Know a Western-Trained Dentist?

General Udon Thani topics only!
socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » November 27, 2014, 8:35 am

Maybe John Wayne or Clint Eastwood - I remember them knocking out rivals teeth in films. I think they were Western trained!

Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » November 27, 2014, 1:28 pm

Yes socksy I don't think they took Kung Fu lessons. I have just read a notorious London gangster called The Dentist has died. He was also western trained - probably self taught. He used pliers to remove teeth from his victims:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-27/n ... es/5922066
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » November 27, 2014, 1:33 pm

Macca wrote:Toof a trip to this place today, following a number of recommendations.
Clean & scrap plus 2 large fillings.
Well impressed by the standard and no problems going back again if required.

Total cost 2,700 baht
Cripes Udon is getting expensive now isn't it? Perhaps you guys don't think this is too bad given the dentist is considered a quality dentist.

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » November 27, 2014, 2:12 pm

GT93 wrote:
Macca wrote:Toof a trip to this place today, following a number of recommendations.

Total cost 2,700 baht
Cripes Udon is getting expensive now isn't it? Perhaps you guys don't think this is too bad given the dentist is considered a quality dentist.
You call 2,700 baht too expensive for medical treatment :shock: :shock: :shock: really.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » November 27, 2014, 2:29 pm

Yes, I think it's real expensive although it depends what you mean by deep fillings. I presume you aren't meaning root canal treatments. In NZ's largest city you could get the treatment you describe for NZ $300 to $400 easily (less in other parts of NZ or in poor parts of the largest city). That's 7,500 to 10,000 baht. I usually expect NZ prices to be 4 to 5 times more than Thai prices. Udon isn't Bangkok. I gather other dentists in Udon could do it for quite a bit less but it's a case of whether farang feel comfortable going there. And dentists earn big bucks in NZ even from quite a young age. It's a good career for those wanting to make some dough.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » November 27, 2014, 4:05 pm

Macca wrote:
GT93 wrote:

Total cost 2,700 baht
You call 2,700 baht too expensive for medical treatment :shock: :shock: :shock: really.
Not expensive by Western standards, but expensive by Udon standards. Here's the gimmick they use in their pricing structure. They all advertise 500 baht for fillings, but that is for a filling that is above the gum line. If it's below the gum line then they add another 300 baht to the bill. So, if the OP had two of those plus a cleaning then his bill could have been 2100 Baht. If he had no anesthesia and no other add-ons, then he only got beaten out of 600 baht. Guess he got the farang price!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » November 27, 2014, 4:36 pm

To be honest I am an absolute coward when it comes to the dentist.
The majority of things I will haggle over the price, having a stranger stick life threatening power tools in my mouth is not one of them.
I should add I also had 2 x-rays taken.
When I walked back to the waiting room I said "wow" to the wife because I was so surprised by the standard (didn't hurt a bit) of the work,
The wife informs me the key cutter in the night bazaar also carries out amputations and dental work for less than 500 baht a time but personally I would rather pay the extra. A fortnight on Archa and I'll have my money back.

len ames
udonmap.com

Re: Know a Western-Trained Dentist?

Post by len ames » September 24, 2022, 9:09 pm

Wattra clinic opposite bus station is very good cost me 3000 bht for taking out a front tooth which was a prosthetic one had to come out the bone had gone underneath it got me a new one all in the price

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”