Shop for water pump repair

General Udon Thani topics only!
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 16, 2012, 5:39 am

The second of my two water pumps, a Mitsubishi bringing water into the house, is still working, but dripping a small amount of water from, I think you call it, the pump head end. It appears to be coming from where two components are bolted together, so maybe a seal? It doesn't appear too serious?
Can anybody recommend a shop in Udon to check it out, a place actually selling pumps and carrying spares etc? I think I bought it in Global a couple of years back, but I imagine they'd want me to forward it to Bangkok! I had to smile here in Phen at the shop suggested to me - miscellaneous machinery and old parts scattered everywhere in a complete mess - and even a metal coffin being serviced.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 16, 2012, 6:33 am

There are 3 shops next door to each other located before the fountain circle selling water pumps. Last year I used the shop furthest from the traffic circle with good results for service on a water pump.

More recently, the shop nearest the traffic circle is a Thai-American (Steve) and I've purchased a pump through him. Although I don't know about service he should be of assistance.

FYI, after some comparison shopping I found these shops to offer better prices on pumps than the bigger stores (Global, HomePro, Big C).

Another shop located located on the NE side of the traffic circle I wouldn't recommend, they're over priced on parts & service.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 16, 2012, 3:59 pm

Thank you, that's very helpful. If there's someone speaking English too, that's a bonus.
Just a pain getting the thing there and would need it looked at immediately, if I want to avoid filling up bins and buckets with water, Thai style.
Do you have a telephone number for the 'Steve Shop"?

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 16, 2012, 6:51 pm

I use to have it. I was given a biz card, but have misplaced it.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » February 16, 2012, 7:34 pm

Theres a good shop in Phen that repairs pumps, looks a bit rough but they know what there doing, if you go down the main street turn left between the hardware and motorbike shop, same side of the street as the present market location, go through the cross roads and its the second shop on the right, over christmas they were rebuilding so now its probaly new and complete. It sounds like it will be an easy fix, I have been there a number of times, there ok.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 17, 2012, 5:25 am

coxo wrote:,Theres a good shop in Phen that repairs pumps ....
And thank you. Four years in Phen and I don't think I've ever been down that road. I'll have a look.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 2, 2012, 8:46 am

You'll know you've seen Steve when you walk past his shop and you hear a Thai (Lao) say in perfect Amarillo, Texas, English, "Hey, how's it going?" Steve's a friendly, helpful guy and a welcome addition to that area of shops.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 2, 2012, 9:42 am

Hey Steve,

How's it going? I see you it made to the forum. Anyway, just wanted to give you another plug....

Several months ago I purchased a water pump from Udon Hardware and saved at least 500bt compared to the bigger outlets (Global, HomePro). It pays to shop around.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » June 2, 2012, 5:19 pm

Pity the latest posts didn't come a few days earlier, because I tried to find you Thursday and got nowhere! I must have tried half a dozen shops around the circle, but nobody knew of a farang helping out. Ok, so I didn't have the actual name, number or business card at that point. So, I see the address is on Phosi Rd, but am I correct in thinking that's the AEK Udon rather than Thungsi Muang side of the circle?
Perhaps I'll call in next time I'm in Udon, but from my earlier post, I think Mitsubishi pump spares will be required. Can the shop handle this repair? I've actually bought a new pump now, but sensible to have the original, same model, as a spare. I did have the original repaired in Nong Khai, where new parts were fitted and the shop seemed to know what was going on, but the dripping and eventual emptying of the pump started all over again.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 2, 2012, 6:44 pm

ํYes, same side as AEK. There are 3 similar shops next door to each other. UD hardware is the one nearest the traffic circle.

steve_udonhardware1

Post by steve_udonhardware1 » June 3, 2012, 5:44 pm

Hi gentlement. I saw the plug and business card; much appreciated and your too kind. And Parrot, you have a great memory. Thanks, nice to know there is a few good men left in this one horse town. Cheers.

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » June 4, 2012, 7:27 am

I bought a pump and had it installed by fitter recommended by Steve. Excellent job. Well recommended and good prices.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Shop for water pump repair

Post by vincemunday » July 22, 2020, 3:23 pm

steve_udonhardware1 wrote:
June 3, 2012, 5:44 pm
Hi gentlement. I saw the plug and business card; much appreciated and your too kind. And Parrot, you have a great memory. Thanks, nice to know there is a few good men left in this one horse town. Cheers.
Went here today to buy the controller that sits on the side of my water pump (Mitsubishi). Steve the chap that owns the shop was as brilliant as ever and within 30 seconds of walking through the door he came back with a part that only cost me 240 baht. The pumps on Udon Hardware are cheaper that you'll find elsewhere and it helps that they speak perfect American English.

Steve if you read this, this was the competition I was talking about.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1595403265523.jpg
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 22, 2020, 8:07 pm

If the leak is minor, I'd just let it leak. I had an ITC pump that was dripping. I went to tighten the leaking fitting and the bolt twisted off way too easily. Then the leak got much worse so I bought a new water pump. Since the pump had been working OK, I wished that I had not touched it.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 22, 2020, 8:11 pm

glalt wrote:
July 22, 2020, 8:07 pm
If the leak is minor, I'd just let it leak. I had an ITC pump that was dripping. I went to tighten the leaking fitting and the bolt twisted off way too easily. Then the leak got much worse so I bought a new water pump. Since the pump had been working OK, I wished that I had not touched it.
Understand your point but this was leaking quite a lot, a common fault with this pump, I've replaced the part and it's all working well.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 22, 2020, 9:31 pm

I really didn't feel too bad about buying a new pump. That one was nearly ten years old and was badly corroded from leaking for a year or more. Since that ITC was such a good pump for me, I bought another identical one.

marcus1
udonmap.com

Post by marcus1 » July 22, 2020, 9:33 pm

Hi Vince...
Apologies Vince...Wrong Steve.
Last edited by marcus1 on July 23, 2020, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
YKICAMOOCOW

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » July 23, 2020, 1:17 am

gosh , we really need some handy directions . i've
always been puzzled where this place is . :-s

so , if you leave the fountain / 5-way circle and head roughly east on nittaya/posri/rte 22 it's about 100m down st next to siamchai aircon
and other parts shops(อุดร อุปกรณ)udonhardware
images_crop_426x437.jpg
IMG_20200723_010423-648x486.jpg

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » July 23, 2020, 2:43 am

marcus1 wrote:
July 22, 2020, 9:33 pm
Hi Vince...
I see your attachment directed at Steve as regards said golf tournament.
Very very sad that the money raised is not going to local charities.
We live in Thailand....Not America where the money raised will go to.
All monies raised should go to the country we call home now.
Many Thai people are on the bones of their arse now and need help more so than American/Yank vets.
Wrong cause Reggie...Soooo Wrong.
Marcus, I saw nothing on golf tournament flyer that said money raised would go to America, can you please enlighten me as your source

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 23, 2020, 7:08 am

marcus1 wrote:
July 22, 2020, 9:33 pm
Hi Vince...
I see your attachment directed at Steve as regards said golf tournament.
Very very sad that the money raised is not going to local charities.
We live in Thailand....Not America where the money raised will go to.
All monies raised should go to the country we call home now.
Many Thai people are on the bones of their arse now and need help more so than American/Yank vets.
Wrong cause Reggie...Soooo Wrong.
As usual you’re way off the mark, you obviously jumped the gun before reading through the thread, nothing unusual there eh! Steve is the owner of the pump shop and he’s a keen golfer and I said I would post the flyer so he could see it. It’s up to the charity organisers goes isn’t it?

If it bothers you so much don’t play and why not start your own charity tournament then you can decide where the proceeds go.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”