one night in udon was too much

General Udon Thani topics only!
Lao-miner
udonmap.com

Post by Lao-miner » July 30, 2012, 3:43 pm

Was reading this on the stickman site this morning , seems this guy was not overly impressed with udons expats , perhaps he met some pattaya refugees

EMAIL OF THE WEEK - 24 hours in Udon!
I recently stayed a night in Udon Thani as I had a flight back to Bangkok the next day. I had heard there was a farang nightlife area in Udon and it just happened to be right beside my hotel so I decided to check it out around 10 PM. I was hungry and called into the Irish Clock. On the way in was an English idiot who's way of getting a drink was to say "Get me a beer, bitch!" He was obviously known there so he was tolerated but I suspect not well liked. I didn't get to sit down as when I asked if they were still serving food I was told in a not very friendly manner that food was feenit! I went to a small restaurant down the road and had a nice meal and a couple of beers. As I was finishing there was a commotion outside the Irish Clock and police were called. I thought at first that someone had tried to escape paying their bill but a couple of minutes later an ambulance arrived to take a not too seriously injured farang away. The aforementioned idiot accompanied him into the ambulance. What's the bet that these guys were getting a bit loose with their tongue and got taught a painful lesson? My next port of call was a bar complex which I think was called Day Night. I don't want to be too harsh but it appears these girls couldn't make it in Pattaya so came closer to home, though I must say they were friendly enough. However, I had the misfortune to meet two of the "I live in the real Thailand" type of farangs, who were aghast that I could ever live in a place such as Bangkok. When I quizzed them on where they had been outside of Nana, Cowboy or Patpong their argument lost its momentum. It just became a bit irksome for me and I left before finishing my last beer. I had planned to check out the gogo bars but frankly I had no wish to make contact with any more strange characters. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the Scottish monk! Each to their own but I'll be venturing out to different parts of Udon if I'm there again.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

one night in udon was to much

Post by BobHelm » July 30, 2012, 4:00 pm

That will teach him not to do some research first... :D
A quick glance at UdonMap would have told him that it closed for food at 10pm. Hardly a new experience, it has done so always in the 8 years that I have been here.
Given the 'press' that Day & Night gets on here I am not surprised that he found people who were not exactly social there. Again a bit of reading would have saved the pain & a short walk to Nutty Park would have been a completely different experience.

Can't completely disagree with what he wrote, however it is a bit rich to complain that locals know nothing about Bangkok when he could not even be bothered to research Udon.
Bit of a hatchet job on The Clock, all in all. It is telling that he managed to remember the name of a place that he couldn't eat in, but couldn't mention the name of the place that he did eat in &, it would appear, had a completely satisfactory experience..

dezzer
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer » July 30, 2012, 4:07 pm

Loas miner are you an Aussie ? youv'e done a lot of whinging for someone who dosn't know much about Udon have a word with yourself fella.
You'll Never Walk Alone L.F.C.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 30, 2012, 4:12 pm

The body of the post are not the words of Lao-miner.
He is quoting the *email of the week' from the http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/

I have added some quotes to his post to hopefully make it clearer...

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » July 30, 2012, 4:28 pm

Bob Helm wrote.....Bit of a hatchet job on The Clock, all in all. It is telling that he managed to remember the name of a place that he couldn't eat in, but couldn't mention the name of the place that he did eat in &, it would appear, had a completely satisfactory experience..

Yes Bob exactly what I thought, someone has done a job on the Irish Clock.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » July 30, 2012, 6:48 pm

A mate of mine went to Udon a couple of weeks ago to cross over to Lao for a visa run, I recomended he stay at the clock, upon his return he was far from satisfied, maybe the clock is doing a hatchet job on itself.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » July 30, 2012, 7:11 pm

coxo wrote:A mate of mine went to Udon a couple of weeks ago to cross over to Lao for a visa run, I recomended he stay at the clock, upon his return he was far from satisfied, maybe the clock is doing a hatchet job on itself.
Sorry Coxo, you recommended your mate The irish clock.....So you had a good experience yourself before..... :lol: :D
.......I'll be venturing out to different parts of Udon if I'm there again.
Glad to hear that he will come back.

After only one night Udon he wrote his experiences to Stickman and wrote about the 2 guys he met :-k :-k

If I could quizz him on where HE had been outside of Soy-sampan I think HIS argument(s) lost its momentum. :lol: :lol:
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » July 30, 2012, 7:42 pm

Yes I did, with a different owner however.

zoomzoom
udonmap.com

Post by zoomzoom » July 30, 2012, 8:00 pm

I believe that the problem is that "Stickman" believes in his own "celebrity" and that his followers will hang on his every word.

The guy used to write some good stuff (about Thai lifestyles/culture/potential bar girl problems etc.), which was invaluable to people visiting Thailand, as tourists and/or as potential residents.

However, the quality of his reports/writing has been going, dramatically, downhill for the past 3 years, or so, with him, seemingly, now believing he can determine (in advance) what people reading his blog SHOULD/MUST think.

That, for me, is the big difference - what started as him advising now, to have become him dictating!

One has to question why this is the case AND if he has, maybe, allowed himself to become too ingrained in the wrong side of Thai "culture"!

Why else would his, previous, "objectivity/humour" have, seemingly, gone out of the window?

:-k
What is hope??????

charlie1
udonmap.com

Post by charlie1 » July 30, 2012, 8:26 pm

stickman did not write the udon comments.........it was an e mail post sent in... seems there is alot on slows here in udon

zoomzoom
udonmap.com

Post by zoomzoom » July 30, 2012, 10:46 pm

charlie1 wrote:stickman did not write the udon comments.........it was an e mail post sent in... seems there is alot on slows here in udon
Please see the opening post.

If, though, you are suggesting that someone else is posturing/posting their views, as "Stickman's" would you, please, be kind enough to elucidate and educate all of the "SLOWS" on this forum?

I'm assuming that "charlie1" is our good friend Alan and should be read as such!
What is hope??????

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » July 31, 2012, 3:03 am

zoomzoom wrote:
charlie1 wrote:stickman did not write the udon comments.........it was an e mail post sent in... seems there is alot on slows here in udon
Please see the opening post.

If, though, you are suggesting that someone else is posturing/posting their views, as "Stickman's" would you, please, be kind enough to elucidate and educate all of the "SLOWS" on this forum?

I'm assuming that "charlie1" is our good friend Alan and should be read as such!
I will help you.
FROM STICK'S INBOX (These are emails from readers and what is written here was not written by Stick.)

EMAIL OF THE WEEK - 24 hours in Udon!
link

Lao-miner
udonmap.com

Post by Lao-miner » July 31, 2012, 6:13 am

dezzer wrote:Loas miner are you an Aussie ? youv'e done a lot of whinging for someone who dosn't know much about Udon have a word with yourself fella.
Dont shoot the messenger dezzer,I was posting the comments made by a poster on stickman and yes i am an aussie , and No im not a whinger, You may be correct that i dont know a lot about udon , i dont live there, i live in Laos ( and i can even spell Laos correctly), i might add that i am a big fan of udon and regularly visit the cowshed, nutty park and irish clock , no complaints from me .
Zoom Zoom, i agree with you totally stickman has been running hot and cold for years now , Have a word with yourself dezzer

dezzer
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer » July 31, 2012, 4:21 pm

Apologies are in order Laos Miner( spelt correct today Laos) also nothing against Aussies mate regards Dezzer.

dezzer
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer » July 31, 2012, 4:28 pm

Forgot to include sorry Lao Miner.Dezzer

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » July 31, 2012, 11:38 pm

Sounds like Trevor should be contacting Stickman to at least ask for the complainants email or at least reply,since Stickman is willing to post an email of someone who only stayed in Udon one night,forgets any other info except the Irish Clock.
Presumably an original emailers address,hate to think Stickman posts emails from strange names/spamlike addresses 8)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 1, 2012, 5:39 am

Agreeing with the sentiment not neccessarily the content of the Stickman report. it has been of late worse in udon for reasons I can only assume at because of the infglux of those who have relocated from other places of expat communities.
Once everyone knew almost everyone else. most were on nodding terms ith everyone, NOW that is not true, nodding a greeting to some now is met by a baleful stare as if you had crawled out of the proverbail, or you could get a smile , not often these days though.
So whereas fights were uncommon, they are now a reality and my nights out and enjoying myself amonsgt the bars etc are now limited as they hold no fun any more. i do not belong to the Pool playing clique, so in fact no need to brave the incessant banter at the bars.

bamngkok is like any other place only bigger bars and nightlife spread around a greater number of venues, but is it me or are some expats or even tourists gettting rowdier and more aggressive or is it my age.

Night life in udon has certainly changed and I would say not for the better which is a shame.

Lao-miner
udonmap.com

Post by Lao-miner » August 1, 2012, 6:00 am

dezzer wrote:Apologies are in order Laos Miner( spelt correct today Laos) also nothing against Aussies mate regards Dezzer.
No worries dezzer, Nice to see youre not just a key board warrior as the original poster to stickman seems to be,
Im guessing you read the post out of context and Thought i was the one ---- canning udon , Far from it , great little place IHMO ,

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » August 1, 2012, 7:07 am

Having a chuckle re reading the one night in Udon emailer,10pm Seaside 2 and Nobi have also finished food by then so where else would have been open :-k ,would be good to know as an option but alas no name :roll:
Normally you come across non Udonites spending a night in Udon only for one reason,doing a Visa run,shame he cannot do it simpler down Bangers way :roll:
Booking a no name Hotel down Soi Sampan,maybe chose the cheaper hotel opposite Nobis as opposed to the one next to the Clock :D

Wonder what vetting Stckman does with emails he chooses to post online,will wait next week for the 'one night in Pattaya'.'one night in Chiang Mai' and 'one night with the inlaws' :shock:

Must try and buy Stickman some fush and chups next door to the gogo bar he loves in Cowboy and politely ask him why he bothered to post the email =D>

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » August 1, 2012, 8:56 am

The ambulance was called for someone who was taken ill, not fighting as the poster on the Stickman blog alleged.

Playing in the Udon Pool League, I have never ever known the Udon Pool League to be a clique, everyone is welcome to take part whatever standard you are. Most of us are good friends, and enjoy the incessant banter.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”