the event and sold them to National Geograhic mag for a fortune.
its pure horse sh*t

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 24, 2006, 9:16 pm

izzix wrote:ask yourself why none of these 1000s of viewers has ever taken good photos or video of the event and sold them to National Geograhic mag for a fortune.
its pure horse sh*t
:lol: It sure seems that way to me,but the event can be a lot of fun.Although very crowded ,it is very festive :)

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 24, 2006, 9:51 pm

i have a pet naga out back in the pool, for a 1000 baht, and a bottle of stoli and apple pucker, i'll show him/her to you, after we drink the martini's of course, and if you are not satisfied, i will refund the 1000 baht.

as for the fireballs, well, i can't guarantee them, as there is no smoking allowed in the house.
UNRAVELLING THE MYSTERY OF an individual OF NAGA FIREBALLS PHENOMENON

While it is tempting to maintain the allure of the many intriguing accounts that surround the mythical origins of the "Bung Fai Phaya Naga" fireballs, scientific studies have provided ample evidence to verify the authenticity of this natural phenomenon.

The appearance of an individual of Naga fireballs involves the simultaneous interplay of several forces of nature. These include the presence of conditions that are conducive to the formation of Methane-Nitrogen gas with 19% level of purity, the presence of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria co-existing in a habitat at depths of 4.55 to 13.40 metres with organic deposits forming on a bed of clay or sand, average surrounding temperatures of higher than 26?C at 10.00, 13.00 and 16.00 hours, and a PH value between 6.4 to 7.8.

As the sun warms the surface of the clay or sand bed, organic matter decomposes within 3 to 6 hours and begins to emit methane gas. Pressure builds up and the gas rises to the surface of the water. Bubbles of gas exceeding 15cc dissipate leaving behind a 12cc nucleas that floats upwards. The gas reacts with the oxygen in the air and instantly ignites. 95% of the balls of light seen are ruby-red with pinkish-red or crimson-burgundy hues. This explains why these balls of light are of uniform colour, do not emit flares, smoke or sound, and eventually dissolve into thin air without leaving a trace.

The frequency and intensity of the fireballs also vary according to several other factors such as the distance of the earth relative to the sun and moon, the intensity of "B" and "C" ultraviolet rays, and a extent of the depletion of the ozone layer in the stratosphere.

Tracking studies have indicated that there is much greater likelihood of the phenomenon occurring in the months of March to May, and September and October, on days when the earth gravitates closest to the sun and moon, and the depletion of the ozone layer allows ultraviolet rays to easily penetrate the stratosphere.

Based on these studies, the two absolute indicators for the formation of individual of Naga fireballs are the presence of Methane-Nitrogen gases of 19% purity and a sufficient concentration of Ionized Atomic Oxygen to trigger a reaction called "heterogenous combustion" that results in the mystical glow of the fireballs.

Contact information:
TAT NORTHEASTERN OFFICE - REGION 5
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: (66 42) 325-406 to 7
Fax: (66 42) 325-408

this one was tough to dig up, as the TAT keeps changing their sites for the worst, but, i carried on, couldn't spell the other word, perseveered, or something like that. had it saved on computer from couple years ago, but naturally it changes url. but this should bring the whole article w/pics, for the naysayers.

offer still stands, money back quarantee. oh yea, the url:

http://www.tatnews.org/emagazine/1611.asp#1

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 24, 2006, 9:58 pm

:D Great going LA,I have been looking a rational explanation!This sounds good,but it is over my education level to really understand ! :roll:

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 24, 2006, 10:01 pm

So it's really like an accumulation of hot gases (i.e. a load of hot air)?

It's funny these events only occur in the evening at certain times of the year. They obviously know the difference between day and night, or is it that we just don't see them in the day time?

What happens to it in the high season months? It must get really bottled up!

LA, does the Naga thrive Ok in the chlorinated pool water? Do you let it into the house? Where does it sleep at night?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”