Man when is it going to cool down?

General Udon Thani topics only!
bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » March 28, 2014, 3:16 pm

joepai wrote:If you have access to the roof space why does the roof need to be removed ? Depending on the depth of insulation you have on the ceilings, that can be increase easily and cheaply with the rolls of insulating materials from any of the big DIY outlets
Great Minds think alike :lol:

The roofs in First Homes are vented at each Tile ending. I have thought about that vent situp in the past. Everyone I seen thus far leaks when it rains, so I have shied away from them.

Tomorrow heat index shows 112 F anyway you cut it that's hot.

I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 28, 2014, 3:42 pm

I can't speak with any knowledge of how insulation works, but can speak from personal experience:
When we built our home, we used the thin cement panels as roofing and gypsum panels as ceiling. Oversized (way!) roof vents on the east and west provided at least some escape for the build up of hot air in the attic. Even with 10' ceilings, we could feel the heat radiate down into the living spaces on days like today. We added 4" of rolled insulation to the ceiling and that made a tremendous difference. Yes, it still got hot inside the house, but you didn't feel the heat radiate down.

Then we replaced our roof with rolled steel sheets, insulation glued to the underside. That further reduced the heat buildup inside the house.....and now on days like today, even in the unair conditioned parts of the house, it's very bearable (not cool.......but for people who don't like air conditioning, it would be suitable.

As others have said, first rules of the summer are......close up the house tight from 9am until the sun begins to set...about 5:30pm. If it's 95 outside and you want it to be 95 inside, open up the windows and doors and let the hot air in.
On some days when we return to the house in the middle of the afternoon, it only takes a few minutes of running the AC to bring the inside temps down to a comfy level. Before we added insulation, it was a constant struggle.

96.4F at kilo 18 today......peaked at 1:30PM.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » March 30, 2014, 4:55 pm

Twas hot today but had a loverly roast chicken and a couple of bottles of red wine indoors with aircon,marvellous :D

let the Thais sweat it out voting today \:D/

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 31, 2014, 2:42 pm

The Thai Weather Dept (กรมอุตุฯ ) has confirmed what our ants have been telling us for the past 36 hours: storm alert.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... -northeast
When we lived in Texas, swarming ants, busy carrying their eggs to safer ground often 'predicted' storms when the weather service, with all their radar and satellite feeds, didn't include rain in the forecast.
I don't really care who's right....the weatherants or the weatherman, I would just like a few degrees of relief from the heat......yesterday's high 99, today 98.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 31, 2014, 5:14 pm

Just remember where you are! The traditional Thai home doesn't need insulation, A/C or anything else but a gentle breeze. Get out of the city and take a look at the local architecture, use it and stay cool. This crap about building up market brick and mortar dwellings with insulation is only going to contain heat NOT get rid of it --- Unless you have unlimited funds to waste on power.

Same applies to most of our home countries traditional housing whether/weather hot or cold. In my case it's the Queenslander! (Google is your friend)
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » March 31, 2014, 6:25 pm

If your out in the Country it should be cooler no so much cement to hold the heat. The closer you are to pond the cooler it gets. Thai houses are designed for open windows all the way around, most don't have screens. So lots of bugs, probably with lizards to eat the critters. Zero security.

as usual there are trade offs.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 31, 2014, 6:45 pm

Forecast for Tomorrow ( Tuesday ) 43c for Nong Khai....... :shock: :shock:

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 1, 2014, 10:00 am

Hmm.... last 2 days the thermometer hit 42 degrees ..... and inside the house we had 37, in a room with no air conditioning. The walls are hot to the touch by 4pm.

Also, the fridge/freezer cannot cope (in thai kitchen with tin roof). Too hot to touch and the food and drink inside is tepid, not cold.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 1, 2014, 4:48 pm

Looks like we will get a cool down again with a major storm coming on the 4th of April. I could do without the hail though.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/715 ... paign=news

Since it's April 1, thought I better check a little further, looks real to me :D

Warning
"Hot Weather and Summer Thunderstorm"
No. 2 Time Issued : April 01, 2014

During 3-6 April, the rather strong high pressure will cover upper Thailand while hot to very hot weather occurs. In addition, during 4-7 April, the westerly trough will moves to the upper country. Summer thunderstorm will be likely following with thunderstorm, gust and isolated hail. The affected areas are shown periodically:
1. During 3-4 April, the provinces include Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan, Sakon Nakhon, Khon Kaen, Amnat Charoen, Ubon Ratchathani, Si Sa Ket, Surin, Buri Ram and Nakhon Ratchasima.
2. During 4-5 April, the provinces include Chaiyaphum, Phetchabun, Nakhon Sawan, Lop Buri, Sara Buri, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya and Chainat.
3. During 5-6 April, the provinces include Tak, Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Kamphaeng Phet, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Uttaradit and Phetchabun.
4. During 6-7 April, the provinces include Loei, Chaiyaphum, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nong Khai and Bueng Kan.
People in above areas should beware of the severe weather that leads to the loss of lives and properties.
The low pressure cell over the Malaca strait affects the torrential rain along the Andaman coast of Thailand. The strong wind waves are expected in thundershower areas.

The advisory will be effect on 23 March 2014 at 5.00 p.m.

(Signed) Worapat Tiewthanom

(Mr. Worapat Tiewthanom)

Director-General, Thai Meteorological Department

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 2, 2014, 10:22 pm

Nothing major, but a brief respite from the heat with a good dose of rain at kilo 18 this evening. Lightning, rain, and power out for 2 hours.....but no wind.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » April 2, 2014, 11:39 pm

Kilo 18?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » April 3, 2014, 12:13 am

Twas good,power out for 3 hours,plenty of wind,rain,lightning.The joys of LOS :shock: :D 8)

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » April 3, 2014, 9:14 am

Just a heads up for those syrup loving farangs in Udonsville, I think the next serious gust of wind and lightning is due Sunday/Monday 8)

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 3, 2014, 11:03 am

Well Yet Again..............No Wind, No Lightning ( Except in the distance ) Udon way,& NO Rain here in Nongers,It's NOT Fair you're getting all that " COOL " Weather in Udonsville !!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 6, 2014, 11:40 am

Missus Dero has reported a violent HAIL storm in our village at 23:00 the evening before last (4th Apr). Apparently my car (which is parked in an open ended car port) and the front of our home has sustained some minor damage.

I was home last time it hailed and it was all I could do to get the children under cover, their playful curiosity had the better of them!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » April 7, 2014, 4:56 am

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 7, 2014, 5:27 pm

just finishing up a 40 minute downpour with a small pitter patter of hail on the east side near the Horse Racing course.. Judging from the collection of water in the yard it might have dumped 25-30mm in that short period of time... Wonderfully cool and we don't have to water the plants tomorrow!! But... the wife is complaining about more mangoes blown off the trees...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 7, 2014, 5:52 pm

We got some pretty intense winds and 1/4" of rain.......several 1/4"rains over the past few weeks have been enough to green up the surrounding areas. A pleasant 76 degrees right now!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 7, 2014, 7:12 pm

High Winds & Heavy Rain at 04.00 am this morning, lasted around 45 Minutes....

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » April 8, 2014, 5:13 am

Finally you get some of weather that resembles a typical day in scouseland,a small downpour here,any more :-k

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”