Tools quality and price / Where

General Udon Thani topics only!
fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 7, 2012, 11:46 pm

Noos

Is the pump outside the warranty period? We brought our Hitachi pump back to Global House and they sent it off to BKK for warranty repairs at no cost to us. I bought a new replacement pump (same model) because we needed a pump to get water to the house and sold the repaired one when it was returned. I'm sure you already know to hold on to the receipt and any warranty paperwork you received at the time of purchase. You should also make sure they complete the warranty registration card or compete it yourself and send it to the company.
A bit off the subject but Sony makes things very easy regarding registering a warranty. You can do it all on line.

An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

steve_udonhardware1

Post by steve_udonhardware1 » June 14, 2012, 9:09 pm

Hi, noosard. Sounds like the pump pressure switch is bad. This switch should shut the pump off in seconds of having turn off the faucet. Even a new product can come with bad parts( mass produced). you can get the parts from those small hardware stores on posri street, alittle from the fountain, bring your part or model number. A generic switch will cost 220 and brand name one goes for no more than 450, depending on which store. Fyi, the motor's compacitor will stop the pump for a short period of time if the motor is over worked. If the pumps works normally, but still shuts down for a period of time. Change the capacitor.

steve_udonhardware1

Post by steve_udonhardware1 » June 14, 2012, 9:41 pm

fdimike, you are right about Thais frowning on refunds. And from what I can tell, the big chain stores don't usually stock parts. They usually send your product back to bkk. At any rate, any place large and small can give you the wrong part, with the language barriers, but those smaller shops on posri road do a good job of accepting exchanges. Wouldn't life be easier if every business in Udon had a guy named Steve giving helpful advice in perfect english.
Fyi, you can really find a good deal at those small shops downtown and ask before you buy about exchanges. Plus, if your really worried. Stick to brand name products that come with warrant cards( do send them in). Cheers

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 15, 2012, 9:27 pm

Steve

The language barrier is not the real problem. Finding what you're looking for is the problem because there is no single source (Yellow Pages) to look for a shop selling what you're looking for. Most of the time I'm told we can order it for you. The problem with that is you may be stuck with the wrong item when it arrives because you will have to give the shop a deposit before they'll order the item. Your right about the spare part issue which is unfortunate. The local merchants as well as the chain shops just don't have a handle on this issue yet. ie I needed a new vacuum hose for an Electrolux vacuum cleaner we bought at Home Pro. It has to be ordered from BKK. I got the same results from several local shops all selling Electrolux appliances as well. I received the same reply when I wanted a new drive belt for my self propelled lawn mower and expendable cutting/grinding bits for my Dremel rotary cutter. Tool Pro sells the rotary tool but the attachments have to be ordered from BKK. Try to find silicone grease (used to lubricate rubber "O" rings and other rubber parts here in UT. No one has ever heard of the stuff and most want to sell me silicone sealant so most people just do without. I had to order the stuff from the US. Try to find thread sealant paste for PVC pipe threads and all you'll find is teflon tape. The paste is ten times better than teflon tape but not available here in UT.
As I said in an earlier post I prefer buying big ticket itmes from the large chain stores as exchanges and warranty work are USUALLY easier to handle.
I'm going to try and stop in to your shop early next week because I would like to see what you have available.

Mike

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 16, 2012, 10:05 am

fdmike, about 5 years ago we were going to trash our vacuum cleaner (then about 7 years old) because the hose had cracked in several places. I was in Amorn's for some other items and happened to see a generic vacuum hose on display.....300 baht. I took a gamble.....removed the ends from the old hose and they easily went on the new hose. Problem solved....now the vac's 12+ years old. My wife hates it when that happens!

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 16, 2012, 4:18 pm

Thanks Parrot. I've already ordered and received the new hose from BKK but I'll see what Amorn has and keep it as a spare. BTW: Price of the new complete hose was 1400THB inc delivery. I would definitely opt for the one at Amorn assuming it fit ok.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 25, 2013, 3:33 pm

The vacuum bag in our ages old Imarflex vacuum cleaner just about bit the dust.....I was thinking a new vacuum would be a fitting 40th anniversary gift (not).....until! I stopped by Amorn's (lower floor Big C) and spotted a brand spanking new one vacuum bag, and only one, all for 110 Baht. Several years ago when our vacuum hose sported a leak, and I thought it was time to buy new, Amorn's had one in stock for all of 300 Baht. Now the filter.
Amour might be a more fitting name for the store!
Now to figure out what to get for an anniversary!

akwoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by akwoodworker » January 25, 2013, 7:09 pm

I have bought numerous power tools from the chain stores and even though I work them pretty hard, I square up rough cut lumber and build furniture, but definitely not great stuff. But that's how it is here. tried to find finish nails and a nail setter the other day, nope. I know what to bring next time. Fortunately the tools I did bring my inlaws don't know how to use.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » January 25, 2013, 8:27 pm

Russ

You should be able to find finishing nails at Home Pro. They also have nail sets as well. Tool Pro Plus carries nail sets as well as does Global House. As best I can recall Global House also carries finishing nails.

akwoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by akwoodworker » January 25, 2013, 9:46 pm

Neither had finishing nails. Ended up using small concrete nails, they made a nice accent.

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » January 27, 2013, 6:56 am

Have done alot of home renevations over the past 5 years and have bought most of my stuff at home pro, eventhough a little more expensive, but have never really have had any problem with it.

urban legend

Post by urban legend » January 30, 2013, 2:44 am

Tip of the day from your Industrial Guru Urban Legend if you want quality ..... 3 Things to remember when buying power tool most of all with 9 and 4.5 inch grinders 1>Bosch 2/Bosch 3>Bosch after 23 years can't find anything that comes close :D

URBAN LEGEN remember don't accept Imitations [-X

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 20, 2014, 8:20 pm

parrot wrote:I'm not a big-time tool user, but like to have one available (in working order) when I need one. My experience (2.5rai land):
Makita corded drill -lasted 13 years
Black and Decker drill - 2 years, still works fine
Makita grinder - 13 years still works fine
No name blender - 14 years still works fine, but glass container broke after 12 years
Philips blender - 7 years still works fine
Tomex coffee grinder - 6 years still works fine
Barula gas hedge trimmer - 1 year works fine
Barula chain saw - 1 year works fine
Honda lawnmower - 1 year works fine
Hitachi house water pump - 8 years works fine
deep well water pump - 9 years works fine (rewired after 6 years 800 baht)
Honda gas weed whacker - 1 year works fine
Imarflex vacuum cleaner - 12 years works fine (changed hose about 6 years ago 300 baht)
Whirlpool washer - 4 years works fine
Hitachi refrigerator - 4 years works fine
Samsung refrigerator - crapped out after 4 years
No-name toaster - burned out first time I used it.....Tesco refunded
Shindaiwa weed whacker - 13 years before it gave up the ghost
Zinsano Blue Clean 141 pressure sprayer - Nov 2007 - had one problem shortly after purchase but was fixed under warranty through Homepro
That's my experience......can't say I had much better luck back in the USA.

If you hire someone to work around your home (gardener/maid/etc), train them on how to care for whatever appliance/tool they'll be using.

Since the subject (quality of appliances/tools) comes up from time to time, I'll update my list above:
Our 14 year old vacuum crapped out....motor still good, but a critical plastic connector snapped. I know I can fix it....but the wife said "it's time for a new one". We bought another Imarflex.
Our 3 year old Honda GXV160 had transmission issues after the first year. I was able to get it repaired a few times, but finally decided the transmission wasn't worth the effort. I dropped the box and now it's a push mower. Surprisingly, it's easier to operate without the transmission. Go figure. The engine starts first time every time and has plenty of power.
The Honda weedwacker, hedge trimmer, and chain saw are all operating well.....despite heavy use on an acre+ of land. I've replaced the chain, the bar, and the carb on the chainsaw......it starts easily and cuts boatloads of trees a few times a year. A blessing!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 22, 2014, 10:35 am

Turns out what I thought was a 14 year old vac was bought in Nov 1998.....so that's nearly 16 years. Imarflex. Bought it for 3500 Baht.......the new one, more powerful, same brand, much improved filtration system.......1600 Baht.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”