Falang in Udon Police Station

General Udon Thani topics only!
classygeezer
udonmap.com

Post by classygeezer » December 3, 2014, 1:58 pm

Is there a British Consul in Udon who can visit this Guy.He was arrested for Overstay (14) Months sentenced to 105 Days of which He has done 15 in Udon Prison.He speaks hardly any Thai and he does not really know what will happen next.I am told he is likely to be sent to a prison for Overstays in BKK.He has no Money (of Course). If he asks the Police to contact the British Embassy will they!!

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » December 3, 2014, 2:09 pm

Question is what the hell was he doing over staying so long and what the heck did he expect to happen when caught?
There is no British consul up here.

An English fella I got to know recently served 51 days in a Bangkok detention centre (Suan Phlu) for a 7 month overstay.
He made several requests for an embassy visit and nothing happened. In the end the only way he got out was thanks to a friend from home flying over paying a bribe and taking him straight to swampy.
He informed me there is a number of foreigners, many nationalities, who are in the prison for quite some time and many have totally lost the plot, they have no one to help them out so on a long stretch for a simple over stay.
The embassies stance is they are not there for this kind of situation (or any other situation that involved working) and it it is up to the individual to climb out of the hole they dug for themselves.
Last edited by Macca on December 3, 2014, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » December 3, 2014, 2:13 pm

Forking amazing. Yet the Embassy will help and visit British Criminals serving time here by trying to get their sentences completed in the UK. In my mind the holes they dug for themselves are much deeper. [-X
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » December 3, 2014, 2:39 pm

He or someone he knows need to get in contact with family or friends who can pay is fine and provide a plane ticket back to England. He will have to serve his time though which will be at the immigration detention center in Bangkok. If no fine paid and no plane ticket he will not be released.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 3, 2014, 3:12 pm

There have been over the years many a foreigner who has fallen foul fo the laws here, this one it appears knew exactly what he was doing ans decided to risk it. WELL he lost the battle of wits between him and the RTP Immigration department and now must I am afraid pay the piper.
There is no way the Embassy will help especially has he has blatantly circumnavigated the law, his stay will be I am sure quite considerable he will of course enjoy the festive season locked up, he should however be offered a call to the Embassy so that they can contact his family.

I am afraid unlike someone who is very ill or due to circumstances beyond his control is incarcerated I do not feel inclined to offer him anything but a comment, you made the choice now you can live with the consequences, it is not as if he is in a life threatening situation is it.

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » December 3, 2014, 3:47 pm

Is there a British Consul in Udon who can visit this Guy.He was arrested for Overstay (14) Months sentenced to 105 Days of which He has done 15 in Udon Prison.He speaks hardly any Thai and he does not really know what will happen next.I am told he is likely to be sent to a prison for Overstays in BKK.He has no Money (of Course). If he asks the Police to contact the British Embassy will they!!

I only wish people would answer the question as it is asked and not preach
Will the Thai Police contact the Embassy? I don't have the answer as I am sure no one here has either only the Thai Police can answer that. If you care to help a call to the Embassy or email from yourself with any information would be appreciated I am sure

Hope this helps
Ding

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » December 3, 2014, 4:19 pm

dingdong wrote: I only wish people would answer the question as it is asked and not preach
Will the Thai Police contact the Embassy? I don't have the answer as I am sure no one here has either only the Thai Police can answer that. If you care to help a call to the Embassy or email from yourself with any information would be appreciated I am sure

Hope this helps
Ding
Strange one that.
Your lecture provides less information to the original questions than those you criticise.
The message seems quite clear that there is consul up here and that it is very unlikely the Embassy will offer any help.
It is for the friends and family to help resolve this situation.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » December 3, 2014, 4:46 pm

classygeezer wrote:Is there a British Consul in Udon who can visit this Guy.He was arrested for Overstay (14) Months sentenced to 105 Days of which He has done 15 in Udon Prison.He speaks hardly any Thai and he does not really know what will happen next.I am told he is likely to be sent to a prison for Overstays in BKK.He has no Money (of Course). If he asks the Police to contact the British Embassy will they!!
No harm in him asking the police if they will contact the Embassy. Since you know about this guy in detention is there anyway you can help in getting from him an email of a relative or friend that you could send an email on his behalf :-k They should then take it up with the embassy or maybe a local consulate in the uk by telephone or from the tel nos in the download link below for help/procedure etc.

So he is paying back the 20k overstay charge by 200 baht a day for each day in detention,so he would need additionally the flight ticket costs.

Strange no money whatsoever,how has he been staying here for so long with a roof over his head and food :-k

A download link with some info from http://www.gov.uk 8)
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n_Pack.pdf

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » December 3, 2014, 4:55 pm

Let's put it this way, he's lucky it's cool season .....

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 3, 2014, 5:37 pm

I tend to agree with some that there are non constructive posts in this thread and we are not the judges or juries!

Firstly if he is "Potless" and has no one to help him out he is knackered. The sooner someone (family, friends any one accept the British Embassy) comes up with an air fare + 20K Baht the better.

Just to bad he could have gone before the courts the day after his arrest (normal procedure) and pleaded "Guilty" then paid the fine --- he would have paid 10K for the guilty plea as per the normal Thai Court procedure. The hurdles after that are very low as some of us here know from witnessed experiences.

One thing for sure the Expat (Accept the USA) Embassies go out of there way to do NOTHING for their citizens in trouble here.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » December 3, 2014, 6:20 pm

dingdong wrote:Is there a British Consul in Udon who can visit this Guy.He was arrested for Overstay (14) Months sentenced to 105 Days of which He has done 15 in Udon Prison.He speaks hardly any Thai and he does not really know what will happen next.I am told he is likely to be sent to a prison for Overstays in BKK.He has no Money (of Course). If he asks the Police to contact the British Embassy will they!!

I only wish people would answer the question as it is asked and not preach

Hope this helps
Ding

Help for British nationals arrested abroad pertaining to Thailand

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) or the nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate can give advice on local laws and procedures, contact friends and family and help find a lawyer.

The person arrested or detained should contact the nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate as soon as possible - the police might also do this on their behalf.

The British embassy, high commission or consulate will contact the arrested person within 24 hours of being told about the arrest and try to visit them as soon as possible.

The British consulate will also arrange for friends and family to be told:

the person’s been arrested
details of the arrest
contact details for the arrested person

The FCO can only give out this information if the arrested person has given their permission.
Help available

The FCO and British consulate can offer help to arrested persons or prisoners. This includes:

providing general information about the country, prison conditions and the local legal system (including if legal aid is available)
providing a list of local lawyers and interpreters
telling the police or prison doctor about any medical or dental problems with the arrested person’s permission
helping with complaints about the police or prison (eg, ill treatment, personal safety, discrimination) with the arrested person or prisoner’s permission
sending money to the arrested person from their family
sending messages between the arrested person and their family
putting the prisoners in touch with the charity Prisoners Abroad
helping British prisoners apply for a transfer to UK where possible
visiting prisoners when needed

Download prisoner packs and other helpful information

The FCO has produced guides explaining the legal and prison system in different countries for British nationals arrested abroad.

Prisoner pack for Thailand

English speaking lawyers and translators/interpreters in Thailand

Read more about how the FCO can help someone arrested abroad.

Support for British nationals

In prison abroad
Transfers back to the UK

What the FCO and British consulate can’t do

The FCO and British consulate won’t be able to:

get someone out of prison or detention
help someone get special treatment
offer legal advice, start legal proceedings or investigate a crime
pay for any costs as a result of being arrested
forward packages sent by friends or family to an arrested person or prisoner
prevent authorities from deporting a British national after release

Dual nationals

The FCO and British consulate can help a dual British national (with a valid British passport) as long as they’re arrested in a country other than the one they hold dual nationality with.

They won’t get involved if someone’s arrested in a country for which they hold a valid passport, unless there’s a special humanitarian reason to do so.

https://www.gov.uk/help-if-you-are-arre ... y/thailand

classygeezer
udonmap.com

Post by classygeezer » December 3, 2014, 6:55 pm

Khun Paul wrote:There have been over the years many a foreigner who has fallen foul fo the laws here, this one it appears knew exactly what he was doing ans decided to risk it. WELL he lost the battle of wits between him and the RTP Immigration department and now must I am afraid pay the piper.
There is no way the Embassy will help especially has he has blatantly circumnavigated the law, his stay will be I am sure quite considerable he will of course enjoy the festive season locked up, he should however be offered a call to the Embassy so that they can contact his family.

I am afraid unlike someone who is very ill or due to circumstances beyond his control is incarcerated I do not feel inclined to offer him anything but a comment, you made the choice now you can live with the consequences, it is not as if he is in a life threatening situation is it.
You sound like the smug self satisfied kind of Person who is devoid of any kind of Human Compassion.You actually sound pleased that this Stupid Man will be in Prison over Christmas!! I wish you and Yours a very Merry Christmas!!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 3, 2014, 7:03 pm

Didn't Trubrit claim to represent the UK consulate up here years ago with prison visits etc

I can remember various mentions of visits for some guy with a murder wrap ????

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Re: Falang in Udon Police Station

Post by JoeThrows » December 3, 2014, 7:28 pm

There was at least two months warning that they were going to be "flushing out" long time expats on tourist visas. The penalties were clearly stated. Your embassy is not here to bail you out of self created hardship.

If you were wrongly arrested, detained or even in an accident that necessitated big hospital bills they are there to assist you in making sure you are represented and relatives abroad alerted etc.

They aren't there to lie in the bed that you made. Skip the embassy and ask him if he has any family or friends, they are the people who can be relied upon to forgive us our transgressions, not the state.

mac1966
udonmap.com

Re: Falang in Udon Police Station

Post by mac1966 » December 3, 2014, 9:08 pm

It is extremely difficult to speak to anyone at The British embassy. Calls, messages and emails are screened and only actionable if deemed important. They will only contact the guys relatives or friends. Something that the op can do if he has the details.

I did report a death of a British citizen to the embassy some time ago and they were extremely diligent in ensuring his passport was returned to them. They didn't want to know how, why or what he died of.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 4, 2014, 7:30 am

Actually i did email a freind I have in the british Embassy stating the Forum and the posts so far, I am sure if they want to help they will even if it is only a phone call to their friends. And NO I am not smug but after a decade of living here with so many trying to circumnavigate the system and then shouting help me, one gets a little blase about shouts for help unless of course they are justified aka accidents deaths etc.
No I am not glad he is here in prison for Christmas but for the last 14 months this man has done nothing to help himself, so what in hell are we supposed to do after these 14 months bail him out, just because he is bloody lazy.
I am not either judge or executioner, he has made his bed.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 4, 2014, 9:01 am

Having just learnt of the identity of the Foreigner in udon Police station, I can tell you I have over the past 10 years bailed said person out of that place twice, and do not intend to get him out again, he is a product of his own stupidity and unfortunately does deserve his current predicament. He is not a stupid man far from it having taught at various schools in Udon and Chiang Mai ( where he was asked to leave ) for some years, so in reality it comes even more so as NO surprise.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » December 4, 2014, 9:22 am

So it's "Som Naam nah" then! Some people never learn! :roll:
Mai mee tahng !

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 4, 2014, 9:40 am

Before anyone leaves their home country they should have a plan "B". That plan should have an emergency cash nest egg that is enough for a ticket home and a couple months of rent for a small place to stay until you find a job and get settled in. Thailand is a great place to retire, IF you have money. Being broke in Thailand is NOT fun.

wilson_smith
udonmap.com

Post by wilson_smith » December 4, 2014, 9:50 am

if it is the same person I am thinking about, yes he deserves to be in there

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”