Motor tax and insurance

General Udon Thani topics only!
dougmatelot

Motor tax and insurance

Post by dougmatelot » December 27, 2013, 5:02 pm

In 2004 I started my Thai life in Phuket; owned a Kawasaki Boss motorbike. When we shipped up in 2008; bought an Isuzu truck so Kawasaki was 'surplus to requirements'; and (genuinely) put in mothballs. When recently I inquired of the lady in the licensing office in Phen; how could I re-register the bike to make it legal. Her response was 'take the bike and yourself back to Phuket; and do it there'. Have any of our well informed Udonmap colleagues got a less drastic (and legal!!); solution?

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Motor tax and insurance

Post by ting_tong » December 27, 2013, 6:43 pm

take the bike, greenbook and your translator to a motor vehicle inspection center, they typically have a yellow gear logo on their sign.
might be easy to just pay them to do the service for you, they inspect the bike, take it to a transport office then handle all the paperwork

5 years of back tax and the bike being from another province may cost you a lot (just see if you can pay the road tax and keep the phuket plates)
in thailand, always best to keep a bike current on road tax even if you dont use it

dougmatelot

Motor tax and insurance

Post by dougmatelot » December 28, 2013, 1:09 pm

Thanks for that ting_tong; I'll give it a whirl; appreciate your tip about the Phuket plates; but in the current political situation in Thailand; it might be prudent to get Udon Plates!!
Appreciate your final point; it was easy in Phuket; got a neighbour to do it!!! Up here, in the village; no neighbors tax their bikes anyway; so no help to me. One positive though; I've always found the official staff at Phen most helpful. I got both motorbike and car licenses purely by showing my current UK/EU driving license, and a letter from immigration; no test, no tea money!!

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Motor tax and insurance

Post by kubotatim » December 28, 2013, 2:07 pm

If I were you I would go and ask in the small office under AEK hospital always very helpful in my experience.

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Motor tax and insurance

Post by ting_tong » January 1, 2014, 9:41 am

kubotatim wrote:If I were you I would go and ask in the small office under AEK hospital always very helpful in my experience.
he has to get the bike inspected (older than 5 years), they will tell him to go get an inspection, then go to the transport office............easier to have a service provided for a small fee.

good luck on the bike, dont worry about phuket plates........changing plates will take up to 2 months from my experience. it will be costly too.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”